Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

*** Official College Bowl Games Gambling Thread***

2011 Bowl Record ATS: 10-5

Iowa State -1.5 Rutgers: As a proud memer of the Scarlet Knights athletic family (upset #10 Florida last night in men's hoops!), I'd love to ride with my almost mater here. Games in Yankee Stadium, which should draw a nice pro-RU crowd. But this game is a real bonus for Rutgers, who was picked by most to finish dead last in the conference and damn near won the title. Good things await next season, but they've been fortunate to get here with a really impotent offense. Iowa State made a QB switch late in the season whcih resulted in the win over Ok State. Their defense was also among the top 25-30 in the nation over the last half dozen games. add in their schedule, the toughest in the country according to some rankings, and I like the Cyclones. A HAPPY LOSER ON THIS ONE!

Wake Forest +6.5 Mississippi State: Wake got crushed by Vandy of the SEC at home a few weeks ago. They've been on a slide the entire second half of the season. They hold the edge at QB, as Price is a keeper and MSU has had a revolving door at that position this year, but really just don't do anything very well. They are a perfect reflection of their 6-6 record. The Bulldogs thought they were going to be contenders this year but their offensive woes killed whatever chances they might have had. They can play defense. I've got a weird feeling about this game. MSU thought they'd end up in a bigger bowl, Wake is excited to be here after no bowls the last two years and has something to prive after getting shellacked by Vandy. I think the extra practice time benefits the Deacons and they cover, if not win outright. WINNER

Iowa +16.5 Oklahoma: Conventional wisdom says if Iowa plays it's best game and Oklahoma plays OK, the Sooners still win handily. But OU is without it's best RB and all-world WR, and they sure thought they were going to be somewhere other than the Insight Bowl. Iowa has to play a really good game, especially offensively, and they haven't done that consistently. But Ferentz's teams have won 3 straight bowls and tend to get up for high profile opponents (won 3 of their last 4 vs SEC teams). They're familiar with the Insight (where 4 of the last 6 have been decided by 5 pts or less), having been here last year where they stole a game from favored Missouri. I just don't see Oklahoma sustaining the energy and emotion to cover this many points. LOSER

Good luck to all!

Not sure where you are getting Iowa +16.5, it started at 16 and is now down to 13.5 everywhere I've seen. You do realize Iowa is without their leading rusher, Marcus Coker, for conduct reasons. The next RB in line has only ran the ball 18 times this year.

With all the injuries to OK on the offensive side of the ball, I think points will be hard to come by and took U 57.5. If I had to pick a side, I'll lean Iowa plus the points, as OK probably is not too excited to be in this game.

Not sure where you are getting Iowa +16.5, it started at 16 and is now down to 13.5 everywhere I've seen. You do realize Iowa is without their leading rusher, Marcus Coker, for conduct reasons. The next RB in line has only ran the ball 18 times this year.

With all the injuries to OK on the offensive side of the ball, I think points will be hard to come by and took U 57.5. If I had to pick a side, I'll lean Iowa plus the points, as OK probably is not too excited to be in this game.

Game opened at 16.5. http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/odds/usatoday/odds.aspx#ncaaf

I post the line I took when betting the game. Some bowls (like this one) I got on early. BYU/Tulsa I played this morning. Just based on how confident I felt and what movement I thought the line might make.

I think Iowa's O-line will push OU around a bit. The Sooners, especially with the pre-season loss of LB Box, are very fast but not terribly physical. My biggest concern is in pass protection, which has been a sore spot at times for the Hawkeyes. I think they'll need to throw to stay in this one.

Looks like, in the end, you feel the same way even with Iowa getting fewer points.

Good luck to all!

Game opened at 16.5. http://sportsdirect.usatoday.com/odds/usatoday/odds.aspx#ncaaf

I post the line I took when betting the game. Some bowls (like this one) I got on early. BYU/Tulsa I played this morning. Just based on how confident I felt and what movement I thought the line might make.

I think Iowa's O-line will push OU around a bit. The Sooners, especially with the pre-season loss of LB Box, are very fast but not terribly physical. My biggest concern is in pass protection, which has been a sore spot at times for the Hawkeyes. I think they'll need to throw to stay in this one.

Looks like, in the end, you feel the same way even with Iowa getting fewer points.

Good luck to all!

Nice job jumping on that line early, that's a lot of points. Being one-dimensional may hurt them though if no other RB steps up.

Nice job jumping on that line early, that's a lot of points. Being one-dimensional may hurt them though if no other RB steps up.

Just seemed too many to pass up with a well coached team that's been in big games and whose seniors are trying to finish with a perfect bowl record, vs a team hit by injuries at key positions and who I just don't think is going to care very much.

Agreed that Iowa is going to need all the offense it can get.

Good to hear.

From what I can tell the Iowa St./Rutgers game will make a difference in my pool. Pretty close to a split on picks and I put down 15 on Iowa St. Put down over 20 on Miss. St. and Oklahoma but it looks like the majority in my pool did the same as well.

I only did Rutgers for 3 points

This Iowa State team doesn't even bear a faint resemblance to the team I watched beat Oklahoma State. College sports are amazing.

Why is Vanderbilt favored over Cincinnati? Not only are they favored, but seems like most are taking Vandy...

Cincy finished tied for first in the Big East, 9-3 over all; Vandy finished 4th in the SEC East, 6-6 over all. Not too mention Zach Collaros is back QB for Cincy.

Taking Cincy +1.5; NW +10; Utah +2.5 and UCLA +2.5.

EDIT: Adding Virginia +3 vs Auburn, I think they win outright. Looks like I'm taking the points tomorrow!

BTW - Anyone watching the Miss St/WF game, how the heck was that NOT pass interfernce against Miss St? :shocking:

Losing that Iowa St. game hurt, assuming Oklahoma wins I went 3/4 on my picks today...but Iowa St. hurt. Took Oklahoma -13 1/2 tonight as well Winner, I think Oklahoma just has a lot more talent on the field.

Will post later big games for tomorrow.

2011 Bowl Record ATS: 11-7 and feeling good; Iowa was first multi-unit play that lost

Texas A&M -10 Northwestern: The two worst bowl teams in the nation. Northwestern has lost 8 in a row, threatening Notre Dame's record of 9 straight. A&M just as bad, having lost 5 in a row, 9 of 10, 12 of 14, and with 4 of their last 5 losses by 14+. So somebody gets off the schneid, and somebody becomes the worst bowl team ever.

A&M is a mess. Head coach fired, interim coach has already taken the head job elsewhere. Team flat out collapsed this season under the weight of great expectations. Too many points. I like Northwestern +10. LOSER

UCLA +2.5 Illinois: The Kraft From Hunger Bowl. Yuck. Two teams without head coaches, and 4 Illinois assistants have threatened to boycott the game over their contract dispute. Of course, given the fact that Illinois has lost 6 straight, maybe fewer coaches wouldn't hurt. UCLA has a losing record and had to get a waiver from the NCAA to play in a bowl. They applied for the waiver the day before they lost game #7 to Oregon in the PAC Whatever title game. UCLA has athletes and can run the ball. That's about it. LOSER AS WAS EVERYONE AFFILIATED WITH THIS GAME

Utah +2.5 Georgia Tech: Utah really crapped out with a season ending loss to Colorado, but they're a really well coached team. Their young QB certainly benefitted from the extra couple weeks of practice. Georgia Tech is a tough offenseive scheme when you only have a week to prepare, but Utah has had a month. WINNER

Cincy +2.5 Vanderbilt: NOTE: I have not yet bet this game and may not; all based on late reports of availability of Collaro, Cincy QB. He's reportedly 50/50 today. If he plays I love Cincy. If not, they have no offense. Line could well move if it's announced that he'll play. Near as I can figure, Vandy is favored because he's not expected to play and SEC bias. ETA: I'll take the play at Cincy +2.5, but ended up not putting money on this. Not confident enough in Collaro's health ... he's been battling the flu to go with the rehabbed ankle... to take this at even up. WINNER

Good luck to all!

2011 Bowl Record ATS: 11-6 (pending result of Oklahoma/Iowa)

Early game tomorrow:

Texas A&M -10 Northwestern: The two worst bowl teams in the nation. Northwestern has lost 8 in a row, threatening Notre Dame's record of 9 straight. A&M just as bad, having lost 5 in a row, 9 of 10, 12 of 14, and with 4 of their last 5 losses by 14+. So somebody gets off the schneid.

A&M is a mess. Head coach fired, interim coach has already taken the head job elsewhere. Team flat out collapsed this season under the weight of great expectations. Too many points. I like Northwestern +10.

Good luck to all!

Adding the following as far as NW +10:

"All three Bowl losses under Fitzgerald, who took over in 2006, have been heartbreakers. The Wildcats lost in overtime in the first two, then fell 45-38 to Texas Tech in the TicketCity Bowl on New Year's Day".

I think NW finally wins their first bowl game since 1949! :pointstosky:

The Under 58 in the Iowa/OK game was the easiest bet I've seen in a long time! :first:

The Northwestern game is down to +8.5.

Cincy is down to a pickem, looks like Collaros might be good to go.

In my bowl game pool I start out the day 22nd out of 50, the Iowa St. game hurt me yesterday. The big games for me today: GT/Utah. I picked GT and put down 28 on it, although it seems about 35 people in the pool picked GT, not many put down over 25 points on it. Illinois/UCLA. I picked UCLA and put down 6 on it, although I only put down 6 on the game over 35 people picked Illinois. Auburn/UVA. I picked Auburn and put down 23 on it, its important for the same reason GT/Utah is, although around 35 people went with Auburn not many put over 20 points.

Also took Cincy on the ML today instead of the +1 Winner. Although Vandy will have a lot more fans at the game (in Memphis TN) I think if Collaros can stay healthy they will be fine.

Also took Cincy on the ML today instead of the +1.

Interesting books usually dont offer ML's when spread is around 1

ESPNChicago.com

As Illinois players prepare for their appearance in Saturday's Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, not all of their coaches are following suit.

Three Illini assistant coaches have threatened to boycott the bowl game against the UCLA Bruins due to a contract dispute, according to multiple media reports.

Interim coach Vic Koenning couldn't be sure Friday if Jeff Brohm, Joe Gilbert and Chip Long would participate in the bowl. It was previously reported DeAndre Smith's participation was in question as well

This cat Collaros is really UC's best option at QB?

:wacko:

He is actually a good duel-threat QB, but this is the first game he has played in month...he had a ankle injury earlier in the season.

It looks like there just going to ask Collaros to throw today and stay away from running. The difference so far has been Cincy running game vs Vandys. Pead has 13 carries for 83 for the Bearcats. Stacy has 12 carries for 32 yards for Vandy. Really Vandy is lucky to be down only 7, they had one punt that they called roughing the kicker on Cincy and another punt that was a bad snap where the punter picked it up and ran it 15 yards for the 1st.

He is actually a good duel-threat QB, but this is the first game he has played in month...he had a ankle injury earlier in the season.

It looks like there just going to ask Collaros to throw today and stay away from running. The difference so far has been Cincy running game vs Vandys. Pead has 13 carries for 83 for the Bearcats. Stacy has 12 carries for 32 yards for Vandy. Really Vandy is lucky to be down only 7, they had one punt that they called roughing the kicker on Cincy and another punt that was a bad snap where the punter picked it up and ran it 15 yards for the 1st.

UC's playcalling has been terrible. They finally get their two backs rolling then go right back to trying to pass with Collaros who's been completely ineffective. Case-in-point: Vandy fumbles away 2d half kickoff at own 15. UC runs wide on first and loses yardage, 2d down incomplete, 3d down Collaros drops the ball and loses 4 yards, 4th down - missed FG.

:wall:

Run the ball with your best player you mopes.

Finished the day 16th out of 50. If UCLA would have won I would have been in the top 10 going into Monday :doh:

Auburn winning still gives me hope, but small hope. Need Nebraska and Wisconsin to win on Monday...if that happens then maybe a shot at the top 3.

2 Like this bet, he should catch 2 or 3 on little screens

Keshawn Martin (Michigan St) Total Receptions - Must Play

Over 5 (-115)

LeVeon Bell (Michigan St) Total Rushing Yards - Must Play

Over 69.5 (-115)

I had a disasterous NFL day, need the Giants -3 and O-46 to help salvage something. Time to move on to the College Bowl games for tomorrow.

I had a disasterous NFL day, need the Giants -3 and O-46 to help salvage something. Time to move on to the College Bowl games for tomorrow.

I had Psu +5.5 you can fade that and make some $

I had Psu +5.5 you can fade that and make some $

Thanks for the info, just took Houston -7! :music_guitarred: I figured with McGloin out and Penn State going with there backup (who's not very good), I kind of like Keenum's 45 td passes this year. Penn State has a good D, but I think Houston rolls as Keenum makes up for a lousy last game...not to mention the distractions at Penn State.

MichiganSt +130

Dantonio has to win a bowl game eventually right?

Also guy I was somewhat following or at least looking at his picks a lot is like 18-5 or 18-3 in bowl games. He went "tout" after the regular season though. He was only charging $25 for all of his picks. Guess I should have paid.

Bowl Record ATS: 13-9

Back-to-back .5 losses by Iowa and Northwestern crushed what had been a hot streak. Ah well, he who lives by the sword...

Houston -7.5 Penn State: Kept hoping this line would drop below a TD, which would have probably changed my pick. Penn St gave up 18 pts in only 3 of 12 games this season, and I think their defense will intimidate Houston, especially in the passing game. But even with McGloin, PSU managed only 9 passing TD this season. Both teams have had an unsettled late and off season, so it may come down to who handles distractions better. PSU has had more practice at that. This could turn into a Houston rout, but I think more likely Penn State's motivation is stronger and talent is better. They control the tempo with their running game and keep it close. LOSER. WORST BET OF THE YEAR. SHOULD HAVE TRUSTED MY GUT OVER A HALF POINT.

Oregon -5 Wisconsin: This game could be a lot of fun, with offense galore. Oregon's defense has improved dramatically as the season has gone along. Despite the perception that they're all speed, they did a really good job limiting the running attacks of Stanford and USC, the two biggest O-lines they faced. They put so much pressure on the opponent offensively, I'm not sure Wilson and Wisky can keep up. WINNER

Georgia -3 Michigan State: The Spartan offense has been dicey against the better teams on their schedule. Georgia may have improved more than any other team in the nation over the course of the season, OR they're a product of a weak schedule (they didn't have to play their league's 3 best teams in the regular season). The LSU game got out of hand due to kick and INT returns, and LSU is far better than MSU. The teams defensive rankings are similar; I'm concerned about UGA's O-line, especially if they fall behind and have to throw. Take the Spartans and the points in a game they win outright. WINNER

Florida -2.5 Ohio State: Hmmm...both passing games stink. Florida is loaded with NFL talent on the defensive side of the ball, but some of their glowing defensive numbers are due to the fact that SEC offenses stink. Not sure what to think about this one. Ohio State did manage to score some points late in the season, and they have the motivation of knowing this will be the last bowl game for their upperclassmen (Buckeyes banned from bowl play next year). I'll take Florida's speed. WINNER

ETA: Just noticed my South Carolina -4.5 pick didn't post here. You'll have to take my word for it. WINNER

Back later with the rest of today's picks. Good luck to all!

Bowl Games (4-0)

Houston -6.5 Winner

Kirk Cousins over 2 1/2 TD's+INT's Winner

Could add more later.

Also really really need Nebraska and Wisconsin to win today for my pickem league.

If any of you all bet on anything beside football then come join me in the gambling thread over at the Geek Club. I post all my picks over there.

Late add: Darron Thomas under 226 1/2 passing yards.Loser

Kept hoping this line would drop below a TD, which would have probably changed my pick.

It did, I got Houston at -6.5 on Betonline with about 10 minutes before game-time.

It did, I got Houston at -6.5 on Betonline with about 10 minutes before game-time.

Too much going on today to stay on top of them. Good job.

Hou -3 2nd halfLoser

Hou PSU over 27.5 2nd halfLoser

Hope you guys are all fading this, lost my last 14 bets in NCAA never seen anything like it. Tihs is adding the Keyshawn Martin loser bet for prop