Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

3 Best Buys at each position

QB

Andrew Luck -- for some reason the Heir Apparent to the Peyton/Brady era can't get even top 12 love in most drafts. The guy is a LOCK for 4K and 25 yet people are taking Wilson, a gimpy RGIII, and others before him.

Eli Manning - All he does is have solid years and just like every year grossly under rated.

Michael Vick -- Rumors of his FF stock death have been greatly exaggerated. With that offense if healthy (assuming he stays) he will be a STEAL!

RB

Stevan Ridley - Well the Pats can only run MORE now and he did pretty damn last year when given a chance. At a 4th round value he could be a hell of a steal.

Ahman Bradshaw - On a good offense and for 3 years has been pretty dman good when on the field. at a 6-7th round price tag - not bad

Ryan Mathews - Yeah he sucked last year but the kid has talent and is still the bell cow on a decent offense. Currently a 5th rounder

WR

Torrey Smith - The only true WR Flacco has to throw to and still very Young and a burner. If he has the "3rd year" breakout he might be a top 10 Monster at a 6-7th rund price tag.

Kenny Britt -- Everyone has seemed to have forgotten about this guy -- immense talent - little brain. But He had last year to get a little straight and now he should be able to start coming into his own. Can be had as low as a 7-8 rounder.

Desean Jackson -- Isn't that old and still has blazing speed in an offense now that should showcase it. Comes at a 7-8th round value.

TE

Dennis Pitta -- I really think he might end up a top 3 TE this year and he isn't being taken until the 7th TE off the board.

Jake Ballard - Undrafted right now who should at least be a star table TE

Without looking at ADP I think these guys represent pretty good value

QB-

Russel Wilson- Had a great 2nd half as he became a more efficient passer. Think he will get more oppurtunities to throw this year and has an elite talent at WR in Harvin

Tony Romo- seems a little undervalued to me

Eli Manning- Nicks was banged up all last season and now is in a contract year. Also love Randle as wr3

RB

Shane Vereen- think he will benefit greatly from Woodheads departure and Hernandez void

Danny Woodhead- Mathews is made of glass. I see woodhead being valuable as a flex even with Mathews healthy

Daryl Richardson- I'm betting he gets the lead back job

WR

Anquan Boldin- we saw what Crabtree did with Kaepernick and while I don't think AB is quite as good, he will still be the WR to have this year in SF

Larry Fitzgerald- He will be a good value for where he is being drafted. Arians moved Reggie Wayne all over the formation in Indy. He will do the same for Fitz

Cecil Shorts- will be the focal point of Jags passing attack. Target monster for at least the first 4 games

TE

Jordan Cameron- jumped on the hype train a while ago. Think he will be a TE1 you can get in the 10th rd

Jared Cook- The Rams spent a lot of money on him, Schottenheimer uses the TE, elite skill set for position.

Greg Olsen- Lafell lasucks so after SSmith Cam will be looking for Olsen

I'm an Eagles fan and I'm fairly convinced Vick won't start more than 10 or so games this year and DJax will be lucky to catch 65 passes.

Ryan Mathews - Yeah he sucked last year but the kid has talent and is still the bell cow on a decent offense. Currently a 5th rounder

:wacko:

I'm an Eagles fan and I'm fairly convinced Vick won't start more than 10 or so games this year and DJax will be lucky to catch 65 passes.

The only way vick starts A game is if foles gets hurt. :ninja:

The only way vick starts A game is if foles gets hurt. :ninja:

Agreed. If it's truely an open competition based on how well they play in the preaseason, then I think Foles or even Barkley end up winning the job.

QB

Eli Manning - All he does is have solid years and just like every year grossly under rated.

i agree with some of these, but this one baffles me. IIRC, other than one huge season, eli has been a mediocre FF QB. last season, at least 2 teams in most leagues had backups perform better than eli. rating a middle-of-the-pack QB as middle of the pack (which means bottom of the barrel in FF terms) is not "underrating" him--it's an accurate assessment. in 12-teamers, eli should be one of the last starting QBs drafted--probably wiser to draft him as a backup with good upside. luck should go well before him.

i agree on torrey smith, if you can indeed get him in the 7th. but as the only real threat in BAL, i suspect that he'll be going in the 5th by the time most peoples' drafts roll around. britt is a forgotten man, and if he stays healthy, i think he's going to be one of those guys who is on a lot of championship teams.

good thread.

Tony Romo- seems a little undervalued to me

romo is hard to figure this season. an improved defense is going to have an effect, as is an improved line and real running game. what this means is that romo won't have to carry the entire load again, so we're not looking at another 4900 yard season. but you have to figure that his TD numbers should increase (due to run threat in the RZ), and INT numbers will decrease (due to not having to come from behind every single game).

as usual, i plan to avoid DAL players because i'm a homer, and don't gamble where my heart is involved. so i won't draft a cowboy unless he falls by at least a full round against ADP. but i agree that romo is a guy that is getting lost in the luck/kaep/wilson/RG hype, so he may represent very good value for someone.

i agree with some of these, but this one baffles me. IIRC, other than one huge season, eli has been a mediocre FF QB. last season, at least 2 teams in most leagues had backups perform better than eli. rating a middle-of-the-pack QB as middle of the pack (which means bottom of the barrel in FF terms) is not "underrating" him--it's an accurate assessment. in 12-teamers, eli should be one of the last starting QBs drafted--probably wiser to draft him as a backup with good upside. luck should go well before him.

Last year, he had a down year, finishing as the #14 QB. 2010 and 2011 he was 7 and 6, respectively.

If you expect him to bounce back, he's undervalued. If you expect a year similar to last year, he's about where he should be.

QB:

Tom Brady - I think everyone's going to be down on Brady due to the Hernandez/Welker/Lloyd departures. But Brady has performed in the past with lesser talent than he has now at the skill positions. Right now his ADP is slipping down to about 55-60. In the 5th round, he's a great value for me

Carson Palmer: The Cardinals are going to have to throw the ball a lot. Palmer threw for over 4,000 yards with Denarious Moore as his leading receiver. He's got Larry Fitzgerald this season. QB2 with major QB1 upside

Whoever Wins Eagles Job: There's a lot of talent offensively and if Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, and Todd Herremans all are healthy...you just added Lane Johnson to the mix on that offensive line. That's some major talent blocking the way in order to prevent a repeat of last season. Early drafters are going to have a great chance to snag one of these guys late. In Dynasty formats, obviously Foles or Barkley are the guys to go after.

RB:

Mikel Leshoure: It's not that I don't trust Reggie Bush on turf................

Alfred Morris: You can say Shanahanigans all you want, but when a guy runs for 1,613 yards averaging 4.8 a pop and has 13 TDs in his rookie campaign...you are not replacing him with Roy Helu or Evan Royster. Right now he's about the 10th back coming off the board.

Frank Gore: I think he's got enough in the tank for one more good season. At his current ADP, he's a great value in re-drafts

WR:

Stevie Johnson: This is a big if due to his back injury, but I haven't heard any complications or problems thus far. He's gone over 1,000 yards and 6 TDs in each of the past 3 seasons. Even with those QB's he's had.

Antonio Brown: The running back situation is possibly a little bit clearer with Bell...which should only help out the short-intermediate passing game. I like Brown to keep making strides in his development and become a top 20 receiver this season.

Anquan Boldin: He's getting up there in age, but he runs the tough routes and can take punishment. I love his value this year.

Last year, he had a down year, finishing as the #14 QB. 2010 and 2011 he was 7 and 6, respectively.

If you expect him to bounce back, he's undervalued. If you expect a year similar to last year, he's about where he should be.

ok, i stand corrected--thought he only had 1 top-10 season.

:bench:

WR:

Stevie Johnson: This is a big if due to his back injury, but I haven't heard any complications or problems thus far. He's gone over 1,000 yards and 6 TDs in each of the past 3 seasons. Even with those QB's he's had.

Very little upside with Johnson, like you said you know what you are going to get right around 1000 yards and 6 td's. He is not going to bust out of those numbers, so he is not undervalued.

QB:

Newton...granted, a lot of this is because I have not yet been watching ADPs. But seems so many are caught up with Kaep and RGIII that Newton may slide some here and there.

Brady...with allthe upheaval, I look for him to be a big discount over previous years...at least hope to.

Wilson...love the end of the year stuff...and like with Newton, people seem to focus more on RGIII and Kaep. Of course, the knee with RGIII could kill the value of these guys if people are too wary of his injury)

RB:

CJ...good value, still don't love the pick, but his potential plus how far he seems to slide seems like great value there.

Gore...age may some day take its toll...but he still produces and gives you a nice back if you sneak a WR in early.

Morris...people are afraid of shennanigans for no reason at this point.

WR:

Jordy Nelson...Cobb will go too high for me...and someone will overpay for Jones' production from last year. Look for Jordy to give you good value.

Fitz...still extremely talented...but falling due to the circumstances around him. Think he produces well this year.

Andre J...no longer going to go as high as he used to IMO..

Andre J...no longer going to go as high as he used to IMO..

I tend to agree here. Historically, a top 15 talent, I think he's being over-scrutinized for a bad TD year.

Chris Givens

Brian Hartline

Phillip Rivers if Matthews can stay healthy

QB

Andrew Luck -- for some reason the Heir Apparent to the Peyton/Brady era can't get even top 12 love in most drafts. The guy is a LOCK for 4K and 25 yet people are taking Wilson, a gimpy RGIII, and others before him.

Michael Vick -- Rumors of his FF stock death have been greatly exaggerated. With that offense if healthy (assuming he stays) he will be a STEAL!

RB

Stevan Ridley - Well the Pats can only run MORE now and he did pretty damn last year when given a chance. At a 4th round value he could be a hell of a steal.

Ahman Bradshaw - On a good offense and for 3 years has been pretty dman good when on the field. at a 6-7th round price tag - not bad

WR

Torrey Smith - The only true WR Flacco has to throw to and still very Young and a burner. If he has the "3rd year" breakout he might be a top 10 Monster at a 6-7th rund price tag.

Kenny Britt -- Everyone has seemed to have forgotten about this guy -- immense talent - little brain. But He had last year to get a little straight and now he should be able to start coming into his own. Can be had as low as a 7-8 rounder.

Desean Jackson -- Isn't that old and still has blazing speed in an offense now that should showcase it. Comes at a 7-8th round value.

TE

Dennis Pitta -- I really think he might end up a top 3 TE this year and he isn't being taken until the 7th TE off the board.

Jake Ballard - Undrafted right now who should at least be a star table TE

i thought it was the three best buys..how come there are only two te ?

Very little upside with Johnson, like you said you know what you are going to get right around 1000 yards and 6 td's. He is not going to bust out of those numbers, so he is not undervalued.

But the fact is that he is not getting drafted relative to those numbers, either.

In a dynasty startup earlier this offseason, I got him in the 8th round as WR33. His finishes the past 3 years? 2010: WR12, 2011: WR21, 2012: WR20.

Drafting pretty much a guaranteed WR2 in his prime as the 33rd WR off the board screams value to me. Plus, 6 TDs is his low season since he became a starter in 2010. He had 10 that year and 7 in 2011. I don't see how 6 is his upside? In PPR leagues, he will be great once again.

Personally I'm looking at Stevie as potentially being this year's "WR revitalized by hot rookie QB" in the mold of Wayne last year and Steve Smith in 2011. Obviously he has never put up numbers like those guys, so I am not expecting a top 10 finish, but WR12 again is certianly within reach. All depends on how EJ looks in camp I guess. If Kolb is starting, I really have no desire to draft Stevie.

In the same tier, I also really like Maclin this year, and I think he's in an even better position than Stevie to reclaim low-end WR1/high end WR2 status.

I do not agree at all with Maclin. Jackson has already been given the "Gadget player" role in the offense, and at Oregon Kelly never really had any great WR seasons during his 4 seasons there.

I see WR20-25 as the best possible upside for Maclin, and that is pretty much Stevie's floor at this point.

Basically just cut and paste this exact opinion on him every year. Including next year...

Personally I'm looking at Stevie as potentially being this year's "WR revitalized by hot rookie QB" in the mold of Wayne last year and Steve Smith in 2011. Obviously he has never put up numbers like those guys, so I am not expecting a top 10 finish, but WR12 again is certianly within reach. All depends on how EJ looks in camp I guess. If Kolb is starting, I really have no desire to draft Stevie.

In the same tier, I also really like Maclin this year, and I think he's in an even better position than Stevie to reclaim low-end WR1/high end WR2 status.

"Reclaim WR1 status"? When did Maclin EVER have that status? In his best year he didn't even top 1,000 yards.

He could be a nice buy at his ADP, don't get me wrong, but every year people act like he's gonna bust out with a monster season.

The TE position basically looks like this:

Graham

-------------------

Gronkowski (injury concern!)

Witten

-------------------

Gonzalez

Vernon Davis (maybe?)

-------------------

Everyone else

Of the everyone else, I like Brandon Myers, Martellus Bennett, Jordan Cameron, and Brandon Pettigrew based on their ADPs and potential. But man, that group does not inspire confidence looking at it.

I think it's clear that you either pay way too much for one of the top guys or wait til rounds 10 and later, grab one or two of the also-rans, and hope for the best.

Is Kyle Rudolph worth an eighth rounder though? That's the only one I hesitate on. Based on the offense I say "no", but if I had to pick a guy for a surprise #2 finish he is the one.

Basically just cut and paste this exact opinion on him every year. Including next year...

He was good in 2011 he just got injured in TC in 2013 and never found his groove.

He was good in 2011 he just got injured in TC in 2013 and never found his groove.

Im with you on this one moz. He still could still have bell cow status this year on a solid offense, one that has produced big numbers throwing to their rbs. He is too risky to go all in for all your leagues, but definitely has the upside to warrant a pick in the fourth/fifth. Thesixth is great value for mathews. Having a pick at one or two would be the perfect spot tonwait on mathews and see how far he falls.

The TE position basically looks like this:

Graham

-------------------

Gronkowski (injury concern!)

Witten

-------------------

Gonzalez

Vernon Davis (maybe?)

-------------------

Everyone else

Of the everyone else, I like Brandon Myers, Martellus Bennett, Jordan Cameron, and Brandon Pettigrew based on their ADPs and potential. But man, that group does not inspire confidence looking at it.

I think it's clear that you either pay way too much for one of the top guys or wait til rounds 10 and later, grab one or two of the also-rans, and hope for the best.

Is Kyle Rudolph worth an eighth rounder though? That's the only one I hesitate on. Based on the offense I say "no", but if I had to pick a guy for a surprise #2 finish he is the one.

absolutely love myers this year... You have a crowded WR corps, but Eli has shown a fondness for going to a TE that he can trust. Myers is a black hole who catches EVERYTHING... it should take little time for he and Manning to develop a rapport. I am usually the guy who waits a long time before drafting a TE, and i think he and pettigrew are potentially two prime targets for value later in the draft.

according to FF today ADP's, players listed are guys that i feel like are significant bargains and should out-perform their draft position

QB: Tony Romo (11th qb drafted), Josh Freeman (20th qb drafted), Sam Bradford (21st qb drafted)

RB: Ryan Matthews (27th rb drafted), Andre Brown (33rd rb drafted), Isaiah Pead (41st rb drafted)

WR: Mike Williams (39th wr drafted), Jeremy Maclin (40th wr drafted), Michael Floyd (46th wr drafted)

TE: Greg Olsen (11th te drafted), Owen Daniels (13th te drafted), Martellus Bennett (14th te drafted)

3 more best buys or I should say "deep sleepers".
Number 1 sleeper guy is Danny Woodhead. I could see him as a huge sleeper. He is second in line behind the chronically injured Mathews. And even if mathews doesn't go down Woodhead will still be a decent play because he will be used a lot like Welker was as a wr. SD is hurting for WRs so I have a feeling they plug him in the slot when he is not in the bacfield. Point is don't be surprised if he doesn't leave the field as often as most might think. Plus a lot of people don't realize just how fast Woodhead is. He's fast. Really fast. He runs a 4.33 40 yard dash and small as he is he no push over when it comes to breaking tackles.

Anquan Bolden - Not so much a deep sleeper but a great value pick. It's like last year when most thought Peyton Manning should be drafted after his brother. I knew peyton would light it as i knew Demarious Thomas would light up. Well same principle here. Boldin, AJ Jenkins, Patton. One of these guys will be the new D. Thomas. It has more to do with Kaeps than any of these wrs. Just like D Thomas's production shot way up with a top flight QB. So will Boldin's.
Another guy i love who I consider a really deep sleeper is Legarette Blount. I think he is better than any of the NE rbs right know and will emerge by week 3 as the primary starter. Again that is one of my deep sleepers. I'll be posting my deep sleepers list soon probably on Mywifehatessundays or here.