Sign in to follow this  
SuperSteelers

J. Rodgers this year's D. Sproles

Jacquizz Rodgers seems to be taking a similar path as Darren Sproles did a year ago. Their ADP is nearly equal (I got Sproles in the 10th last year and Rodgers in the 11th this year).

According to Mike Singer of CBSSports.com (via Cory Mandina of OregonLive.com), “It's clear that new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will utilize Rodgers in a completely different manner than he was used last season. ... The Falcons plan to use Rodgers rolling out of the backfield on screens as a contrast to pounding RB Michael Turner.”

Now, I know many of you will think that Rodgers won't be much of a factor as long as Turner is ahead of him. Well the same could be said about Sproles a year ago. The Saints just drafted a 1st round running back in Ingram and had a solid, reliable option on P. Thomas. All three has some sort of fantasy value.

Let's be honest here, Rodgers speed isn't nearly as impressive as Sproles. However, his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, make guys miss in the open field make him a great sleeper in many PPR leagues.

IMO the days of drafting a RB who will pound the rock 300 times for you are over. As football evolves into a more passing friendly league, fantasy players must be cognizant and willing to adapt to these changes.

That said, I'm predicting 532 yards, 4 tds and 50 catches for 468 yds and 3 tds.

Queasy sucks. It takes a guy with off the charts agility and quickness to be that small and still be affective. He is a dnd for me as he is nowhere near sproules.

Queasy sucks. It takes a guy with off the charts agility and quickness to be that small and still be affective. He is a dnd for me as he is nowhere near sproules.

Really? I guess the coaching staff in ATL thinks differently. Crazy, I know, but I think I'll trust their evaluation a bit more than yours.

Really? I guess the coaching staff in ATL thinks differently. Crazy, I know, but I think I'll trust their evaluation a bit more than yours.

I am not saying they wont utilize him but he will not have the same production as sproules unless they force feed him the ball constantly. They will come to their senses when he is plodding along and eventually hurt because he is too small and not elusive enough.

Let's slow down here.

I like Quizz but I don't think he puts up Sproles type #s this year.

NO tried to find a RB they were comfortable with last year & couldn't. The little dump offs to Sproles was because they didn't feel like they could get the yardage they needed thru PT or Ingram. Atlanta does with Turner. He won't break any long ones but they know he can be counted on when needed.

Quizz will produce some decent games but I just don't see it to be at the level of Sproles.

Still, he is interesting player that can be had very late in most drafts. PPR - worth a flier, Standard - pass.

I am not saying they wont utilize him but he will not have the same production as sproules unless they force feed him the ball constantly. They will come to their senses when he is plodding along and eventually hurt because he is too small and not elusive enough.

It's Sproles. And, I agree he won't match last year's Sproles numbers, but who could? They were off-the-charts good. But, he WILL emerge this year and have a nice PPR role in that offense for years to come.

The only reason I don't like the Sproles comparison is because Quizz is pretty darn slow. They could however play the same role, yeah.

Sproles ran a 4.48 and queasy ran a 4.51 i believe at the combine. So speed wise they arent too far off and sproles isnt quite as fast straight line as people think. It was wrong of me to assume people were comparing him to sproles but i think there are better options unless youre in a deep league. I dont see him producing anything near consistent to even start him. But if turner goes down i guess someone would have to be the rb.

I think my main point is that he just isnt good, at all. Situation trumps all else in fantasy sometimes so in the right situation he may be ok. In my book he is just so unimpressive that i think the nfl will find he isnt of much use to any team before long. I think there are so many rb that are more talented or at least bigger with similar agility and speed measurements not on rosters that it is kind of a waste to keep him on the roster.

I don't expect Rodgers to have the same type of season as Sproles accomplished last year. What he did last year few of us expected, but more of us hoped for. All I meant by the original post was their situations are rather similar and could be utilized in the same fashion especially as ATL turns more high octane. Ryan is in for a big year and has three huge targets down field. Who isn't to say Rodgers can't catch 50 balls out of the backfield over the course of a season?

I think my predicted numbers are more than fair. RIGHT NOW he isn't a starter, but could definitely be a nice bye week start.

Sproles ran a 4.48 and queasy ran a 4.51 i believe at the combine. So speed wise they arent too far off and sproles isnt quite as fast straight line as people think. It was wrong of me to assume people were comparing him to sproles but i think there are better options unless youre in a deep league. I dont see him producing anything near consistent to even start him. But if turner goes down i guess someone would have to be the rb.

I think my main point is that he just isnt good, at all. Situation trumps all else in fantasy sometimes so in the right situation he may be ok. In my book he is just so unimpressive that i think the nfl will find he isnt of much use to any team before long. I think there are so many rb that are more talented or at least bigger with similar agility and speed measurements not on rosters that it is kind of a waste to keep him on the roster.

Ya know, I find that odd. They must play at totally different game speeds because if you watch Sproles run he looks a hellavu lot faster than Quizz. I agree with you on him not being "that good". I've watched him run in the preseason and have thought he's been largely hyped without much merit. Situation may trump talent here though, yeah. There may be no better RB in the NFL to be backing up right now, the writing is on the wall for Turner.

Quizz ran a 4.64 at the combine last year - SLOW for the scat back role. I agree that ATL will want to use Jacquizz in the role that Sproles produced so well in last year, but A. Jacquizz is not nearly as talented of a runner, and B. New Orleans has been using this offensive sceam since Peyton got there with Bush in that role. This will be an entirely new scheme for ATL that they're going to have to work at in order for it to become as effective as New Orleans. If it was easy, every team in the league would have a Sproles like player.

Dude has some power for such a little guy

He's a late round flyer/post-draft FA pickup (depending on league size). His coaching staff has also stated they view him as an every down back. Why not invest?

He is available in the FA pool for me. Would you drop, say, a Kendall Hunter for him ? Or on the WR side a Kendall Wright, Nate Washington or Greg Little ?

I really dont know who will get more opportunity between the two this year. I know kendall hunter is a superior rb that is capable of putting up well over 1000 yards as a feature back. The sf backfield is so crowded that it would take a few injuries to really make hunter relevant. I would still keep hunter as his ceiling is higher.