Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

Why would anyone become a teacher now?

Just now, Gladiators said:

I think you 100% nailed it with this post.  Hawkeye thinks every parent is going to be requesting special curriculum for their child.  That's not going to happen.  Will there be a couple?  Sure.  The district can figure out how to handle those situations relatively easily.

I don't think every parent is going to be doing it.  I think it's going to be enough to make it a nightmare for teachers.  I fear teachers are going to quit and fewer people are going to become teachers.  I think it would have long lasting negative effects on our education system.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I think you 100% nailed it with this post.  Hawkeye thinks every parent is going to be requesting special curriculum for their child.  That's not going to happen.  Will there be a couple?  Sure.  The district can figure out how to handle those situations relatively easily.

Agreed.  The ones who are most likely to abuse this, ironically, are liberals.

And now that remote learning has been introduced, it is becoming the go to for other problems. In the neighboring school district there is a shortage of bus drivers. The solution? You guessed it, remote learning. Remote learning can’t be the answer every time. There are other solutions. But the teachers union is trying to get everyone used to remote learning, because they like it. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

As noted early in this thread the answer is school choice.  In most, jurisdictions, if not all, school funding is tied to enrollment.  IOW, a school gets x amount of money per student.  Well, the answer is to tie the money to the student and not the school.  Then the student and his/her parents can decide which school actually gets that money.  For Hawekeye, who says some people don't have a lot of choice with regards to schools, that's ok.  The money can still be used to send kids to the same school they would attend absent school choice so nothing changes for them.  But most kids would have that choice and could go to the school their family deems best for that child.  This seems like such a simple, elegant solution.  I can't really see why anyone would oppose it other than having an agenda that doesn't include doing what's best for the children.  To those people I would implore you - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

What is the number you want to assign per student? Is it a set number or is it moving based off of multiple factors?

Schools get their money based off of how much it costs them to educate one student (as you said)

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.  The ones who are most likely to abuse this, ironically, are liberals.

Again- if people pretend like it is just liberals or just conservatives doing this they are just fooling themselves

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

Problem is this movement is funded and organized by very politically motivated groups..They will continually push to enable parents to get involved. 

Also, how does a school handle it when one kid in the class has one set of rules and another kid has another when it comes to content?

As someone else previously noted in this thread, perhaps they get back to teaching the basics...

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

What is the number you want to assign per student? Is it a set number or is it moving based off of multiple factors?

Schools get their money based off of how much it costs them to educate one student (as you said)

What do you mean?  The number is already defined.  Just move that number from the school to the student.  It's very simple, but I"m sure you'll find a way to make it complicated.  As I said previously, please THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

As someone else previously noted in this thread, perhaps they get back to teaching the basics...

What schools do you think are not teaching the basics? Do you have a set list of books you want to teach in say American Literature?

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

What schools do you think are not teaching the basics? Do you have a set list of books you want to teach in say American Literature?

Oh, so there's no issue here.  It's a big nothingburger brought up by the bored libs.

Just now, Strike said:

What do you mean?  The number is already defined.  Just move that number from the school to the student.  It's very simple, but I"m sure you'll find a way to make it complicated.  As I said previously, please THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

Because that number is not consistent from one school to the next. One school it might cost 10,000 per student, another one might cost 15,000. Are you making up that difference somewhere. Again- it isn't a 1:1 comparison you are trying to make. 

Oh, so there's no issue here.  It's a big nothingburger brought up by the bored libs.

These were simple, non Gotcha questions. I'm saying what are the basics you think are not being taught? Give a list of American Literature novels you think should be taught. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Again- if people pretend like it is just liberals or just conservatives doing this they are just fooling themselves

You quoted my post, why don't you read it and get back to me.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You quoted my post, why don't you read it and get back to me.

And again- both sides will abuse this. Pretending like it will just be a one sided issue is dumb

Because that number is not consistent from one school to the next. One school it might cost 10,000 per student, another one might cost 15,000. Are you making up that difference somewhere. Again- it isn't a 1:1 comparison you are trying to make. 

This is not how it's done.  it's a standardized number either at the school district or state level.  They don't look at each school and pay based upon that school.   Let's assume it's set at the school district level.  And let's assume for our test district that they're paying $9,575 per student which is the average in CO.  So, you give that amount as a voucher to each student and let the family take that voucher to whatever school they want.  If the school costs more because it's private the family has to pay the difference.  It's really not complicated, as much as you'd like to make it so.

These were simple, non Gotcha questions. I'm saying what are the basics you think are not being taught? Give a list of American Literature novels you think should be taught. 

Did you read the original post?  This isn't complicated.  Parents aren't going to ask for custom curriculum for their child.  99%+ just want to know that the basics are being taught and not CRT and other woke BS.

10 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Did you read the original post?  This isn't complicated.  Parents aren't going to ask for custom curriculum for their child.  99%+ just want to know that the basics are being taught and not CRT and other woke BS.

We are both speculating on the amount of parents who will be doing this.  I base my opinion on knowing how often teachers deal with parents like this already.  If the bill passes, it will only get worse.  I'm curious what you are basing your opinion on.

23 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Problem is this movement is funded and organized by very politically motivated groups..They will continually push to enable parents to get involved. 

Also, how does a school handle it when one kid in the class has one set of rules and another kid has another when it comes to content?

The problem is the movement is funded  by politically motivated groups.lol.  In reaction to the politically motivated groups on the other end. Like the teachers union. The lack of awareness is staggering. 

18 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

And again- both sides will abuse this. Pretending like it will just be a one sided issue is dumb

Looks like you still didn't read it.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

What if you lived in a liberal town and 90% of the parents wanted CRT taught to kids. :mad:

Depending on how successful they were, you either look for a private school that doesn't teach it, you homeschool, or you move.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

We are both speculating on the amount of parents who will be doing this.  I base my opinion on knowing how often teachers deal with parents like this already.  If the bill passes, it will only get worse.  I'm curious what you are basing your opinion on.

You might be right.  I don't live in a liberal infested city.  I'm basing my opinion on talking to a lot of parents in my area, along with knowing/talking to some teachers.  Also, my neighbor helps set curriculum in our district.  I hang out with him for about 3 hours almost every Friday night.

How does one teach history without being able to talk about racism and discrimination?  It was what it was and it should be discussed.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

How does one teach history without being able to talk about racism and discrimination?  It was what it was and it should be discussed.

And it has been part of the curriculum for 50 years.

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

Depending on how successful they were, you either look for a private school that doesn't teach it, you homeschool, or you move.

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

And it has been part of the curriculum for 50 years.

It doesn't seem this new bill wants it being discussed anymore.  Does that seem right?

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who said they don’t want it talked about? I learned all about it. You didn’t ? The difference was no one was holding people today accountable for it. You are clueless. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It doesn't seem this new bill wants it being discussed anymore.  Does that seem right?

No.

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Who said they don’t want it talked about? I learned all about it. You didn’t ? The difference was no one was holding people today accountable for it. You are clueless. 

You're clueless, dude.

If this country never stops going on and on and on about racism, especially when very few white people are racist, then racism will always be the norm in the eyes of the country. The constant jabber about it has turned much of the black community into racists themselves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If this country never stops going on and on and on about racism, especially when very few white people are racist, then racism will always be the norm in the eyes of the country. The constant jabber about it has turned much of the black community into racists themselves. 

Are you suggesting that it be ignored that it ever existed?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Are you defending the practice of teaching it in every subject?  Then grading it according to skin color? 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What a dope. 

29 minutes ago, Strike said:

This is not how it's done.  it's a standardized number either at the school district or state level.  They don't look at each school and pay based upon that school.   Let's assume it's set at the school district level.  And let's assume for our test district that they're paying $9,575 per student which is the average in CO.  So, you give that amount as a voucher to each student and let the family take that voucher to whatever school they want.  If the school costs more because it's private the family has to pay the difference.  It's really not complicated, as much as you'd like to make it so.

Maybe in Colorado it is slightly different but the school funding is not a set number here when it comes to funding money outwardly. Case in point for charter schools. If a student chooses to leave Public School A and their expenditure per pupil is (10,000) that money is given by the home district to the charter school essentially outsourcing their education. If a student chooses to leave Public School B and their expenditure per pupil is (13,000) that money is given by the home district to the charter school essentially outsourcing their education.

The obvious issues are- why does the charter school not have a number attached to it? In many cases those schools are one building of a significantly less portion of kids. A specialized high school might have one building with 4 grades and 400 kids. Their number per pupil is most assuredly not 10,000 and certainly not 13,000.  Furthermore, if they take in special education students they can the 10,000 (or 13,000) number plus a bonus on top. So in some cases the home district is being hamstrung by the lack of funding transparency. Additionally, because so many charter schools take on lower educated students, and those in need of more resources, they take more money in Title I funding and everything.

27 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

What basics do you think are not being taught? You glibly responded with "schools should just go back to teaching the basics." What do you think is not being taught? And I'm asking the American Literature question because books get questioned all the time for content. How are you policing that and how is that any different than how it is already policed?

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Are you defending the practice of teaching it in every subject?  Then grading it according to skin color? 

Math is racist 

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Nope.  Not even close to suggesting it.  Not even sure how you came to that.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No.  Why are you even suggesting this?  No one is suggesting we not teach our past.   Just stop.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Who is teaching race in every subject? How is it affecting grading and the like?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

No. I really don't care if people know about or not. But it should just be a chapter in a history book if anything. If a kid is interested in it then there is plenty of information out there to look into it further. Of course, there is a hell of a lot of misinformation out there as well. Especially from the loons running the streets these days. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What a dope. 

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about in this thread so maybe just let everyone else discuss it.