Sign in to follow this  
edjr

How is that Yuston heat with no power?

Supposedly power was restored to my house this morning.  Our fridge/freezers will be awful to clean out when we get home.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Supposedly power was restored to my house this morning.  Our fridge/freezers will be awful to clean out when we get home.

:(     Time to move to Alaska. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

:(     Time to move to Alaska. 

I am stuck living within driving distance to my wife's parents, which means somewhere within 10 hours of el paso.

Denver is within that limit, but cost of living is too high. I can have a better life living in houston than denver, because if my company transferred me from houston to denver i would not get a pay raise.  Plus everyone in my company wants to move to denver. My college buddy who works for the same company works there and it took him 3 years to get transferred there.

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

♨️

More than a million CenterPoint customers still without power 1 day after Beryl lashed SE Texas

https://abc13.com/post/houston-power-outages-update-centerpoint-tracker-beryl/15045210/

ONE day?  Meh.  In July of 2013 (the year after Hurricane Sandy that tore up North Jersey), we had a huge storm (just not a hurricane), that tore up South Jersey.  I was without power for a week.  I got by fine.

Edit: Realized I can't read.  I take back the "meh" comment.  That said, I stand by my claims that we were without power for a week and managed.  Most of the area was without power for 3 days.  Surrounding areas were without power for just 1.  Yeah, some actions need to take place, but for the mass majority, it's not a huge deal, just a major inconvenience.

10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Such a mess.  Where are you?  Why no generator?

Just now, Alias Detective said:

Such a mess.  Where are you?  Why no generator?

We are on our summer vacation, in El Paso right now and then Taos next week.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

ONE day?  Meh.  In July of 2013 (the year after Hurricane Sandy that tore up North Jersey), we had a huge storm (just not a hurricane), that tore up South Jersey.  I was without power for a week.  I got by fine.

I doubt you got by fine.  ;)

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

We are on our summer vacation, in El Paso right now and then Taos next week.

I live in the woods and go powerless a few times a year.  I've considered a whole house generator but lord they are pricey.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That article is wrong, our neighborhood just had the power restored this morning and power went out on Monday morning. We would have been without power for 2 days and there are still people without power.

My company just sent out an email that the office i work out of is closed and does not have power.

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I live in the woods and go powerless a few times a year.  I've considered a whole house generator but lord they are pricey.

It is only the 2nd time in 10 years we have had an extended power outage, the first time was during the freeze and we still had our fireplace and i have indoor safe propane heaters. This time we bailed and went on vacation early.

What is the cost to benefit ration of something that costs that much with all that associated maintenance that you only use rarely. If solar panels ever drop and electric cars ever become reasonably priced i think that would be the best way forward, although I feel like we have heard for last 10 years that solar panel prices will drop "soon" and electric car prices will drop "soon".

I am not sure if i believe that they will ever become reasonably priced.

Edit: We had 80 mph sustained winds, who knows what that would do to solar panels.

23 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It is only the 2nd time in 10 years we have had an extended power outage, the first time was during the freeze and we still had our fireplace and i have indoor safe propane heaters. This time we bailed and went on vacation early.

What is the cost to benefit ration of something that costs that much with all that associated maintenance that you only use rarely. If solar panels ever drop and electric cars ever become reasonably priced i think that would be the best way forward, although I feel like we have heard for last 10 years that solar panel prices will drop "soon" and electric car prices will drop "soon".

I am not sure if i believe that they will ever become reasonably priced.

Edit: We had 80 mph sustained winds, who knows what that would do to solar panels.

What makes you lean “whole house” vs portable generator?  Convenience only?

44 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

What makes you lean “whole house” vs portable generator?  Convenience only?

being home.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

That article is wrong, our neighborhood just had the power restored this morning and power went out on Monday morning. We would have been without power for 2 days and there are still people without power.

My company just sent out an email that the office i work out of is closed and does not have power.

Oh, yeah, it's a major inconvenience and a pain in the azz.  I know a few will require real help, but for the most part, it's not as big a deal in the summer as it would be in the winter.

52 minutes ago, purdygood said:

But i thought Texas was God's country!?

god hates illegals

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

god hates illegals

so he punishes the non illegals too ? not a god i wanna worship.

19 minutes ago, purdygood said:

so he punishes the non illegals too ? not a god i wanna worship.

I thought shanny was your god?

Just now, edjr said:

I thought shanny was your god?

He doesn't have that killer instinct. Always failing in the super bowl.

18 minutes ago, purdygood said:

He doesn't have that killer instinct. Always failing in the super bowl.

Is it him or his low rent Quarterbacks?

26 minutes ago, edjr said:

Is it him or his low rent Quarterbacks?

Being OC of a failed 28-3 lead leads me to believe its him...

1 minute ago, purdygood said:

Being OC of a failed 28-3 lead leads me to believe its him...

If the Patriots blew that 28 to 3 lead, would Belichick or McDaniels be blamed?

I was working on Centerpoint when when I quit my company. Glad to not have to deal with this.

Just now, edjr said:

If the Patriots blew that 28 to 3 lead, would Belichick or McDaniels be blamed?

Both (shrugs)