Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

***OFFICIAL SuperBowl Chiefs v 49ers Thread***

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I was wondering wtf as well. It’s dumb they have different rules from the regular season. Baseball does it also though now too

Did Romo or Nantz explain the new rules? I don't recall

The fix is simple. Instead of overtime, pick one of the lineman to do a field goal kicking contest against gronk. 

30 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

If you believe it is a guarantee that mahomes would score a td, then it is a no brainer call to take the ball first. 

Even if you don't think Mahomes will score it's the right call. There's zero downfall to kicking it. 

39 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

If you believe it is a guarantee that mahomes would score a td, then it is a no brainer call to take the ball first. 

Why does it matter?  If it's a guaranteed TD, who cares who scores first?  The only possible advantage is there is probably a less of a chance of a 2 pt conversion is Mahomes scores first.  So then you let him score first and you get to decide if you want to win or tie.

12 minutes ago, The Psychic Observer said:

Why does it matter?  If it's a guaranteed TD, who cares who scores first?  The only possible advantage is there is probably a less of a chance of a 2 pt conversion is Mahomes scores first.  So then you let him score first and you get to decide if you want to win or tie.

⬆️.  THIS EXACTLY 

48 minutes ago, edjr said:

Did Romo or Nantz explain the new rules? I don't recall

The fix is simple. Instead of overtime, pick one of the lineman to do a field goal kicking contest against gronk. 

Nope and all the guys I was with were like wtf. The ref announced the rules and I was like why is he lying 

Just now, The Psychic Observer said:

Romo and Nantz did explain the rules to the audience.

And they put it up on the screen. 

What if Shanny elected to kick the ball off and KC ran the clock down to 3 seconds and kicked a FG with no time left?

Would they add time on the clock?

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

What if Shanny elected to kick the ball off and KC ran the clock down to 3 seconds and kicked a FG with no time left?

Yes.  The clock doesn't matter

12 minutes ago, edjr said:

they would have started a new 15 minute overtime quarter.

57 minutes ago, The Psychic Observer said:

I agree with @JohnnyUtah.  His point was that if both teams score the same on their first possessions, the advantage goes to the team with the ball, which would be the Niners.  And if you were "sure" the Chiefs would get 7, you might as well go first, because you know you need to get 7 either way, and then you get the above advantage.

Put another way, had they held the Chiefs to 3, the advantage would shift to the Niners.

I'm not saying, nor do I think he is saying, that this necessarily outweighs the benefit of going 2nd.  He is merely disagreeing with the position of "there is absolutely no reason to go first."  :cheers: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

His point was that if both teams score the same on their first possessions, the advantage goes to the team with the ball, which would be the Niners.  And if you were "sure" the Chiefs would get 7, you might as well go first, because you know you need to get 7 either way, and then you get the above advantage.

You're assuming at that point. Take the ball 2nd and control your own fate. 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I agree with @JohnnyUtah.  His point was that if both teams score the same on their first possessions, the advantage goes to the team with the ball, which would be the Niners.  And if you were "sure" the Chiefs would get 7, you might as well go first, because you know you need to get 7 either way, and then you get the above advantage.

Put another way, had they held the Chiefs to 3, the advantage would shift to the Niners.

I'm not saying, nor do I think he is saying, that this necessarily outweighs the benefit of going 2nd.  He is merely disagreeing with the position of "there is absolutely no reason to go first."  :cheers: 

This wasn't a game though where both teams were just going down the field and scoring at will.  Both defenses played great games, and no reason to think either defense couldn't stop or hold the opposing offense.  So then you get the advantage of knowing what you need.

To me it's not the decision they made, but rather they didn't seem to have justification for the decision which was made.  The Chiefs on the other hand seemed to be more prepared, knowing what they were going to do with any circumstance or situation that would arise.  At least, that's how it felt.

7 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

You're assuming at that point. Take the ball 2nd and control your own fate. 

7 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

This wasn't a game though where both teams were just going down the field and scoring at will.  Both defenses played great games, and no reason to think either defense couldn't stop or hold the opposing offense.  So then you get the advantage of knowing what you need.

To me it's not the decision they made, but rather they didn't seem to have justification for the decision which was made.  The Chiefs on the other hand seemed to be more prepared, knowing what they were going to do with any circumstance or situation that would arise.  At least, that's how it felt.

Again, I am not (nor do I think johnnyutah is) necessarily advocating the decision.  Personally, I think the decision to go 2nd is the right call.  But there is an argument for going first.

That being said, to cmh's point, it does not appear that Shanahan went through this analysis.  It seems he was unaware of the different rule, and just went with the "regular" overtime decision.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

.  It seems he was unaware of the different rule, and just went with the "regular" overtime decision.

Agree. And if what Shanahan said was true, why did he kick the field goal? If true he should of been in a 4 down offense. There's no doubt that he didn't know the rules. 

17 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Agree. And if what Shanahan said was true, why did he kick the field goal? If true he should of been in a 4 down offense. There's no doubt that he didn't know the rules. 

If you are a coach and don't know the rules that is pathetic and even pro players should know the rules being it's their profession. I knew the rules beforehand and I'm just a fan.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I agree that it is totally possible san fran didn't know the rule. 

1 hour ago, jonnyutah said:

I agree that it is totally possible san fran didn't know the rule. 

That is Embarrassing if a head coach doesn't know OT playoff rules when fans like me do. What a Joke Shanny is if true...

I really hope all you guys who have been following a team for thirty years eventually get to experience this.   Un-focking-believable

That's the type of sh1t make the booty go crazy :banana: to we are the champions :pointstosky: sh1t

2 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I really hope all you guys who have been following a team for thirty years eventually get to experience this.   Un-focking-believable

Enjoy

That's the type of sh1t make the booty go crazy :banana: to we are the champions :pointstosky: sh1t

Enjoy, you're the only one who gives a shizz. We couldn't care less about anything Kansas City. 

2 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Enjoy, you're the only one who gives a shizz. We couldn't care less about anything Kansas City. 

Yeah, me and nzoner (RIP), @Mike FF Today and maybe @Gepetto :dunno:

Cmh marked ok :(

My family moved to Central Missouri in 1970, about a month after Hank Stram and the boys won superbowl 4. All my new friends told me how awesome the Chiefs were and I was going love being a fan.

50 got dam years later…

The Bill Kenny years, Len Elliot, so much disappointment…

Us Chiefs fans have paid our dues.

The current Chiefs are truly great and it is very nice to be a fan!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dozer FBG said:

My family moved to Central Missouri in 1970, about a month after Hank Stram and the boys won superbowl 4. All my new friends told me how awesome the Chiefs were and I was going love being a fan.

50 got dam years later…

I love you too guy I didn't know existed

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dozer FBG said:

50 got dam years later…

Oh boy. What an exciting life you must have led. 😆

wilks fired.

defense did a fine job in the SB..may have gotten tired at a few points.

not great vs gb and det

Someone awnt me something that said Chiefs have zero holding calls in 3 straight SBs.  They led the league this past regular season.  

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Someone awnt me something that said Chiefs have zero holding calls in 3 straight SBs.  They led the league this past regular season.  

don't get me started on this

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

As a boy I got to experience the Packers get 5 in seven years.  Very exciting for a kid.

22 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

wilks fired.

defense did a fine job in the SB..may have gotten tired at a few points.

not great vs gb and det

When was the last time an OC or DC was fired after making the Super Bowl?

12 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

When was the last time an OC or DC was fired after making the Super Bowl?

shanahan?

• Haha 1