Blue Horseshoe

The Comments Section With Brett Cooper: "Tipping Is Out Of Control"

21 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

First off characterizing black people as being bad tippers is a bad look.  There are bad tippers among all races.

And your friend is wrong.  Industries like restaurants that rely on tipping and have it built into the pricing are fine.  It's all these new places that want tips that do not have tipping built into the pricing that are the issue.

Of course there are, but in general the black culture does not believe in tipping as much as others. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Of course there are, but in general the black culture does not believe in tipping as much as others. 

The majority of black people are shltty tippers.

I spent a lot of early years waiting tables and bartending and even the black waiters didn't want to wait on black customers. 

So beachnutcreepysickguy can fock off. 

6 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

It's amazing how you think your small, isolated world somehow represents the world as a whole.

I waited tables and blacks tipped no different than whites. Actually the worst tippers were the clearly out of their element whites.  But you don't see me characterizing all whites as bad tippers do you?  That's because I'm not a narcissistic dbag who thinks I know everything. 

Did you really tell me that my small, isolated world view doesn’t represent the world as a whole? And then  back it up with your own literal small, isolated experience of waiting tables supporting that black people tip the same as others?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

It's amazing how you think your small, isolated world somehow represents the world as a whole.

I waited tables and blacks tipped no different than whites. Actually the worst tippers were the clearly out of their element whites.  But you don't see me characterizing all whites as bad tippers do you?  That's because I'm not a narcissistic dbag who thinks I know everything. 

Stop lying.

1 minute ago, Fireballer said:

Did you really tell me that my small, isolated world view doesn’t represent the world as a whole? And then  back it up with your own literal small, isolated experience of waiting tables supporting that black people tip the same as others?

He did do that.  And he's trolling.  It's common knowledge that black people by and far for the most part DO NOT believe in tipping.  Just like they overwhelmingly vote Democrat, they don't tip.  That's not even debatable.  Black people will even tell you that.

Just like his absurd claim that conservatives fill the low paying jobs at his company.  This guy is making it up as he goes along just to troll.  100%.  That's not even debatable either.

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

LOL

I literally said that my small world view DOES NOT lead me to assume the rest of the world is like mine because I'm not a narcissistic dbag.

13 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Asians are the worst.  I have bartended most of my life. 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Stop lying.

Lying?  What would lead you to believe I'm lying?  Do you know me IRL?  Have you undergone some kind of intensive study on tipping by race?

1 minute ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Lying?  What would lead you to believe I'm lying?  Do you know me IRL?  Have you undergone some kind of intensive study on tipping by race?

Yes, and you're a lying liar.

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

Asians are the worst.  I have bartended most of my life. 

Asians are moderate, blacks are way worse. 

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Yes, and you're a lying liar.

He is.  I saw his posts on the FBG Discord server where he admitted he was coming here to this forum to only troll and agitate.

4 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

LOL

I literally said that my small world view DOES NOT lead me to assume the rest of the world is like mine because I'm not a narcissistic dbag.

22 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Iwaited tables and blacks tipped no different than whites.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Sorry to have to embarrass you like this friend.  Seriously your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

I didn’t watch the whole video. I’ll assume the customer was right. 

1 minute ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Sorry to have to embarrass you like this friend.  Seriously your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

So you’re subconsciously stupid.  You don’t even realize what you typed earlier.  You might wanna lay off the “Trumps base is stupid because they’re uneducated” shtick in all the other threads.  Just sayin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

So you’re subconsciously stupid.  You don’t even realize what you typed earlier.  You might wanna lay off the “Trumps base is stupid because they’re uneducated” shtick in all the other threads.  Just sayin

Apparently he's the one working those low-level jobs at his company!  :lol:

You can't be for real can you?  Me saying "my life experience is X" and then saying "but I don't let my life experience color how I see the whole world" is too complicated for you to understand?

That's some seriously sad stuff my friend. 

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Apparently he's working those low-level jobs at his company!  :lol:

Another Einstein Trump supporter.

Color me shocked!

41 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

That's because I'm not a narcissistic dbag who thinks I know everything. 

Well, let's not get too crazy here.

28 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

The majority of black people are shltty tippers.

I spent a lot of early years waiting tables and bartending and even the black waiters didn't want to wait on black customers. 

So beachnutcreepysickguy can fock off. 

I worked at a TGIF in college.   No servers wanted to work the Sunday after church crowd.  

6 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Me saying "my life experience is X" and then saying "but I don't let my life experience color how I see the whole world" 

You can’t let your experience color how you see the world, because you know deep down that your experience isn’t how the rest of the world is.  

You can’t let your experience color how you see the world, because you know deep down that your experience isn’t how the rest of the world is.  

So you admit you're obtuse and didn't comprehend what I posted the first couple of times until I spelled it out for you like I would a child.

Good first step friend.

:headbanger:

11 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

I worked at a TGIF in college.   No servers wanted to work the Sunday after church crowd.  

Holy crap. Good observation. Can you even imagine being a waiter at Cracker Barrel on a Sunday morning? 😨

21 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

So you admit you're obtuse and didn't comprehend what I posted the first couple of times until I spelled it out for you like I would a child.

Good first step friend.

So we can all agree now that you know that black people are notoriously bad tippers, but you tried to counter that with some ignorant self righteous lie about blacks tipping the same as whites.  Thanks for clearing that up. Happy trolling, even though u suck at it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BeachGuy23 said:

Good first step friend.

Daulton, on a serious note can Ravens cover today vs Lions?   Thinking that Detroit has been too hot as of late.  I am liking Ravens today if I can get them at -2 1/2

Thoughts?

I don’t mind it. I’m usually giving an extra $2 - $6 max. It’s not that much because I don’t eat out or grab food to go often. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Daulton, on a serious note can Ravens cover today vs Lions?   Thinking that Detroit has been too hot as of late.  I am liking Ravens today if I can get them at -2 1/2

Thoughts?

I’ve been watching this line for days.  It’s showed all the signals of popping to 2 1/2, but it won’t budge.  DK has it at -102 now, so buying it to 21/2 would be -120ish which isn’t the worst thing in the world.  Come on over to the Wagering Thread

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

Black people have it right regarding tipping or not tipping. Maybe we all should follow.

My co-worker is an engineer, single and makes a good living.  When we go out he refuses to tip more than a few bucks no matter what the tab is.  We went out one night and it was his turn to buy, our tab was 96.00, he left 100.  I said that is not enough, told me if they want more $$$$ they need to get a different job.  I threw down another 20 as we were leaving because I go there once in a while. 

Maybe he is right. 

1 hour ago, BeachGuy23 said:

First off characterizing black people as being bad tippers is a bad look.  There are bad tippers among all races.

And your friend is wrong.  Industries like restaurants that rely on tipping and have it built into the pricing are fine.  It's all these new places that want tips that do not have tipping built into the pricing that are the issue.

This.  If you are going to a restaurant with table service, and you’re not planning on at least a 15% tip, you’re a cheap fock.  This has been the norm forever.   That doesn’t mean you should be expecting to tip people for making you a sandwich at Jersey Mike’s though.

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Black people have it right regarding tipping or not tipping. Maybe we all should follow.

My co-worker is an engineer, single and makes a good living.  When we go out he refuses to tip more than a few bucks no matter what the tab is.  We went out one night and it was his turn to buy, our tab was 96.00, he left 100.  I said that is not enough, told me if they want more $$$$ they need to get a different job.  I threw down another 20 as we were leaving because I go there once in a while. 

Maybe he is right. 

There was a place and time when American society had a culture where "eating out" was really only for special occasions or business for the average person. I'm sure everyone knows at least one person who buys Starbucks every day. Or maybe more than once a day. Add it up. Over a month. A year. Ten years. That really adds up. Same with eating out. 

Now different people are in different financial positions. Some people can get Starbucks and eat out everyday and it doesn't hurt their overall bottom line for their wants/needs financially. But the average American is generally not in that situation. 

For those who don't vibe with the current tipping culture or changes to it, then maybe that's a "soft exit" for those folks to just stop eating out or eat out extremely infrequently. Tipping is, for the most part, discretionary. You don't know what people will give and how often, so it's not reliable. People have the right to not vibe with it or where it's headed. Those folks are probably better off finding a different situation ( doing more take out or eating places where tipping is not culturally expected) or just not eating out at all. 

However I don't agree with seeing videos and accounts of people at their jobs arguing or refusing the service because of a "tip" or what they perceive is not the "right tip"  

This is one of those social/cultural issues where both sides are better off avoiding each other once it's clear some are going to always disagree on it. 

‘You didn’t pay me. You paid the delivery app’: Delivery driver takes items back after not receiving tip on $400 order

In a video posted...., a delivery driver and a couple engage in a tense exchange over a tip—or lack thereof—for a sizable $400 grocery order. The driver, clearly frustrated, argues for the importance of tipping, especially given the effort she put into the delivery. The customers, on the other hand, stand firm on the principle that tipping is optional....."You should see how much work this was and why I should be getting a tip because of how much work this was,” the worker says.

“No, you don’t deserve a tip,” one of the customers says. “You’re crushing the ramen noodles for one.”....The delivery driver says that it doesn’t matter what state the ramen noodles are in because she’s returning all of the items. “They’re not for you anymore,” she says as she attempts to load her car back up with the items. “I had to pack all of this in my car and bring it to you guys and unpack it. You didn’t pay me. You paid the delivery app.”.....The customer argues that she paid for the food and accuses the driver of stealing the food. The delivery driver says, “You guys can get your refund, and another delivery driver can deal with you guys.”

The argument goes on for several minutes and ends with the driver continuing to load the groceries in her car and the other customer promising that he is “going to report this.” The customers also speculate that the driver is “probably going to keep this for herself.”.....This debate is nothing new, and there have been many individuals on both sides of the issue who’ve shared their own views on social media. One DoorDash customer explained why they never give drivers gratuities. Another delivery driver chronicled how frustrating it was to not receive a tip despite going above and beyond for their customers.

The American service industry is a gamble. Workers often accept lower hourly wages with the hope of making more through tips. Sometimes, this pays off handsomely, with generous customers leaving substantial tips for minimal work. Other times, as the video shows, workers can put in a significant effort and walk away with nothing. Perhaps this roll of the dice is why the service industry is reportedly in the top industries with too many job openings in the United States, meaning, perhaps workers are becoming fed up with this and want more stability. In addition, it was reported this year by Insider that Instacart dropped the hourly wage from $7 to $4, which means drivers and more dependent than ever on tipping....

https://www.dailydot.com/news/delivery-driver-takes-groceries-back-no-tip/

The above is very likely staged in some fashion. However that it is entirely plausible in today's "tipping" culture should be food for thought. 

2 hours ago, peenie said:

I don’t mind it. I’m usually giving an extra $2 - $6 max. It’s not that much because I don’t eat out or grab food to go often. 

But you've got all those treasure chests in storage from being Egyptian royalty, shouldn't a large tip be a pittance for someone of your legacy and historical stature?

Just got a haircut.   20 bucks.....the machine gives auto tip suggestions....the cheapest was 7 dollars ...hahahaha

Im a quick clip and cut.  15 mins tops.

I used to NOT tip only on the worst of service.  I've completely changed now with "tipping" culture out of control.  Now I'm only tipping for the very best of service. 

This is getting ridiculous.  Employers need to pay their employees better.  I refuse to accept any blame or feel guilty for this situation.  This is entirely on the employers that don't pay a decent wage.  It's the employers that are putting this burden on us, and that is BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

This.  If you are going to a restaurant with table service, and you’re not planning on at least a 15% tip, you’re a cheap fock.  This has been the norm forever.   That doesn’t mean you should be expecting to tip people for making you a sandwich at Jersey Mike’s though.

Race Differences in Restaurant Tipping: A Literature Review and Discussion of Practical Implications

African Americans are widely perceived within the restaurant industry as poor tippers. A recent survey of more than a thousand servers from across the United States found that more than 65 percent rated African Americans as “below average tippers” (McCall and Lynn 2009, see also Brewster 2012). These perceptions have important consequences for black consumers and restaurant servers as well as managers and executives in the restaurant industry. 

....a Cornell University associate professor says: Research indicates that African Americans, on average, leave smaller tips for servers than whites do and that they’re more likely to leave nothing.....Expecting skimpy gratuities, waiters resist serving African Americans, or they provide poorer service, which discourages blacks from patronizing table-service restaurants. Low tips also make it hard for restaurants in black neighborhoods to attract and retain staff, causing turnover and decreasing profits.....“It’s a problem the industry knows about,” says Lynn, who is white. “But the big players with money are afraid to address the issue. They’re afraid of being labeled racist.”

But even when black and white customers are in the same socioeconomic class or rate the quality of service equally, he says, several studies by himself and others found that they tip differently. Black diners average 10.9% to 14.7% of the bill, and white diners average 16.6% to 19.4%, depending on the study. The server’s race didn’t matter.....Black subjects are also more likely than whites to say they never tip servers (6% versus 2%, in one study) and to leave tips as flat-dollar amounts instead of percentages of the bill (50.7% versus 19.4%, in one study)....

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/items/fb91573a-c579-4062-967c-1f291a8714d3/full

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/c4ded1f5-049c-4a1d-9c9c-3cba71030e6c/content

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-mar-26-tr-insider26-story.html

1 hour ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

Race Differences in Restaurant Tipping: A Literature Review and Discussion of Practical Implications

African Americans are widely perceived within the restaurant industry as poor tippers. A recent survey of more than a thousand servers from across the United States found that more than 65 percent rated African Americans as “below average tippers” (McCall and Lynn 2009, see also Brewster 2012). These perceptions have important consequences for black consumers and restaurant servers as well as managers and executives in the restaurant industry. 

....a Cornell University associate professor says: Research indicates that African Americans, on average, leave smaller tips for servers than whites do and that they’re more likely to leave nothing.....Expecting skimpy gratuities, waiters resist serving African Americans, or they provide poorer service, which discourages blacks from patronizing table-service restaurants. Low tips also make it hard for restaurants in black neighborhoods to attract and retain staff, causing turnover and decreasing profits.....“It’s a problem the industry knows about,” says Lynn, who is white. “But the big players with money are afraid to address the issue. They’re afraid of being labeled racist.”

But even when black and white customers are in the same socioeconomic class or rate the quality of service equally, he says, several studies by himself and others found that they tip differently. Black diners average 10.9% to 14.7% of the bill, and white diners average 16.6% to 19.4%, depending on the study. The server’s race didn’t matter.....Black subjects are also more likely than whites to say they never tip servers (6% versus 2%, in one study) and to leave tips as flat-dollar amounts instead of percentages of the bill (50.7% versus 19.4%, in one study)....

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/c4ded1f5-049c-4a1d-9c9c-3cba71030e6c/content

I wasn’t commenting about your racist claim about black people, simply stating that anyone that goes to a sit down restaurant and doesn’t plan to tip at least 15% is a cheap fock

8 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I wasn’t commenting about your racist claim about black people, simply stating that anyone that goes to a sit down restaurant and doesn’t plan to tip at least 15% is a cheap fock

It's now racist to state facts?  WTF, Tim?

I normally tip generously.  However, it is always situational and never based on arbitrary percentages.  What I don’t do is tip for counter service or carry out.  I’m willing to tip for my grocery delivery (which is how I get 95% of my groceries) because of the time and hassle it saves me.  I’m happy to pay someone $10 to pick, pack and deliver my groceries.  The Shipt app frequently suggests tip amounts much higher, but I feel like $10 is adequate.  The woman who cuts my hair gets $15 every time, but she’s excellent and therw is a long-term rapport that exists with her.  We request the same waitress at our favorite restaurant every time.  She gets a great tip because we’ve worked with her for about 8 years now and she takes excellent care of us.

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Black diners average 10.9% to 14.7% of the bill, and white diners average 16.6% to 19.4%, depending on the study. The server’s race didn’t matter.....Black subjects are also more likely than whites to say they never tip servers (6% versus 2%, in one study) and to leave tips as flat-dollar amounts instead of percentages of the bill (50.7% versus 19.4%, in one study)....

5 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

It's now racist to state facts?  WTF, Tim?

It’s not racist to say that blacks on average tip less.  It’s racist to say/imply that all backs don’t tip.

HTH