The Real timschochet

June 27 Presidential debate

The rules have been released: 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/06/15/politics/trump-biden-cnn-debate-rules

90 minutes with 2 commercial breaks. Neither guy is allowed to consult anyone during the breaks. 

No audience. 

No sound on mics when the other guy is talking. So there will be no interrupting allowed. 

This seems as fair as it can be. Right now there are a ton of accusations about old age and mental disfunction: both men have been accused of not being mentally with it, etc. This debate should give us the answers to those accusations once and for all. 

The debates have never held much interest for me as debates as the participants are never held to account for not addressing the questions asked.  Typically the participants start off with some variation of "what I hear you asking is..."  They then rephrase the question beyond recognition and give a canned response, a nonresponse if you will.

I may watch as a drinking game.  Drink everytime Trump insults Biden with a juvenile name unfit for even a grade schooler in a name calling battle.  I might also drink everytime Biden calls Trump "Jack", threatens to fight him, or goes into whisper mode and assures us his hyoperbole is a true story.  the problem is I don't think I would get to the first commercial break.  I just don't drink like I use to.  I'm out of training. 

sounds like a big win for Dems.  The mental instability of both men is quite different and I feel like Trump would demolish Biden if he were allowed to talk over / interrupt. Big advantage given to Brandon if he is allowed to ramble uninterrupted. 

15 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

90 minutes with 2 commercial breaks. Neither guy is allowed to consult anyone during the breaks. 

No audience. 

No sound on mics when the other guy is talking. So there will be no interrupting allowed. 

This seems as fair as it can be. Right now there are a ton of accusations about old age and mental disfunction: both men have been accused of not being mentally with it, etc. This debate should give us the answers to those accusations once and for all. 

It should, but no matter how good Biden comes across, his critics won't believe it is legitimate or admit that he is not suffering from dementia or whatever. Remember after he aced The State Of The Union address, MAGA folks here were saying that he had months to memorize and prepare for it or that he was taking some kinds of drugs that held him together for the 90 minutes of the address. 

• Like 2

I want a debate moderated by a high school debate coach who cuts off clearly nonresponsive answers or rephrased questions and gives that time to the opponent if the opponent can addrress the question asked.  I would watch that 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, squistion said:

It should, but no matter how good Biden comes across, his critics won't believe it is legitimate or admit that he is not suffering from dementia or whatever. Remember after he aced The State Of The Union address, MAGA folks here were saying that he had months to memorize and prepare for it or that he was taking some kinds of drugs that held him together for the 90 minutes of the address. 

He did have months to prepare.  it was the latest SOTU address in my memory as for when it was delivered in the calendar year.  It was also a rehash of previous canned pieces from other speeches, cobbled together.  As for me I would not say he aced it.  I would say he exceeded my expectations.  Regardless, neither of these men should be at the controls of our government.  Neither is fit to drive their own car or to be left alone with kitchen appliances.  I would trust neither to keep a gold fish alive for a week without the intervention of personal assistants.

• Thanks 1

I’ll watch but purely for the funnies. There is absolutely nothing you can learn from a 90-minute debate that you couldn’t learn from 10 minutes of online research. And given the candidates’ habit of chronic lying who even cares what they say.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

No audience

Of course not. It would be too confusing for senile, great-grandpappy potus and Trump loves a crowd. 

Fake tough guy Biden has to have everything his way or he won’t play.  Trump walking into the lions den. Jake Tapper can’t.  

1 hour ago, squistion said:

1. He did not ace the state of the union address, he looked like an angry hyped up drug user.

2. He was on Adderall.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Fake tough guy Biden has to have everything his way or he won’t play.  Trump walking into the lions den. Jake Tapper can’t.  

It’s interesting that everything a reasonable person would describe as fair is described by Trump fans as Biden “having his own way.” That should tell you something. 

Turns out I won’t be on a plane, I got my date wrong. I fly out the night before. But assuming I can even get a live broadcast it would air at 3 am for me, so I won’t be watching (unless of course I’m suffering from jet lag. I suppose that’s possible.) 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

The ultimate cuck runs in again to defend his orange, moron master.

Have some dignity for a change you stupid, bish cuck.

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s interesting that everything a reasonable person would describe as fair is described by Trump fans as Biden “having his own way.” That should tell you something. 

Sitting down? Didn’t do it last time. Why? 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Poor Trump. Won’t someone please help this poor man. How many times must he be the victim before everyone knows how strong he is?

Trump is a puzzie loser. Always has been, always will be.

• Like 3

Trump will get his ass kicked in the debate, and will lose the election like the losing loser he is.

MAGA needs to go right into complaining about how the election that hasn’t happened yet was/is RIGGED!

Cry on weak sister MAGA cucks… like the losers you are.

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Give me a break, if you want a "fair" debate read below.

On 6/15/2024 at 9:07 AM, Engorgeous George said:

I want a debate moderated by a high school debate coach who cuts off clearly nonresponsive answers or rephrased questions and gives that time to the opponent if the opponent can addrress the question asked.  I would watch that 

Maybe I'm wrong but the no audience thing is going to make it pretty sterile I think.  Maybe some of us more in tune with it watch the entire thing but that's just a strange change.

20 hours ago, Dozer FBG said:

Poor Trump. Won’t someone please help this poor man. How many times must he be the victim before everyone knows how strong he is?

Trump is a puzzie loser. Always has been, always will be.

Except when he beat Hillary. And it was her turn! Focking meanie. :cry:

36 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

Maybe I'm wrong but the no audience thing is going to make it pretty sterile I think.  Maybe some of us more in tune with it watch the entire thing but that's just a strange change.

Trump feeds off of an audience the way New Zealand cannibals feed off of Uncle Boseys.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

A large crowd and lighted auditorium is a problem for dementia patients. It confuses them. 

22 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

it may be fair but the "rules" definitely favor Biden. Any reasonable person would admit that. Trump plays the bully, antagonizes, etc. Biden gets lost more often than not. It seems to have been specifically set up to be as mild mannered as possible which favors Biden, as Trump would easily rattle him and disconnect the fragile wire inside his head.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

Maybe I'm wrong but the no audience thing is going to make it pretty sterile I think.  Maybe some of us more in tune with it watch the entire thing but that's just a strange change.

We’re deciding the President of the United States. This ain’t American Idol. If by “sterile” you mean it should be serious then that’s a good thing. Trump tries to turn all politics into a clown show. Hopefully he will be exposed and defeated in this setting. 

• Like 2

They didn’t want Trump to put the granddaughter Biden refuses to acknowledge in the crowd like he did with Clintons rape victim. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

it may be fair but the "rules" definitely favor Biden. Any reasonable person would admit that. Trump plays the bully, antagonizes, etc. Biden gets lost more often than not. It seems to have been specifically set up to be as mild mannered as possible which favors Biden, as Trump would easily rattle him and disconnect the fragile wire inside his head.

First off I strongly disagree with the statement “Biden gets lost more often than not.” But deciding a President shouldn’t be about who gets rattled when somebody is screaming at him anyhow. In any event, Biden doesn’t get rattled easily. He won the first debate in 2020 by telling Trump to shut up. But that shouldn’t be a way to win a debate either. 

If this favors Biden it’s only because Trump isn’t a serious person. He’s a clown, incompetent and totally unsuitable to be POTUS. I suspect that deep down you guys know this and that’s why you think this setting is going to be “unfair”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

We’re deciding the President of the United States. This ain’t American Idol. If by “sterile” you mean it should be serious then that’s a good thing. Trump tries to turn all politics into a clown show. Hopefully he will be exposed and defeated in this setting. 

I'm not surprised you think that.  But this is a significant departure from what the past has been, by the statement above you are implying it benefits Biden to have this fairly significant change, yet you deem this as fair.  It's pretty obvious the Trump folks weren't the ones who demanded this change.  We've really lowered the bar here to not even have candidates who can answer questions in front of a crowd.  Maybe Tapper can give Biden the questions in advance so he can have his note cards made by someone on staff on how to answer.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They didn’t want Trump to put the granddaughter Biden refuses to acknowledge in the crowd like he did with Clintons rape victim. 

And this is what I’m talking about. Only a moron like you would consider this sort of stunt important in terms of choosing a President. This isn’t a game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Davis said:

I'm not surprised you think that.  But this is a significant departure from what the past has been, by the statement above you are implying it benefits Biden to have this fairly significant change, yet you deem this as fair.  It's pretty obvious the Trump folks weren't the ones who demanded this change.  We've really lowered the bar here to not even have candidates who can answer questions in front of a crowd.  Maybe Tapper can give Biden the questions in advance so he can have his note cards made by someone on staff on how to answer.

It’s not a significant departure. The most famous, most important televised Presidential debate in our history (Nixon vs Kennedy) was held exactly this way. It’s the live audience that is the departure. It’s the interrupting and screaming that is the departure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s not a significant departure. The most famous, most important televised Presidential debate in our history (Nixon vs Kennedy) was held exactly this way. It’s the live audience that is the departure. It’s the interrupting and screaming that is the departure. 

You mean the very first one that was in black and white?  We've had a few since then.  I'm old and I wasn't even alive when the one happened you're referencing.

4 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

We've really lowered the bar here to not even have candidates who can answer questions in front of a crowd. 

And this statement is the exact opposite of the truth. It’s far easier to answer questions in front of a crowd. You can shout, interrupt, refuse to answer, give canned one liners- in other words be a clown which is just about the only skill Trump has. Answering serious questions from informed journalists, without the ability to interrupt and play to the crowd, that’s far more difficult. This raises the bar, significantly so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

And this statement is the exact opposite of the truth. It’s far easier to answer questions in front of a crowd. You can shout, interrupt, refuse to answer, give canned one liners- in other words be a clown which is just about the only skill Trump has. Answering serious questions from informed journalists, without the ability to interrupt and play to the crowd, that’s far more difficult. This raises the bar, significantly so. 

Try public speaking sometime.  Look, you believe what you believe.  I'm not trying to convince you.  You told me the other day that you saw no difference in Biden's speech clips from four years ago compared with today.  I believe you believe that, but it's not what I see.  Trump has his flaws, I'm not making excuses for him.  I didn't vote for him in the primary.  But you shouldn't allow your bias to delude your senses.  You probably think the same of me, and that's fine.  I'm not upset by that, I just believe you're quite wrong.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Davis said:

Try public speaking sometime.  Look, you believe what you believe.  I'm not trying to convince you.  You told me the other day that you saw no difference in Biden's speech clips from four years ago compared with today.  I believe you believe that, but it's not what I see.  Trump has his flaws, I'm not making excuses for him.  I didn't vote for him in the primary.  But you shouldn't allow your bias to delude your senses.  You probably think the same of me, and that's fine.  I'm not upset by that, I just believe you're quite wrong.

Both Trump and Biden are pretty lousy at public speaking IMO. Trump is better than Biden, especially when speaking off the cuff, but that’s a measure of degrees. Neither man comes close to the skills of a Reagan or Obama. 

But that leads to the question: why should public speaking skills be important to the Presidency? Abraham Lincoln stuttered like Biden does. Harry Truman meandered like Trump does. It’s a really sad thing that we’ve allowed these non-important factors to have such significance. 

17 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

First off I strongly disagree with the statement “Biden gets lost more often than not.” But deciding a President shouldn’t be about who gets rattled when somebody is screaming at him anyhow. In any event, Biden doesn’t get rattled easily. He won the first debate in 2020 by telling Trump to shut up. But that shouldn’t be a way to win a debate either. 

If this favors Biden it’s only because Trump isn’t a serious person. He’s a clown, incompetent and totally unsuitable to be POTUS. I suspect that deep down you guys know this and that’s why you think this setting is going to be “unfair”. 

First of all, I am not saying a debate winner should be determined by who gets rattled and who doesn't.... hence why I said it may be fair. I am sure you read that part of my post. But lots of other debates have allowed such behavior, so it is interesting to see that change right now. 🤔

Although I will say, ability to remain unrattled is a quality I would like in my POTUS. I will also say that Trump is also easily rattled, but in a different sense. 

I guess the overall point is, these are new debate rules, right? Or at least some of them are new? It does not surprise me that the format and rules have been blatantly tailored to what Biden needs to be able to, hopefully, think and speak clearly. 

You're also saying Biden won the first debate... 4 years ago. As an independent, I can clearly see the cognitive difference in Biden 2020 to current day. 

Trump is not a lifer politician. So many other candidates are polished politicians because they have spent a majority of their life in the crooked world of politics. They know how to shake hands, kiss babies and we find out about lots of the shady shiit, after their terms are over. Trump is not that. Similar to how a Mark Cuban type would be if running for president. These guys have egos, just like Biden does, but they are business men first, not polished politicians for their parties. Trump is just as suitable to be POTUS as Biden (or as Hillary was). I actually agree he coms off as more of a clown, but you lose me at "incompetent" if you're comparing him to Joe. 

and no, it favors Biden because Trump is way more equipped to handle a crowd as well as quick witted responses, talking over / being talked over, being interrupted etc. Joe has long been  at the point where he needs to be handled with kid gloves and this setup seems as manufactured for him as possible 

I would rather see them engage in a series of games.  Checkers, then Chess, then Heads up no limit poker followed by Trivial pursuit featuring world geography, history, world leaders, general science, geopolitcal conflicts and wars of the last two centuries, and constitutional law decisions.  it might also be fun to put them in side by side escape rooms doing the same escape at the same time with each being miked up so the other can hear them.  We could also require them to do a series of Wordle and Soduku puzzles.  I want to learn something about their memory, access to stored knowledge, and problem solving.  Frankly I doubt either would fare well against a moderately intelligent high school sophomore.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Both Trump and Biden are pretty lousy at public speaking IMO. Trump is better than Biden, especially when speaking off the cuff, but that’s a measure of degrees. Neither man comes close to the skills of a Reagan or Obama. 

But that leads to the question: why should public speaking skills be important to the Presidency? Abraham Lincoln stuttered like Biden does. Harry Truman meandered like Trump does. It’s a really sad thing that we’ve allowed these non-important factors to have such significance. 

Public speaking skills are important to the presidency for many reasons, including how we are viewed on a world stage. It is far from a non important factor. Dubya was widely seen as kind of a buffoon with and his Pops really running the show. I don't think this did any favors for us for foreign relations. And with Biden we are talking about way more than a simple stuttering issue. I couldn't care less about someone's speech impediment if they otherwise come off as a bright, coherent individual. 

I would even argue that how one articulates themselves as the leader of our nation is more important than many issues people typically see as important when you consider that so much policy candidates run on gets thrown out the window as soon as they win... or how even the policies they want to focus on once in office face pushback, red tape, other bog downs. The way a POTUS carries himself and presents himself on a global stage is very important as something they can fully control. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I would rather see them engage in a series of games.  Checkers, then Chess, then Heads up no limit poker followed by Trivial pursuit featuring world geography, history, world leaders, general science, geopolitcal conflicts and wars of the last two centuries, and constitutional law decisions.  it might also be fun to put them in side by side escape rooms doing the same escape at the same time with each being miked up so the other can hear them.  We could also require them to do a series of Wordle and Soduku puzzles.  I want to learn something about their memory, access to stored knowledge, and problem solving.  Frankly I doubt either would fare well against a moderately intelligent high school sophomore.

So basically like the Billy Madison Academic Decathlon?  I think by the end of it the moderator would be wishing for God to have mercy on OUR souls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn’t a bunch of folks saying there would never be a debate months ago?

Now the complaint is that there aren’t a bunch of goobers clapping in the audience. 

45 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

:lol: