Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

MLB 2024

Glad I turned on the Padres/ Dodgers in the 9th inning

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

the White Sox are historically bad.  It's sad for their fans.

I'm not sure what the Braves were thinking with Soler, since he hasn't really played the field all year but the Braves have Ozuna locked in at DH.  Maybe coming in as a platoon player?  He's owed quite a bit of money over the next two years for a platoon player.

Also, Bobby's July has been pretty remarkable:

Wow. What’s crazy is he had the worst month on that list

512 for an entire month jeezus 

last game of the year against the white sux :(

6 of 9 series in the month of August against winning teams for the Royals.  Will be a tough stretch with some really important matchups against the Red Sox and Twins among others.  We'll see how it shakes out.

Is there a site that projects out minor league starters? @posty do you know?

There's a kid the royals drafted from my hometown that was at the high school my kids go to just a few years back and has progressed nicely through the royals system.   He made his triple a debut today against the Rochester Red Wings and had a very strong outing.   If Omaha is using a 5- man rotation I think his next start might be next Tuesday and I may make the trip up to Omaha if so...

19 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Is there a site that projects out minor league starters? @posty do you know?

There's a kid the royals drafted from my hometown that was at the high school my kids go to just a few years back and has progressed nicely through the royals system.   He made his triple a debut today against the Rochester Red Wings and had a very strong outing.   If Omaha is using a 5- man rotation I think his next start might be next Tuesday and I may make the trip up to Omaha if so...

I’d say monitor Twitter and https://www.milb.com/omaha

searching the team and player on Twitter will give you a good guess 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:57 AM, posty said:

Royals still won’t get to 75 wins…

13-38 in their remaining games I believe to get there :banana:

Going back to page three of this thread makes me smile :banana:

I don't have apple TV and I'm not paying for it and already did the free trial earlier this year, so I listened to this at home on an ap on my phone from local radio broadcast.   That's how focking into this season I am :banana:

White Sux going for 22 straight today :banana:

The longest single-season losing streak in MLB history was 26 games, by the 1889 Louisville Colonels. Baseball looked a bit different back then, to say the least. In the Modern Era (since 1900), that distinction belongs to the 1961 Phillies, who lost 23 straight. And in the postseason, the record is 18 straight losses by the Twins, who snapped their playoff losing skid in 2023.

Currently on pace for a record of 38-124 :bench:

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, cmh6476 said:

I don't have apple TV and I'm not paying for it and already did the free trial earlier this year, so I listened to this at home on an ap on my phone from local radio broadcast.   That's how focking into this season I am :banana:

There are only about thirty hundred sites out there where you can stream games free.  Are you averse to that? :ninja:

I'll hook an n-word up.  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Mookz said:

There are only about thirty hundred sites out there where you can stream games free.  Are you averse to that? :ninja:

Neanderthal?

:dunno:

30 minutes ago, posty said:

Neanderthal?

:dunno:

Wow. Great reply. You add so much to this site... :huh:

2 hours ago, Mookz said:

I'm within the team market.   My local subscription options (including satellite) should include all my games I want to watch.   It's on principle. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Wow. Great reply. You add so much to this site... :huh:

4 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm within the team market.   My local subscription options (including satellite) should include all my games I want to watch.   It's on principle. 

I hear ya.  You're probably set for the rest of the season now anyway. :thumbsup:

This should fix their problems :mellow:

White Sox fire Pedro Grifol: Second-year manager ousted amid historically bad season

The league-worst White Sox are 28-89 and just snapped a 21-game losing streak

By Mike Axisa
36 mins ago

With their season trending toward historically awful, the Chicago White Sox have fired manager Pedro Grifol, the team announced Thursday.

"As we all recognize, our team's performance this season has been disappointing on many levels," GM Chris Getz said in a statement. "Despite the on-field struggles and lack of success, we appreciate the effort and professionalism Pedro and the staff brought to the ballpark every day. These two seasons have been very challenging. Unfortunately, the results were not there, and a change is necessary as we look to our future and the development of a new energy around the team."

Grifol, 54, was in his second season as White Sox manager. It was his first managerial job at the big-league level. The White Sox disappointed in 2023, going 61-101 rather than bounce back from an 81-81 record in 2022. New GM Chris Getz began to tear the roster down and rebuild this past offseason. As a result, Chicago is a ghastly 28-89, easily the worst record in MLB.

With less than two months to play, the White Sox are on pace to lose more than 120 games, which would be the most in a single season in baseball history. Starter Erick Fedde, closer Michael Kopech, and outfielder Tommy Pham were among those traded away at the July 30 trade deadline. The team on the field now has less talent than the team that went 27-71 in the first half.

Already twice this year the White Sox have set a new record for the longest losing streak in franchise history. They dropped 14 straight games from May 22 to June 6, and just snapped a 21-game losing streak. It was tied for the longest losing streak in baseball since the Phillies lost 23 consecutive games in 1961.

"I think I am. I really do," Grifol said recently when asked whether he believes he's a good manager (via MLB.com). "And I think managing is motivating people to play and work hard every single day. I think managing is preparing and making good decisions and serving people and including people. It's not up for me to decide. I don't make decisions on whether I'm a good manager or not. That's for other people to decide."

Grifol finishes his White Sox career with an 89-190 (.319) record in two seasons. Prior to managing Chicago, he spent a decade with the AL Central rival Kansas City Royals, working his way from minor-league coach to big-league catching coach, assistant hitting coach, and, eventually, bench coach.

The White Sox said a search for a new manager will begin immediately but a replacement will not be announced until after the season. The team did not announce who will serve as interim manager until then.

On 4/11/2024 at 1:57 AM, posty said:

Royals still won’t get to 75 wins…

Looking like this prediction is going up in flames….

Oh well…. You win some, you lose some…

lets go red flops :overhead:

8 and 13 since ASB 

16 minutes ago, edjr said:

lets go red flops :overhead:

8 and 13 since ASB 

The Braves are 8-14 since the break…. Not doing any better…

On 7/31/2024 at 11:27 AM, MikeMatt said:

Mets really turning it on. 

I spoke too soon. Terrible road trip. 

On 8/11/2024 at 12:23 AM, posty said:

Looking like this prediction is going up in flames….

Oh well…. You win some, you lose some…

I wouldn't have guessed this success.   Baseball is so much better when your favorite team is winning and competitive. 

Royals look like they've hit a wall.   Posty go back to saying aint getting to 75 wins TIA

Perfect day! Royals win, Boston, Cleveland and Minnesota all lose! :banana:

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

You mean like this:

Thanks.   From my phone I'm being redirected to x.com links and the forum doesn't seem to like it as well. 

41 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Thanks.   From my phone I'm being redirected to x.com links and the forum doesn't seem to like it as well. 

That there is your problem…. Don’t use a phone, use a desktop…

8 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Before you paste it here, you have to change "x" to "Twitter", which is a PITA on the phone, but that's will embed it.

WAR is dumb, stop being nerds

If a team loses 100 games they should be dropped down to AAA

Aaron Judge. What more can you say at this point? He’s just incredible. 

From the Athletic

A car pulled up in front of the Lard home on Thursday evening in Kansas City, Kan., and a big man stepped out. He wore white sneakers, a brown long-sleeve shirt and a familiar smile on his face. As he stood near the curb, he asked the group of boys in the yard if he could join their Wiffle Ball game.

At first, Cameron Lard, age 9, and his friends were a little confused.

“For a minute, they were all just kind of like: ‘What?’” recalled Lesley Lard, Cameron’s mother. “Why does this guy want to play?”

But one moment later, Cameron, wearing a blue Royals jersey, realized who it was.

“It’s Salvy!” Cameron screamed.

“All the boys went nuts,” Lesley Lard said.

Salvy, in this case, was Salvador Pérez, the All-Star catcher of the Kansas City Royals. He had the day off on Thursday, one day after the surprising Royals improved to 71-56 on the season, and he happened to be paying a visit to a friend in the neighborhood, a middle class pocket of the Kansas City area. According to Leslie Lard, Perez had visited the subdivision during an off day last summer, which created a minor buzz among neighbors. But this time, he saw the game happening outside the Lard home and, like Willie Mays in Harlem in the 1950s, he wanted in.

“My backyard is where the boys play every day,” Lesley said, “and he drove by and pulled over and got out of the car and said: ‘Hey guys, can I join?’”

Perez began by taking his place on defense. Soon enough, Cameron was running inside to alert his parents. When it was Perez’s turn to bat, Lesley’s husband Terry pulled out his phone and started filming. The boys started moving back — way back — all the way across the street. Perez started to laugh.

“Everybody was trying to play it cool, I guess,” Lesley said. “We wanted them to play.”

The outdoor baseball game at the Lard house is actually a neighborhood staple. On Thursday, it featured kids from third grade all the way up to high school, and at this point, the areas around home plate and the mound are just patches of dirt. Lesley, a local librarian, estimated that she’s spent “hundreds of dollars” on Wiffle Balls, which always seem to end up in the gutter or storm drain. Once, she said, a neighbor remarked that they didn’t realize kids did stuff like this anymore.

“But that’s what they do,” he said.

The family’s love of baseball stemmed from Lesley’s father, Tim Rauter, who was a devoted Royals fan. When the team made the World Series in 2014 for the first time in 29 years, Lesley was pregnant with Cameron, her only child.

“I told him: ‘Technically, he’s been to a World Series game,’” Lesley said.

Cameron came of age during another fallow period for baseball in Kansas City, when the franchise slipped back to the bottom of the standings. But the one constant was Perez, the 34-year-old from Venezuela who was the World Series MVP in 2015 and charmed the city with his youthful exuberance. Lesley’s father passed away three years ago, but the Royals have offered a pleasant surprise in 2024: Behind Perez and ascending superstar Bobby Witt Jr., the club is in position to make the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

“I was just hoping they’d do this when he was still young,” Lesley said, “to experience what it’s like to have a really good baseball team.”

With the way the Royals have played recently, taking over an AL Wild Card spot since the All-Star break, Lesley Lard says she’s been dreaming of taking her son to a postseason game at Kauffman Stadium. On Thursday, the superstar catcher came to them. Perez stuck around for more than 20 minutes, enough time to take some hacks, pose for photos, and for some of the kids to call their parents. One of the boys, Lesley said, bragged to his mom about “an epic fist bump.” And then, with a game against the Phillies on tap for Friday, Perez got back in his car and drove away.

“The fact that he did that might not be a big deal to him,” Lesley said. “But those boys are going to have that the rest of their lives.”

• Haha 1

Salvy hit a home run earlier in the game tonight. 

Royals  6 - 2   over the Phillies in the 5th right now,

10 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Salvy hit a home run earlier in the game tonight. 

Royals  6 - 2   over the Phillies in the 5th right now,

And all the teams which needed to lose did as well :banana:

You guys ever wonder what it was like to see Babe Ruth? Just watch a Yankees game.