scottybo

Percentage of Draft Budget to RB position

Going into my dynasty auction ppr draft ($100 budget), would you be happy allocating 53% of total budget if you ended up with McCaffrey, Josh Jacobs and Devin Singletary?  League starts 2 rbs no flex.

McCaffrey only.  If you don’t get him, I’d punt RB and spend on WRs.

I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of McCaff early... #1 two straight years. I wouldn't take the risk, but understandable why many do.

Auction or regular - my Rb advice is draft quantity in mid- to late-rounds, over quality in early rounds.

I don't want to invest my most valuable draft capital, in the least predictable/highest volatility position. Most top ranked Rbs last year didn't finish top 10 ... even though there were relatively few major injuries other than Chubb. Rb's who actually did finish top 10 generally came out of rounds 3-5... lowest was Mostert in rd 10. Der's gold in dem dar hills, just have to mine it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's putting over 50% of your budget for a "dynasty" team into 3 washed up RBs...

No, I don't like that strategy at all...

CMC will probably have a big season, so I get it, but dynasty is about youth, and he's not that. 

The other 2? I wouldn't pay a dime over what ever the basic value is for either.

Build a dynasty team with young WRs, not old RBs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's putting over 50% of your budget for a "dynasty" team into 3 washed up RBs...

No, I don't like that strategy at all...

CMC will probably have a big season, so I get it, but dynasty is about youth, and he's not that. 

The other 2? I wouldn't pay a dime over what ever the basic value is for either.

Build a dynasty team with young WRs, not old RBs

This

17 hours ago, scottybo said:

Going into my dynasty auction ppr draft ($100 budget), would you be happy allocating 53% of total budget if you ended up with McCaffrey, Josh Jacobs and Devin Singletary?  League starts 2 rbs no flex.

this is a solid RB room

I know everyone loves WR but there are always good wr available for reasonable dollars.    ideally you pay for one good WR and get the others later in the auction when the money has run low for a lot of people.

you likely can work with what you got at RB.  its just a matter of filling out the rest of the roster if you are at that point.    some would argue to spend on WR and go cheap on QB.   that strategy can work too but it largely depends on the rules and the scoring and how many roster spots you start at WR.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.  I ask cause I'm in a league where you can keep anyone on  your team as long as you are under budget going into the draft.  Here are my potential keepers and the prices.  Alot of players are kept in this league so finding quality replacements at reasonable costs in the draft is a challenge. 

• McCaffrey - $37
  • Jacobs - $13
  • Singletary - $3
  • AJ Brown - $17
  • Waddle - $14

Start 2 RBS and 3 WRS.   If i keep all of these, thats $84.  $16 to fill starting QB, TE, WR3 K, D, and 6 bench spots.  So not alot to work with so would have to fill roster with alot of cheaper players.  McCaffrey is a huge expense but on the fence if he's worth it.  He's also a tradeable asset after the draft if my team is out of contention to start the rebuild process.  Also on the fence about Waddle.  Can i find a cheaper guy who can put up same production?

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, scottybo said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I ask cause I'm in a league where you can keep anyone on  your team as long as you are under budget going into the draft.  Here are my potential keepers and the prices.  Alot of players are kept in this league so finding quality replacements at reasonable costs in the draft is a challenge. 

• McCaffrey - $37
  • Jacobs - $13
  • Singletary - $3
  • AJ Brown - $17
  • Waddle - $14

Start 2 RBS and 3 WRS.   If i keep all of these, thats $84.  $16 to fill starting QB, TE, WR3 K, D, and 6 bench spots.  So not alot to work with so would have to fill roster with alot of cheaper players.  McCaffrey is a huge expense but on the fence if he's worth it.  He's also a tradeable asset after the draft if my team is out of contention to start the rebuild process.  Also on the fence about Waddle.  Can i find a cheaper guy who can put up same production?

Thoughts?

Wouldn't Singletary go for like $1 or $2? I would definitely keep Josh Jacobs for $13, IMO. Good luck!

1 hour ago, RareN64Dream said:

Wouldn't Singletary go for like $1 or $2? I would definitely keep Josh Jacobs for $13, IMO. Good luck!

depends on the league.   this may actually be a know your league thing.  if everyone and their dog maxes out RB's you may be hard pressed to get someone better for cheaper.    I dont mind keeping him at $3.   but at the same time I also dont know what other choices he had.    he also has AJ brown and Waddle too.  AJ at $17 is likely a good deal too.

5 hours ago, scottybo said:

• McCaffrey - $37
  • Jacobs - $13
  • Singletary - $3
  • AJ Brown - $17
  • Waddle - $14

Thoughts?

referring to this, just getting clarification.  total budget is $200?     if that is the case, you are in good shape.   

if total budget is $100 its a tougher sell.   I guess you can get a QB on the cheap(it an be done but your options are limited) and a couple cheapie WR and be fine.  (WR3's are a dime a dozen and if you spend wisely you can fill out the rest of your roster with $1 and $2 and $3 players.

Realistically the only position you really need to spend money on likely is QB.   your WR are good enough and your RB are top notch (assuming good health)   I might want to look for a decent WR 3/4 in case of injury as CMC hasnt always been healthy.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, polecatt said:

Didn't even realize he was talking dynasty. Yeah over-spending on McCaff is probably a bad strategy. 

Probably better to spend the big bucks on young Wrs like Wilson, London, Harrison, etc.

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

referring to this, just getting clarification.  total budget is $200?  

Only a $100 budget.  For more context around league.  It's definitely a know your league type of situation.  Sorry for the long post

• Going on Year 16
  • $100/budget
  • Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3WR, 1 TE, K, D/ST and 7 bench spots
  • PPR
  • All players are able to be kept each year if fit within the budget prior to draft
  • Players price rise each year based total fantasy points scored the previous year (example CMAC kept at $33 last year, scored 391 fantasy points, $4 price increase - $37 to keep this year
    • Goal is to find cheap studs that can grow with your team for years before they become to expensive to keep
  • Alot of players are kept.  
    • Bijan Robinson was the best available RB in auction last year and he went for $28 (McCaffrey is the highest priced player right now)
    • There are typically teams with lots of money to spend but not alot of studs available (mostly rookies)
  • Last year i drafted Goff for $1; which turned out to be a steal (i could keep him for $4 this year)
  • I came in 2nd last year

What i see as my options:

• Go into draft with McCaffrey, Jacobs as starting RBs,  AJ Brown,  Waddle as WR1&2, with Singletary as my RB3 bench guy.  $84 of 100 budget spent. 
    • Hard to get a starting rb option for $3 (singletary)
  • Look to trade Waddle for a cheaper WR or TE option to free up some more cap going into draft
  • Don't keep McCaffrey and get back $37 of draft budget   (this is the critical decision that steers the ultimate direction of the team for years)

Other guys on my bench that "could" be considered keepable at prices but i don't have enough budget

• Drake London - $15
  • Gus Edwards -  $7
  • Goff - $4

Or would it be better to keep the 3 WRs over mccaffrey

keeping brown (17), waddle (14), and London (15)

2 hours ago, scottybo said:

If you keep Goff for $4, Jacobs for $13, AJ Brown for $17, Jaylen Waddle for $14 and Drake London for $15; that is $63 spent, I believe.

Not a bad team, on paper that those prices and you could keep Singletary, also for $3, if you want.

Up to you; you are right McCaffrey and I also think Drake London are the crucial decisions. I would keep Goff for sure, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, scottybo said:

Also, Gus Edwards for $7 could work out well too; I would maybe snag JK Dobbins as #3 or #4 RB, if you keep Edwards for insurance.

5 hours ago, scottybo said:

Last year i drafted Goff for $1; which turned out to be a steal (i could keep him for $4 this year)

ok I'd rather keep Goff at $4 than Singletary at $3.   anytime you can get a starter at qb at this price you should take it.  Not that I'm huge on Goff but you throw him back you are unlikely to get him back that cheap at auction after the season he just had.

but I do understand keeping singletary as he is penciled in to be a starter.    so thats not a dealbreaker for me either.

I have no issues with you keeping CMC.  he produced last year, and hes not a guy you let go of unless your team is not going to be competitive.

mostly its just a matter of preferences.   you have a reasonably good pool of potential keepers.

not worried about you filling out your WR on your roster.   the depth at WR is pretty good now.  you can fill it up with 1 and 2 dollar players who will be just fine at WR3.   

8 hours ago, Ray_T said:

ok I'd rather keep Goff at $4 than Singletary at $3.   anytime you can get a starter at qb at this price you should take it.  Not that I'm huge on Goff but you throw him back you are unlikely to get him back that cheap at auction after the season he just had.

but I do understand keeping singletary as he is penciled in to be a starter.    so thats not a dealbreaker for me either.

I have no issues with you keeping CMC.  he produced last year, and hes not a guy you let go of unless your team is not going to be competitive.

mostly its just a matter of preferences.   you have a reasonably good pool of potential keepers.

not worried about you filling out your WR on your roster.   the depth at WR is pretty good now.  you can fill it up with 1 and 2 dollar players who will be just fine at WR3.   

Who do you think is a more valuable keeper?  Waddle at 14 or London at 15?

1 hour ago, scottybo said:

Who do you think is a more valuable keeper?  Waddle at 14 or London at 15?

I am surprised the cost to Keep London is so high.    I think London presents higher upside but also more risk if cousins cannot play.     hes also still not a fully proven commodity but I do think his numbers will take a big jump now that he has a starting calibre pro QB tossing him the ball.

what makes me cringe is that you have to pay more to keep him than Waddle.   that doesnt entirely make sense to me.   either way....

its mostly a matter of preference.    I do think that if cousins and London both play the whole year, London should outperform Waddle.     but factoring in the risks, this is a tough call as there is still a chance Cousins may not play week 1 (though I still think he probably plays).   But London has way more upside now and could possibly break into the top 10 if things fall right.    Something that wont likely happen with Waddle.

I probably would swing for the fences and keep London.   but most people would likely tell you to stick with Waddle. 

London does cost more but not by a lot.   and Waddle is not entirely without Risk.  a year ago lots of people were avoiding Tua because they felt he was one concussion away from being out of the league.     that risk still exists. but the recency bias has people likely ignoring that.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I am surprised the cost to Keep London is so high.    I think London presents higher upside but also more risk if cousins cannot play.     hes also still not a fully proven commodity but I do think his numbers will take a big jump now that he has a starting calibre pro QB tossing him the ball.

what makes me cringe is that you have to pay more to keep him than Waddle.   that doesnt entirely make sense to me.   either way....

its mostly a matter of preference.    I do think that if cousins and London both play the whole year, London should outperform Waddle.     but factoring in the risks, this is a tough call as there is still a chance Cousins may not play week 1 (though I still think he probably plays).   But London has way more upside now and could possibly break into the top 10 if things fall right.    Something that wont likely happen with Waddle.

I probably would swing for the fences and keep London.   but most people would likely tell you to stick with Waddle. 

London does cost more but not by a lot.   and Waddle is not entirely without Risk.  a year ago lots of people were avoiding Tua because they felt he was one concussion away from being out of the league.     that risk still exists. but the recency bias has people likely ignoring that.

The reason London costs more to keep is because there was only a handful of good WRs last year available in the draft.  So I had to overpay to get him.  I believe I drafted Waddle a few years back at a reasonable price and he has grown incrementally ever since.   That's what makes this league interesting.  If you draft a player cheap before he explodes, you have a keepable asset for many years.  Otherwise you have to overpay in draft for known commodities or basically commit to a rebuild year where you trade your high priced studs to contenders for cheap keepable assets.

47 minutes ago, scottybo said:

The reason London costs more to keep is because there was only a handful of good WRs last year available in the draft.  So I had to overpay to get him.  I believe I drafted Waddle a few years back at a reasonable price and he has grown incrementally ever since.   That's what makes this league interesting.  If you draft a player cheap before he explodes, you have a keepable asset for many years.  Otherwise you have to overpay in draft for known commodities or basically commit to a rebuild year where you trade your high priced studs to contenders for cheap keepable assets.

makes sense.   I guess in the sense of this, London likely has more long term value than Waddle.    There is a chance Waddle may out perform him this year(especially if Cousins misses some time)   That said, the difference shouldnt be large.....and if it happens, this may be the last year it happens.

in keeping with long term value, London is the guy I would keep.

Yeah i like London's upside as well.   I'm also exploring trade options of   Waddle, london or Mccaffrey to shed some salary. 

Some guys i could potentially target with trades at cheaper prices:

• M Pittman - $8
  • Tank Dell - $3
  • Nico Collins $3
  • Aiyuk - $9
  • Nacua - $8
  • Laporta - $3
  • Kincaid - 2

The teams with these players have budget going into the draft so they can afford to take on salary, if the trade makes sense.  For example would you trade McCaffrey for Laporta for a budget savings of $34?   Not saying the other team would accept McCaffrey for laporta straight up.  LaPorta is his only keeper so he has to rebuild his whole team and most RB will be kept.

Then my team could be:

QB - Goff ($4)
RB - Josh Jacobs ($13),  Gus Edwards ($7), Singletary ($3)
WR - AJ Brown ($17), London ($15), Waddle ($14)
TE - LaPorta ($3)

total of $82 with $18 to spend on draft to upgrade RB2 and fill out bench players.

Do you have to have $1 left for every player you draft or can you draft guys for $0 or fractions of a dollar or just add players after the draft?

I think I would consider keeping all of your players except Waddle. Draft a TE for $2 and a WR for $2 and call it a day.

On 6/28/2024 at 8:36 AM, scottybo said:

Yeah i like London's upside as well.   I'm also exploring trade options of   Waddle, london or Mccaffrey to shed some salary. 

• M Pittman - $8
  • Tank Dell - $3
  • Nico Collins $3
  • Aiyuk - $9
  • Nacua - $8
  • Laporta - $3
  • Kincaid - 2

The teams with these players have budget going into the draft so they can afford to take on salary, if the trade makes sense.  For example would you trade McCaffrey for Laporta for a budget savings of $34?   Not saying the other team would accept McCaffrey for laporta straight up.  LaPorta is his only keeper so he has to rebuild his whole team and most RB will be kept.

Then my team could be:

QB - Goff ($4)
TE - LaPorta ($3)

total of $82 with $18 to spend on draft to upgrade RB2 and fill out bench players.

Depending on what RB are going to be available. I think you could, probably; find better RB than Gus Edwards and Devin Singletary.

I would rather have Josh Jacobs be my RB #2; than RB #1. Trading McCaffrey seems like a good idea to me, if possible. Keeping him will affect your depth talent overall IMO. But, obviously Christian McCaffrey is a good RB to have also; but is he worth that $37 price tag in a $100 auction?? That would be nice, if you ended up getting Edwards and Singletary for $1 in the draft; thus saving you $8, if you still want them.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:36 AM, scottybo said:

• M Pittman - $8
  • Tank Dell - $3
  • Nico Collins $3
  • Aiyuk - $9
  • Nacua - $8
  • Laporta - $3
  • Kincaid - 2

Then my team could be:

QB - Goff ($4)
TE - LaPorta ($3)

fair enough.   though some of those guys are on such good auction friendly dollar values its likely damn near impossible to get the owner to trade them.   I know I wouldnt.

On 6/29/2024 at 12:11 AM, Gepetto said:

Do you have to have $1 left for every player you draft or can you draft guys for $0 or fractions of a dollar or just add players after the draft?

I think I would consider keeping all of your players except Waddle. Draft a TE for $2 and a WR for $2 and call it a day.

$1 is the minimum bid.  Undrafted players who get picked up during the season salary is $5.   Don't have to stay under budget once the draft ends but impacts the keepability for future years.

On 6/29/2024 at 3:45 PM, RareN64Dream said:

Depending on what RB are going to be available. I think you could, probably; find better RB than Gus Edwards and Devin Singletary.

I would rather have Josh Jacobs be my RB #2; than RB #1. Trading McCaffrey seems like a good idea to me, if possible. Keeping him will affect your depth talent overall IMO. But, obviously Christian McCaffrey is a good RB to have also; but is he worth that $37 price tag in a $100 auction?? That would be nice, if you ended up getting Edwards and Singletary for $1 in the draft; thus saving you $8, if you still want them.

I don't think singletary and Edwards would go for $1.  Are they worth more, who knows.  But supply and demand will drive up their price.  Probably the best RBs that may be available are Barkley, Bijan Robison Mixon, rookie rbs and maybe a few mid tier rbs.   There will be teams entering the draft with no starting RBs on their roster so will need to pay in order to get at least one.

• Like 1

I wasn't really sure how I would answer this until I read 'dynasty'

so no. absolutely not. I wouldn't spend big on any of the players you mentioned because I don't see any value there. CMC will have a big year but how long will help you in dynasty? unless you plan to flip him after the season.

I'd much rather focus on stacking my WR room with young stars, maybe penciling LaPorta in as my TE, getting a value QB (one of the first to come to mind is actually Dak as someone who will get overlooked because he is now older but can put up numbers and will still get you plenty of seasons). 

As for RB, maybe identify one player to be your #1 who is a "value" relative to budget. Jonathan Taylor might be one of the higher priced guys I don't mind a spend on. significantly cheaper than CMC (or Hall or Robinson) still young and locked in.    After that I probably don't consider anyone until Pacheco/Etienne as guys with upside who's prices are palatable right now.  Otherwise, I wait for Rhamondre/Zamir/Kendre Miller/Rico     

and for a dynasty, if Chubb's price tag is suppressed due to his injury, he might be worth a stab.

On 6/25/2024 at 10:40 AM, scottybo said:

• McCaffrey - $37
  • Jacobs - $13
  • Singletary - $3
  • AJ Brown - $17
  • Waddle - $14

Thoughts?

and then i read this and my last post was a waste of time :lol:.  I do wish people would give all the information up front.  First post makes it sound like a startup draft, which is obviously going to get very different advice than what is essentially a keeper league where you may simply be stuck with certain players at their price points because of the lack of draftable players in general. 

I don't like CMC at $37 but this isn't a true dynasty so might as well keep him. Singletary at $3 is cheap enough. AJ Brown stays at $17. 

I might let Jacobs go to save the $13. That's about his budget in a redraft but you might be able to turn that into Zack Moss and Dalton Kincaid. It's hard to say one way or another without knowing what players will be in the draft pool. I can't imagine Moss and Kincaid not being kept so.... 

A little odd that you don't have a QB worth keeping. 

On 6/25/2024 at 8:38 PM, scottybo said:

Other guys on my bench that "could" be considered keepable at prices but i don't have enough budget

• Drake London - $15
  • Gus Edwards -  $7
  • Goff - $4

I'd be keeping London and Goff (unless you think you can get a startable QB for $1-$3. I don't know how your other league owners operate. If you can get a Lawrence/Cousins/Tua or get Goff back cheaper  then just keep London. 

Release Jacobs. 

CMC, Singletary
Brown, Waddle, London

$14 to spend on QB(Goff back for cheaper?), TE, RB3, depth.  

Basically, i'd rather have London and $2 less budget than Jacobs.  WR>RB in this keeper/dynasty hybrid league and you still have 2 starting backs on your roster, with one of them being a league winner. 

Also based on your rules, if you are not required to leave the draft with a DST and K, i'm not sure why you would even spend $1 on any. Sounds like they can be picked up for $5 after the draft, which has no impact on your budget, and you wouldn't keep them next season anyway.

23 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I'd be keeping London and Goff (unless you think you can get a startable QB for $1-$3. I don't know how your other league owners operate. If you can get a Lawrence/Cousins/Tua or get Goff back cheaper  then just keep London. 

Release Jacobs. 

CMC, Singletary
Brown, Waddle, London

$14 to spend on QB(Goff back for cheaper?), TE, RB3, depth.  

Basically, i'd rather have London and $2 less budget than Jacobs.  WR>RB in this keeper/dynasty hybrid league and you still have 2 starting backs on your roster, with one of them being a league winner. 

Also based on your rules, if you are not required to leave the draft with a DST and K, i'm not sure why you would even spend $1 on any. Sounds like they can be picked up for $5 after the draft, which has no impact on your budget, and you wouldn't keep them next season anyway.

Appreciate the response!  Alot to consider.    We do have to come out of the draft with a valid roster so D and K are required.  I allocate $1 per.  

1 hour ago, scottybo said:

Appreciate the response!  Alot to consider.    We do have to come out of the draft with a valid roster so D and K are required.  I allocate $1 per.  

I think it's a no brainer to keep London and let Jacobs go.  if it's start 2RB, 3WR and no flex, I think you can find an RB3 or even go for two RB4 types with upside. You'll have $12 to spend after allocating $2 to kicker and defense.  With how many QBs are fantasy viable, I have to believe you can land a starter for $3 and not even spend $1 on a backup, just add one after the draft. That leaves you $9 for  a starting TE, backup RB, backup WR and any other depth you feel you need to get via the draft rather than free agency. 

Again I have no idea what players will be kept in your league and I am admittedly looking at redraft auction values but cheap options I like at each position include...

QB - Cousins/Goff/Baker/Tua ...  Carr/Minshew undrafted

RB - Dowdle/Kendre Miller   ....  Tyrone Tracy and Elijah Mitchell since you own CMC and Singletary.  I left out any backs I think would go for $5 or more but of course there is the option of bringing Edwards back or Javonte Williams, jerome ford, zack moss etc.... 

WR - Hollywood/Sutton..... Cooks/Josh Palmer/Jermaine Burton/

TE - This is where you're really going to be hurting unless you league spends far less than current auction values.   I think you have to target the likes of Friermuth/Juwan Johnson/Hunter Henry

One final thing to consider.

If CMC were to be released back into the draft pool, how much do you think he would go for? $31 looks like his going rate for 12 team PPR with $100 budget. He's costing you $37.  Is there a chance you could release him and redraft him at $34? It's risky for sure but that savings could go a long way in helping you build your depth

• Like 1

To risky. Could also lose money. 

can you trade for money?  let's say another owner is in a win now situation and really wants McCaffery.  Can you trade McCaffery for Zack Moss and a extra $10?

On 7/6/2024 at 8:23 PM, Super Cubs said:

can you trade for money?  let's say another owner is in a win now situation and really wants McCaffery.  Can you trade McCaffery for Zack Moss and a extra $10?

If he can trade, its certainly a good idea.   trading for Zack Moss and only $10 extra would not be a great idea.   Maybe Moss and $25 extra at the least.

On 7/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, WhiteWonder said:

One final thing to consider.

If CMC were to be released back into the draft pool, how much do you think he would go for? $31 looks like his going rate for 12 team PPR with $100 budget. He's costing you $37.  Is there a chance you could release him and redraft him at $34? It's risky for sure but that savings could go a long way in helping you build your depth

I think he would go around the same price or more.  There will be teams that will have alot of budget to spend and McCaffrey would be best available player. 

On 7/6/2024 at 8:23 PM, Super Cubs said:

No, you can't trade for money.    I offered McCaffrey for Laporta ($3)  to an owner who basically has no keepers.  He rejected since that's alot of budget to allocate to one person when you have to rebuild your whole team.

On 7/5/2024 at 12:42 PM, WhiteWonder said:

I think it's a no brainer to keep London and let Jacobs go.  if it's start 2RB, 3WR and no flex, I think you can find an RB3 or even go for two RB4 types with upside. You'll have $12 to spend after allocating $2 to kicker and defense.  With how many QBs are fantasy viable, I have to believe you can land a starter for $3 and not even spend $1 on a backup, just add one after the draft. That leaves you $9 for  a starting TE, backup RB, backup WR and any other depth you feel you need to get via the draft rather than free agency. 

Again I have no idea what players will be kept in your league and I am admittedly looking at redraft auction values but cheap options I like at each position include...

QB - Cousins/Goff/Baker/Tua ...  Carr/Minshew undrafted

RB - Dowdle/Kendre Miller   ....  Tyrone Tracy and Elijah Mitchell since you own CMC and Singletary.  I left out any backs I think would go for $5 or more but of course there is the option of bringing Edwards back or Javonte Williams, jerome ford, zack moss etc.... 

WR - Hollywood/Sutton..... Cooks/Josh Palmer/Jermaine Burton/

TE - This is where you're really going to be hurting unless you league spends far less than current auction values.   I think you have to target the likes of Friermuth/Juwan Johnson/Hunter Henry

So if i drop Jacobs and keep:

McCaffrey ($37)
Singletary ($3)
A Brown ($17)
D London ($15)
Waddle ($14)

I would have a max spend of $4 max bid to fill starting QB, TE, K, Defense and 7 bench spots.   If i get a $4 QB, then everyone else must be $1 players.  Would have a good starting lineup but one injury could doom my season with little depth.   Makes this league very interesting year to year.

59 minutes ago, scottybo said:

So if i drop Jacobs and keep:

McCaffrey ($37)
Singletary ($3)
A Brown ($17)
D London ($15)
Waddle ($14)

I would have a max spend of $4 max bid to fill starting QB, TE, K, Defense and 7 bench spots.   If i get a $4 QB, then everyone else must be $1 players.  Would have a good starting lineup but one injury could doom my season with little depth.   Makes this league very interesting year to year.

Keeping Jacobs leaves you in the same scenario except two of your bench players can cost $2. Not a big difference. 
plus, if you’re not keeping Goff at $4 I’d be looking for a $2 QB with a $1 backup QB. 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:35 AM, WhiteWonder said:

Keeping Jacobs leaves you in the same scenario except two of your bench players can cost $2. Not a big difference. 
plus, if you’re not keeping Goff at $4 I’d be looking for a $2 QB with a $1 backup QB. 

if dropping Jacobs allows you to spend $2 per player instead of one, I question whether Jacobs should then be dropped.   in the end, its not helping a ton on the back end.  I dont know that a 2 dollar player is a substantial enough improvement on a $1 player to make this move worth your while.    That said, it could be a know your league thing, and nobody here knows your league like you do.

my 2 cents.

as for CMC, if you can trade him (or any player) for dollars, thats potentially a game changer and wed need to look at everything again.

but assuming that's not the case,  he may be a player who is easier to move after the protection deadline.   then you could trade him for a number of assets without auction dollar consideration.   before the draft thats a much harder move to make and in most cases the return wont be as good.

On 7/15/2024 at 12:49 AM, Ray_T said:

if dropping Jacobs allows you to spend $2 per player instead of one, I question whether Jacobs should then be dropped.   in the end, its not helping a ton on the back end.  I dont know that a 2 dollar player is a substantial enough improvement on a $1 player to make this move worth your while.    That said, it could be a know your league thing, and nobody here knows your league like you do.

my 2 cents.

as for CMC, if you can trade him (or any player) for dollars, thats potentially a game changer and wed need to look at everything again.

but assuming that's not the case,  he may be a player who is easier to move after the protection deadline.   then you could trade him for a number of assets without auction dollar consideration.   before the draft thats a much harder move to make and in most cases the return wont be as good.

As of now, we can't trade for dollars but it's actually one of the changes our league wants to implement.  If it goes into effect this year before the draft, which is Labor Day weekend, more to consider.  But assuming it doesn't,   teams are starting to drop people they aren't keeping.   Saw Mahomes and Kelce Dropped.  Both were pretty expensive for their positions.  Lower 20s.

Not keeping McCaffrey would free up budget to go after higher end starters like that in other positions while trying to build RB depth of cheaper players.

As a hypothetical example:  what combo would be better:

Goff, Mccaffrey, Jacobs, AJ Brown, D London $1 TE (can't keep waddle if keep CMC)

Vs

Mahomes, Josh Jacobs, D Singletary, AJ Brown, D London, J Waddle, T Kelce