Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Had to put our cat Ninja down yesterday. :(((((

Ninja, great guy, big, all black and part Maine Coon (we think, got him from a shelter).  A lot like a dog, he would hear the garage door and sit by the door to greet us.  Whenever my wife and I were in the same room, he made sure to join.  He loved sleeping up against my leg and hip.  He always came up to greet visitors.  Loved going into our back yard, watch birds, and eat grass.  When it was time to come in he was easily herded, then threw up said grass (OK, I didn't love that last part!).

But... he was14 years old which is entering geriatric age for a cat.  His eating had slowed, until finally on Thursday he didn't eat his Churu treat -- those things are like crack to cats.  Since that was the 4th, I took him to the vet Friday.  They did blood work... ehhh, his liver is shot.  Bilirubin off the charts, among other things.

My kids were luckily coming to our house that night for a birthday party, so I brought him home and they said their goodbyes.  The kids grew up with them, he was one of the family.  Wife and I took him in yesterday and they put him to sleep.

Adding to the sadness, my wife left this morning for Michigan to help move her mom into assisted living.  So all of a sudden I'm sitting in a totally empty house.  It's really weird.  I keep expecting to see him when I turn a corner.

If I'm salty in some of my responses, it's probably because I'm a little depressed.  Also your post probably sucked.  :thumbsup: 

• Sad 1

Sorry Jerry.  God really focked us by making it so that our fur babies have such a short lifespan compared to ours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Sorry Jerry.  God really focked us by making it so that our fur babies have such a short lifespan compared to ours. 

Thanks, and yeah, that sucks.  I was sitting in the vet's office on Friday, looking at a chart of cat vs. human age.  I thought 14 was kinda middle aged; ends up it maps to about 72 for us.  It actually helped me reconcile the decision that made the most sense.  :cheers: 

Damn Jerry. Sorry. It sounds like had a great life and was truly loved. Think of the great times and memories you and your family shared with each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Poor Cat. Sounds like one of the good ones. Sorry to read that. 

And, I've done the Mom thing your wife is going through, sucks bad. 

Shoulda Euthanized the Mom & put the cat on dialysis. 

Sorry to hear Jerry.  Too late obviously but when we put our last dog down we had a guy that came to the house.  Thought that was much better than doing it at the vet.

Sorry JK. We take care of these little family members for their entire lives and then be forced to take care of them in a way that is totally counter to our nature. :(  

So, you think your Black cat is some kind of Coon. 

Wow, Jer...😳

• Haha 2

Sorry man.  It's always so incredibly hard when you lose a pet. :cry:

(also Ninja please!)

First cat my wife and I had when we lived in an apartment was an all black cat we named Stealth.  Named her that as I worked on the B-2 Spirit (aka stealth bomber) flight simulator at the time.

She was a good cat. 😥

That sucks. :(

Sorry to hear that Jerry. RIP Ninja. 

I had a black cat I named Voodoo when we found him. He was a bad ass mofo that ruled the neighborhood. He was sweet and awesome with people, but other cats and critters, DDD. One night he came inside and dropped a live mouse at my father’s feet as he was watching The Mandrell Family Hour. Mr. Voodoo was bringing him a present. He lived to be seventeen. He died in my arms. He was waiting for me to come home. 

Sorry, Jerry. Losing a pet sucks. 😭 I hope you were with him in the end.

20 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

I hope you were with him in the end.

That's SICK! 🙀🍑🍆

😡

20 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

That's SICK! 🙀🍑🍆

😡

Best way to get over a cat is to get under a new one! 

• Haha 1

Damn Jerry. Cats dead, wife's out of town.

You're the only pvssy left in the house. 

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I am a degenerate bastard. Sorry for your loss, putting pets down is uniquely painful.

Thanks all for the kind words.  :wub: 

20 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Sorry to hear Jerry.  Too late obviously but when we put our last dog down we had a guy that came to the house.  Thought that was much better than doing it at the vet.

They gave us a list of about 10 companies that will do that.  Thing is, we had no time.  We got the diagnosis Friday evening, and my wife was leaving town Sunday morning, and she wanted to be there as well.

1 hour ago, OldMaid said:

Sorry, Jerry. Losing a pet sucks. 😭 I hope you were with him in the end.

Yes, I was there.  I held his head in my hands and looked him in the eyes as the vet put in the sedative.  His eyes got wide, like he was scared of whatever was going on, and I'm glad he had a familiar face to look at before he closed them for a final time.  

I was pretty composed until that sedative shot, then I just broke down like a sobbing child.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yes, I was there.  I held his head in my hands and looked him in the eyes as the vet put in the sedative.  His eyes got wide, like he was scared of whatever was going on, and I'm glad he had a familiar face to look at before he closed them for a final time.  

I was pretty composed until that sedative shot, then I just broke down like a sobbing child.  

Hang in there. We just went through the same thing a few months ago. You did the right thing. :cheers:

1 minute ago, OldMaid said:

Hang in there. We just went through the same thing a few months ago. You did the right thing. :cheers:

Thanks.

Also I thought I threw a softball there for someone to say he was scared by my ugly face!  😜

I am so sorry, Jerry. Losing a fur baby is never easy. sending ❤️ 

One last thing.  Ninja is a pretty cool cat name. :ninja:

Sorry to hear Jerry. Pets don’t get the credit they deserve. Their unconditional love and unique personalities are special, which makes these times all the more difficult.

3 hours ago, Strike said:

One last thing.  Ninja is a pretty cool cat name. :ninja:

Thanks.  When we got him from the shelter, his name was Clumsy.  In hindsight, that was a pretty good name for him, because he wasn't the most agile of cats.  But we were all doing taekwondo at the time, and somebody in the fam proposed Ninja as a name... it seemed perfect.  :thumbsup: 

16 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Our cat is 17 so I know she is on borrowed time. I’ll be pretty miserable when the time comes….sorry to hear about yours. 

Same.

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks all for the kind words.  :wub: 

They gave us a list of about 10 companies that will do that.  Thing is, we had no time.  We got the diagnosis Friday evening, and my wife was leaving town Sunday morning, and she wanted to be there as well.

Ugh, that's sad. RIP Ninja.

Sucky post that sucks