Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official LOST Season 6 thread***

Episode Title: (#616) "What They Died For"

Air Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LOCKE DEVISES A NEW STRATEGY, AND JACK'S GROUP SEARCHES FOR DESMOND, ON ABC'S "LOST"

Michelle Rodriguez Guest Stars as Ana Lucia

Mira Furlan Guest Stars as Danielle Rousseau

"What They Died For" - While Locke devises a new strategy, Jack's group searches for Desmond, on "Lost," TUESDAY, MAY 18 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

About time they came back.

Going in with LOW expectations. We'll see what happens.

This.

I'll watch it tomorrow at work and then come here to mock you all.

Going in with LOW expectations. We'll see what happens.

Like most girls do when they go on a date with you! Oh snap!

Episode Title: (#616) "What They Died For"

Air Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LOCKE DEVISES A NEW STRATEGY, AND JACK'S GROUP SEARCHES FOR DESMOND, ON ABC'S "LOST"

"What They Died For" - While Locke devises a new strategy, Jack's group searches for Desmond, on "Lost," TUESDAY, MAY 18 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

:bandana: Awesome, they really need to bring Eko back at some point as well.

I think we are all still shaken from last week's disappointment. However, like i said, i thought all the episodes after the Mr.Linus dung pile have been very good. This should go back to being in the awesome category.

now that I think about it...they still haven't revealed Jack's baby momma...is it one of these chicks? Yeah, I got nuthin...just talkin' to talk.

:bandana: Awesome, they really need to bring Eko back at some point as well.

I think we are all still shaken from last week's disappointment. However, like i said, i thought all the episodes after the Mr.Linus dung pile have been very good. This should go back to being in the awesome category.

It'll be awesome if you give a damn about explosions, seeing some people die, and if you really care about Jack becoming the next Jacob. After tonight's episode, you should go rent 2012. I hear it's an awesome movie. :bandana:

However if you care at all about why it even matters for Jack to become the next Jacob, or if you give a damn about anything that happened in seasons 1-5, then tonight's episode and the finale promise to be the total suck.

It'll be awesome if you give a damn about explosions, seeing some people die, and if you really care about Jack becoming the next Jacob. After tonight's episode, you should go rent 2012. I hear it's an awesome movie. :music_guitarred:

However if you care at all about why it even matters for Jack to become the next Jacob, or if you give a damn about anything that happened in seasons 1-5, then tonight's episode and the finale promise to be the total suck.

We'll see, i think this season has done a decent job of answering questions, it's just a lot of people aren't happy with the answers and are frustrated because they are not answering the small, nagging questions that plague us all. I was disappointed with the last episode, wanted a better explanation of the light. The light is the key to the whole series, and they just said it's a light in a cave; it's life, death, rebirth, ect. I have faith, but i need a better explanation than that. It could be the garden of Eden, i think it says in the bible if anyone were to return to it, all the evils of man would run over the earth or something like that. However, i won't lie, if it doesn't get explained better i will leave with a sour taste in my mouth like most of you.

Also, 2012 was a horrible movie.

We'll see, i think this season has done a decent job of answering questions, it's just a lot of people aren't happy with the answers and are frustrated because they are not answering the small, nagging questions that plague us all. I was disappointed with the last episode, wanted a better explanation of the light. The light is the key to the whole series, and they just said it's a light in a cave; it's life, death, rebirth, ect. I have faith, but i need a better explanation than that. It could be the garden of Eden, i think it says in the bible if anyone were to return to it, all the evils of man would run over the earth or something like that. However, i won't lie, if it doesn't get explained better i will leave with a sour taste in my mouth like most of you.

Also, 2012 was a horrible movie.

No.

Nobody gives a damn about the small questions. We only care about the big questions.

What is the island? Answer that and I can figure out the rest. But they aren't going to answer that beyond "a place where MIB can't leave or the world will cease to be a happy fun pretty place".

I've defended the writers for years, but they officially never had a clue. They were ok when the show was simply going to be Lord of the Flies. The minute they mixed in mystery and the supernatural with a promise of something bigger, they were in way over their heads.

No.

Nobody gives a damn about the small questions. We only care about the big questions.

What is the island? Answer that and I can figure out the rest. But they aren't going to answer that beyond "a place where MIB can't leave or the world will cease to be a happy fun pretty place".

I agree, but i think a lot of people had their expectations way too high. It's a show. The writers are good, but they are not perfect. It is really hard to conclude a series as epic as Lost. They are on record as saying that they will not answer all questions, especially about mythology, and not everyone will be happy with the ending. I know we all think we are in the majority, but we are actually the minority. The fact is most people watching it are stay at home moms, pvssified guys who probably cried when the Kwons died while the rest of us laughed and rejoiced. The intellectual guys who analyze everything about the show and are scrutinizing this season are, what the Lost writer's refer to as, the "Loud Minority". The writers are trying to please the majority, instead of the minority. There was no way they were going to make everyone happy.

I saw this coming before this season, i decided whatever, i am just going to roll with it and enjoy it instead of punching babies because they won't tell me how the statue got there.

However, i completely agree, they NEED to explain the island itself better. We know that it contains MIB and MIB can't leave and if he does we are all screwed. It could also contain the contents of hell, we are not too sure on that(maybe MIB is hell in himself). It has a light that warps the fabric of space-time, and can be manipulated to move the island in space-time and can instantaneously particle transfer people to Tunisia. The light is supposedly "Life, death, rebirth" and is contained in every man; an if it goes out, i guess we all die. Ok, that's fine and dandy, but the writers have to connect these and further elaborate what these mean and why this is. If they do that, i will be a focking happy camper for the rest of my life.

Wow, never noticed that Faraday was in Saving Private Ryan......

I would guess if you look back about 800 posts in this thread I stated that. :pointstosky:

He was more of a puss in Ryan.

:music_guitarred:

I would guess if you look back about 800 posts in this thread I stated that. :pointstosky:

He was more of a puss in Ryan.

:doh: Ma bad homie. He always plays a weird, jittery guy that got him the nickname "Twitchy" the only other movie i remember him was Twister were he played another weird guy.

What is the island?

For what it's worth, I hope they never answer this question. I like the mystery.

I also don't care much about all these questions people have. I think the major questions have been answered. I just want a strong final two episodes that restores my faith in the series.

Ok, one big thing I'd like answered (or even partially answered) is the space-time properties of "the light of life" in the Lucky Charms cave. i.e. why were they traveling through time last season AND what's up with Desmond (these have the same answer, IMO)?

;) Ma bad homie. He always plays a weird, jittery guy that got him the nickname "Twitchy" the only other movie i remember him was Twister were he played another weird guy.

That actor is like a poor man's Jeff Goldblum who hit the crack pipe instead of the gym.

Um, just got done.

It's official that Jack is the candidate.

Time lines are about to clash.

Locke wants to destroy the island, not leave it, and i am guessing destroy the world as we know it.

Um, Desmond is the key to everything, but we don't really know what side he is on.

Um, that is what i got out of this episode. Yeah.

What a great episode. :blink:

...just not sure why Locke would tell Ben that he's going to destroy the Island considering Ben turned power-hungry again when told he could have the Island all to himself.

It's not relevant to the storyline per se, but I'm really happy to see that Ben and Danielle have a potential relationship blooming...where he could actually become Alex's father. Got I love Alex. The things I would do...

And I'll see if I can find it but way back someone gave some spoilers calling them minor...turns out that they're not so minor afterall.

...and finally, looks like Kate / Jack are going to awaken each other at David's piano concert. Desmond is a badass.

Meh. The first half hour, absolutely nothing happened. Yay, pudding!!!

Also, I liked how Miles and Claire just vanished for no reason.

What a great episode. :blink:

...just not sure why Locke would tell Ben that he's going to destroy the Island considering Ben turned power-hungry again when told he could have the Island all to himself.

I was thinking the same thing. I think the next time we see those 2 together Ben will be like "But, i thought i get the island?" - "Um, i'll give you another island"

For what it's worth, I hope they never answer this question. I like the mystery.

I also don't care much about all these questions people have. I think the major questions have been answered. I just want a strong final two episodes that restores my faith in the series.

Ok, one big thing I'd like answered (or even partially answered) is the space-time properties of "the light of life" in the Lucky Charms cave. i.e. why were they traveling through time last season AND what's up with Desmond (these have the same answer, IMO)?

I'm not sure if you are insane, or just determined to defend the show no matter what. But to say you hope we never find out what the island is may be the most idiotic statement I have read.

The second most idiotic statement I have read is when you said they'd answered most of the major questions already.

I'm not sure if you are insane, or just determined to defend the show no matter what. But to say you hope we never find out what the island is may be the most idiotic statement I have read.

I'm sorry my tastes in narrative don't jive with yours.

Novelist Tim O'Brien said something very interesting at a reading once. We were in a bookstore, and he said, " there isn't one real mystery in the MYSTERY section here. All the plots are solved by the end, the mystery explained and over with. Those aren't mysteries. A real mystery remains a mystery."

I meant it when I said I hope they never reveal what the island is. I've seen enough. The light of life. The origin of the smoke monster. Just want to know about the time traveling and the link to LAX. That's it.

Missed tonights episode due to a prior engagement. Where do I go to watch it tonight since ABC hasn't posted it yet? Can't wait for tomorrow. I know it's been posted before, but this thread is long. TIA!

Also, I liked how Miles and Claire just vanished for no reason.

claire, lapidus, miles, alpert ? (in that order)

maybe claire helped desmond get out of the well

also wondering what happened to the stewardess and the 2 children

did they leave the temple and join flocke...and then he killed them?

jvirne - you say you don't care about "the little things" but things like why can't babies be conceived and subsequently born on the island were main plot points earlier in the series (leading to why they took walt to do tests on him, why ethan kidnapped claire, why they wanted alex, an episode showing juliet successfully deliver dharma baby [ethan], etc)

it really kills the re-watch value to know many mysteries appear to be abandoned...unless its a heck of a final 2.5 hours

jack's son's mama has to be juliet....or maybe eko

Jack's sons mom is....Jack's x-wife, i thought that was obvious.

The incident caused the birth defects, it wasn't fully explained but i honestly don't really care, it doesn't have bearing on the series.

A lot of questions have been answered, people just like to complain.

Claire is a quinky dink, we will find out in the finale, they said all of the character's story will be concluded.

I am pretty sure Lepidus died, but probably not. We saw Miles, he ran into the jungle when MIB came.

Missed tonights episode due to a prior engagement. Where do I go to watch it tonight since ABC hasn't posted it yet? Can't wait for tomorrow. I know it's been posted before, but this thread is long. TIA!

Here:

http://so.tudou.com/isearch/lost/

It's not a direct link because it's not up yet, but should be very, very soon. It's usually already up by now.

:doh: Ma bad homie. He always plays a weird, jittery guy that got him the nickname "Twitchy" the only other movie i remember him was Twister were he played another weird guy.

Ah, I don't care, everyone around here ignores my posts, I am pretty much here for self gratification. :doublethumbsup:

Just wanted some credit for calling it first. :dunno:

Don't recall him in twister.

:lock: ;)

No.

I've defended the writers for years, but they officially never had a clue. They were ok when the show was simply going to be Lord of the Flies. The minute they mixed in mystery and the supernatural with a promise of something bigger, they were in way over their heads.

I agree.

I'm trying to think back to why i liked this show so much in the first place.

Been way to long since i posted....but Lost has got me back

Thank god there is only 1 more episode left. This whole series has left me deflated.

No way we get all that we want on Sunday. There well be a movie that i well not go see.

Anyone have any links to any of the lost actresses nude or topless? That i want to see.

now that I think about it...they still haven't revealed Jack's baby momma...is it one of these chicks? Yeah, I got nuthin...just talkin' to talk.

My guess is it's What's Her Name...the chick that's now on V. She could make another one episode guess spot appearance revealing she's Jack's ex-wife.

Time lines are about to clash.

Locke wants to destroy the island, not leave it, and i am guessing destroy the world as we know it.

My thought all along this season was that someone would go back in time and sink the island in the last ep. That would leave the LAX timeline as the "real" future of everyone. This looks like it may be the case.

My thought all along this season was that someone would go back in time and sink the island in the last ep. That would leave the LAX timeline as the "real" future of everyone. This looks like it may be the case.

The two narratives seem to be colliding from both sides.

Desmond is the puppetmaster in LAX, bringing everyone together to remind them of their lost selves. And now MIB is going to try to destroy/sink the island.

The series finale has hope yet.

A lot of questions have been answered, people just like to complain.

I agree that people like to complain, but the catch is I'm not one of those people. I've been in these LOST threads for years and talking about it with people from the beginning. I always believed the writers were genius and I defended every criticism til my teeth hurt.

Thing is, my confidence in a grand plan slowly wavered and I found myself falling silent more and more often in LOST debates. But now I've been liberated. The writers are clueless. It feels good to get that weight off my chest. You should try it. I truly is a liberating feeling.

------

"A lot of questions" have not been answered. In fact, nothing important has been answered. People point to "now we know what the smoke monster is" like that was the only mystery they cared about, but even that's BS. We have no clue what the smoke monster actually is. Yes, we know its MIB, but what the hell is he or it?

Sure, we know most of the characters human histories, but when it comes to the supernatural aspects of the show, we know absolutely nothing. They haven't answered a single question really. The answer for everything is "the light of life in the lucky charms cave made everything mysterious you ever saw happen. How? Magic!". It's one of TV's all time cop outs.

The writers duped us all. They told us for years there was a grand plan, a big reveal, an explanation for everything. They lied as there was never a grand plan/explanation but they hoped they could cheat and come up with something in the end. They couldn't and now the company line is "The show was never about mystery. It was always about the characters". They lied and duped us all. Accept it. Unload the burden of defending the indefensible.

The series finale has hope yet.

The series finale has plenty of hope to be entertaining. In fact, I expect it to be.

But it has zero hope in saving the show as a whole. For years we were told that the island was the most important character on the show. Now we are being told the island is a non factor.

Entertaining show because they sucked us in with the promise of something more. But in the end it was poorly acted and one of the worst written shows of all time. A sad conclusion really for a show that entertained me quite a bit.

And yes, I know it seems strange to say a show sucked when it entertained me. But the issue with LOST is that it entertained by inviting you to solve a puzzle. In the end, there was no puzzle.

I can't believe we all wasted so much time paying attention to names, book titles people were reading, hieroglyphics on walls, fricking numbers that were supposed to have meaning, etc. We studied and researched and spent hours debating. In the end none of that was ever even remotely important or a clue to anything. "It was just a show about some characters".

The series finale has plenty of hope to be entertaining. In fact, I expect it to be.

But it has zero hope in saving the show as a whole. For years we were told that the island was the most important character on the show. Now we are being told the island is a non factor.

Entertaining show because they sucked us in with the promise of something more. But in the end it was poorly acted and one of the worst written shows of all time. A sad conclusion really for a show that entertained me quite a bit.

And yes, I know it seems strange to say a show sucked when it entertained me. But the issue with LOST is that it entertained by inviting you to solve a puzzle. In the end, there was no puzzle.

I can't believe we all wasted so much time paying attention to names, book titles people were reading, hieroglyphics on walls, fricking numbers that were supposed to have meaning, etc. We studied and researched and spent hours debating. In the end none of that was ever even remotely important or a clue to anything. "It was just a show about some characters".

Repeat after me. "Season Six never existed. The show ended with the bomb."

That qualifies LOST as one of the best TV shows ever.

And I had less unanswered questions at the end of Season 5 than I do now. The answers we have gotten have been really cheesy and stupid. I crossed your name off Kate because you became a mother. So stealing babies is a reason? But it's just chalk through a name. You can still have the job, Kate. What the fock?

Repeat after me. "Season Six never existed. The show ended with the bomb."

That qualifies LOST as one of the best TV shows ever.

Juliet's boobies end the show.

Works for me.

The writers duped us all. They told us for years there was a grand plan, a big reveal, an explanation for everything. They lied as there was never a grand plan/explanation but they hoped they could cheat and come up with something in the end. They couldn't and now the company line is "The show was never about mystery. It was always about the characters". They lied and duped us all. Accept it. Unload the burden of defending the indefensible.

Perhaps that is the "long con" I have been trying to identify as the series winds down? :music_guitarred:

claire, lapidus, miles, alpert ? (in that order)

maybe claire helped desmond get out of the well

also wondering what happened to the stewardess and the 2 children

did they leave the temple and join flocke...and then he killed them?

jvirne - you say you don't care about "the little things" but things like why can't babies be conceived and subsequently born on the island were main plot points earlier in the series (leading to why they took walt to do tests on him, why ethan kidnapped claire, why they wanted alex, an episode showing juliet successfully deliver dharma baby [ethan], etc)

it really kills the re-watch value to know many mysteries appear to be abandoned...unless its a heck of a final 2.5 hours

jack's son's mama has to be juliet....or maybe eko

Claire...not sure.

Miles...they showed him with Ben...he ran and took a walkie talkie.

Alpert...we were led to believe the smoke monster killed him given smokie came in and drilled him.

Lapidus we are led to believe died in the sub at this point.

Not sure why anyone thinks they just vanished other than Claire.

Some who were with Locke were killed when Widmore was "bombing" them on the beach.