Sign in to follow this  
bearwithbigclaws

Flex Help Needed--No Idea What to Do

Looking for help picking a WR/RB flex spot for Week 1. 12-team, 0.5 PPR League. My options:

A. Boldin @ NYJ - Not sure I like the matchup vs. Revis, fit or not... Though he is undoubtedly the best talent I have for the Flex.

B. Berrian @ NO - Solid history against the Saints (9 rec for 102 yds in NFC Championship Game). Should be high-scoring?

J. Gaffney @ JAX - Looks like Orton's favorite target, excellent preseason (though I admit the preseason shouldn't affect my decision).

C. Portis vs. DAL - Lock for 15+ carries, though historically he's been hit or miss against the Cowboys. Not sure what to make of Skins O-Line...

M. Barber @ WAS - Washington's run D looked pitiful during preseason, floor of 40 total yards and a TD?

I'm really torn, because I'm not seeing one clear cut decision here... I think Berrian has the highest ceiling, though Portis/Barber have the highest floor. Another option would be to bench Wes Welker (vs CIN) in favor of Berrian/Boldin/Gaffney and rolling with one of the RBs in the flex spot. I'm starting Steve Smith (CAR) in the other WR slot and Rice and SJax in the RB spots. Any thoughts?

Looking for help picking a WR/RB flex spot for Week 1. 12-team, 0.5 PPR League. My options:

A. Boldin @ NYJ - Not sure I like the matchup vs. Revis, fit or not... Though he is undoubtedly the best talent I have for the Flex.

B. Berrian @ NO - Solid history against the Saints (9 rec for 102 yds in NFC Championship Game). Should be high-scoring?

J. Gaffney @ JAX - Looks like Orton's favorite target, excellent preseason (though I admit the preseason shouldn't affect my decision).

C. Portis vs. DAL - Lock for 15+ carries, though historically he's been hit or miss against the Cowboys. Not sure what to make of Skins O-Line...

M. Barber @ WAS - Washington's run D looked pitiful during preseason, floor of 40 total yards and a TD?

I'm really torn, because I'm not seeing one clear cut decision here... I think Berrian has the highest ceiling, though Portis/Barber have the highest floor. Another option would be to bench Wes Welker (vs CIN) in favor of Berrian/Boldin/Gaffney and rolling with one of the RBs in the flex spot. I'm starting Steve Smith (CAR) in the other WR slot and Rice and SJax in the RB spots. Any thoughts?

Tough Choice. I'd prolly start Portis or Berrian. Agreed that Berrian has highest ceiling and Portis the highest floor.

Thanks for answering mine.

I dont entirely agree.

I think Barber has the highest ceiling. He is in a RBBC right now where he is not listed as the starter. if he regains the starting role as a result of strong play, he will by far and away have the best potential of the bunch.

with that being said, you cant bet on this.

I would look at portis. he is currently listed as the starter, and should start week 1. It wouldnt surprise me if LJ took some carries from him. Shanahan (coach) has a reputation of listing one starter but giving someone else more carries from time to time. This kind of scares me.

Regardless of that situation, If he starts, Portis should put up more fantasy points than any of the WR's listed.

Boldin is likely the safest pick as he is not likely to lose his starting job unless he gets hurt & cant play. As he is not on the injury report, he should receive strong consideration.

so to me, your decision is between Boldin and Portis. Portis is slightly more risky, but is more likely to put up good numbers if he actually gets the bulk of the carries.

For Barber, I'd look at his last year as a backup in a RBBC with the old Jones and use that as a benchmark for what I'd expect from him this year.

Boldin is likely the safest pick as he is not likely to lose his starting job unless he gets hurt & cant play. As he is not on the injury report, he should receive strong consideration.

so to me, your decision is between Boldin and Portis. Portis is slightly more risky, but is more likely to put up good numbers if he actually gets the bulk of the carries.

For Barber, I'd look at his last year as a backup in a RBBC with the old Jones and use that as a benchmark for what I'd expect from him this year.

But is it correct to play Boldin against Revis? In the second half of last year, no WR1 went for more than ~ 5 recs, 40 yards against the Jets (including Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, and Steve Smith).

Regarding Berrian, I meant only that he had a high ceiling for week 1... But I still think he's a risky play. And barring a 1st quarter Felix Jones injury, Barber doesn't stand to get more than 10-13 carries--though I suspect a number of those will occur inside the twenty (and he's currently listed as RB1 on Dallas's depth chart).

Portis should get 15-17 carries, even with Shanahan coaching, right? Do I just go with Portis, assuming he will get the most guaranteed touches in a neutral matchup?

I'd go with Gaffney. He's the undisputed WR1 on his team and the Jags' secondary is bad. I don't think 7/90/1 is out of the question. Both he and Orton are good plays this weekend.