Mike FF Today

Round One-Three Commentary - July Mock 2024

:cheers:

CeeDee Lamb has gotten a ton of hype this offseason.  Do you guys think he'll actually live up to it?

With Dak's contract situation in flux, he will definitely be trying to fill up the stat sheet.  The running game taking pressure off of the passing game is the biggest question, and the biggest concern for Lamb's production.

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

CeeDee Lamb has gotten a ton of hype this offseason.  Do you guys think he'll actually live up to it?

I think he will have a big season but maybe not quite as big as last season.

He should be a top 5 fantasy WR

Been 2 hours for WW

2 minutes ago, robb said:

Been 2 hours for WW

We had a little server slow down this morning, so I'm going to give WW until 11:15 AM Central then make a pick for him if doesn't show by then.

18 minutes ago, remote controller said:

You were here 22 hours ago???

what does 22 hours ago have to do with 2 hours ago?  I am often here just can't always know when something is going to tie me up. 

apologies for the delay

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

what does 22 hours ago have to do with 2 hours ago?  I am often here just can't always know when something is going to tie me up. 

apologies for the delay

It was a joke about how you were ready to go 22 hours ago.

its all good.

so far no big surprises.    the first few picks went largely as I would have expected (give or take)

I am going into a long meeting at some point today but sadly wont know exactly when.  I've sent my list in to Mike on the off chance I cant be here.

Mike can you confirm you got my email?

15 minutes ago, remote controller said:

It was a joke about how you were ready to go 22 hours ago.

sorry man. I had a very annoying meeting this morning so it went over my head.

all good :cheers:

• Like 1

Went with St. Brown.  I really like what he's done in his career so far and I think the Lions are becoming a good team.

40 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I am going into a long meeting at some point today but sadly wont know exactly when.  I've sent my list in to Mike on the off chance I cant be here.

Mike can you confirm you got my email?

:thumbsup:

I would have nabbed Chase at 5, considered taking him vs Hall. 

Well…..this draft has gone to “ hell in a handbasket” already for me! IMHO, there wasn’t a first round player available who I would take, so I settled on the Rookie from Arizona. I wanted a WR here,  I am sure there is at least 1 WR you all think is worth it here, but I think he will have a drop off year and I can’t afford that in a first round pick.

I'm in the same boat as Robb.   I really wanted a WR but I never anticipated that all my picks at WR would be gone.  only guy I liked has a chance to go to another team (which is risky).    so you guys forced me to flip the script.   went with 2 RB.   Sequon who is in a better offense and a better line than he had last year and Henry who also has a better line and better offense. 

With Henry I expect the value will be in TD.   With Sequon I see them moving him around and using him in a multitude of ways.   I think it will be interesting to watch. 

wasnt wanting to go RB-RB but sometimes you gotta take what the draft gives you.

Just like Ray stated, not a good draft position IMO. I wasn’t wanting a RB here, but nothing excited me about players left so I went “young” again with a RB who I don’t have a lot of high expectations for this year.

The first nine picks went pretty much exactly like I expected.   A few players in a different order, but I didn't expect any of the first nine to be there with my tenth pick.  Last night I penciled in Wilson and am fairly satisfied with him.  He's entering his third "break out" year and he has put up solid numbers with sub-par QB's.  If Rodgers can stay healthy,  I think he could easily be a top 5 WR.

With the second pick I was thinking along the same lines as Ray_T and robb...nothing I really loved at the other positions  I debated the pick with another player here, but I went with Taylor as he has a more stable situation.  He's a work horse back and if he can stay healthy, I know a big IF, he should put up comparable numbers to the people drafted in front of him.  

There's a couple of surprises but nothing too crazy.

The latter half of the 1st round is tough. Just can't predict who will be there too well.

RBs are down but the 2nd tier WR1s aren't exciting either. Have to double up good in the 2nd round

Puka Nacua!

Love that pick! I think he's gonna pick up where he left off last season.

He seems to have fallen slightly during the offseason. Not sure why

I don't worry much about the floor Jefferson and Adams will offer, but I would worry about their upside. Nevertheless, Jefferson should be comparable to every other Round 1 receiver and I can only imagine Adams will be every bit as good if not significantly better than most WR2s. With his (Adams) quarterback situation only improving in 2024 (AOC will either get better in Year 2 or Minshew will win the job), I feel good about Adams' chances of being a WR1 again.

• Like 1

It's only the 2nd round and I was already racking my brain on which player to pick.  I knew the two players I wanted but didn't know if I should go WR or RB.  Decided to go with RB only because I don't think I'll have many good options with my next pick.  I don't feel like RB depth is all that great.

Had both Willians and Etienne on my list. RB just doesn't feel good at all this year, but there's also a plethora of WRs in this range. Felt like I was starting a tier when the last few picks ended one.

Pro Tip: You can click the "Follow" box on the right side of a topic to get an email notification every time someone replies to a thread. Do this for each round's pick thread, and you'll get alert every time a pick is made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Pro Tip: You can click the "Follow" box on the right side of a topic to get an email notification every time someone replies to a thread. Do this for each round's pick thread, and you'll get alert every time a pick is made.

Yes Mike…… I have used this feature for years, both in these Mocks and my slow draft leagues. I do this for draft rounds and the commentary threads. Great feature for keeping me informed!

• Like 1

Polecat: I took Harrison in round 1, need to re-pick.

My bad, I fixed it

Did we ever set up a best ball league with our picks from last year?  If so can anyone drop a link please and thank you?

21 hours ago, polecatt said:

There's a couple of surprises but nothing too crazy.

The latter half of the 1st round is tough. Just can't predict who will be there too well.

RBs are down but the 2nd tier WR1s aren't exciting either. Have to double up good in the 2nd round

The big difference I find is that the players I Identify as breakout guys who will be a value at their ADP are also identified by most of the guys here.   so you quite often get sniped on a player that would often fall to you in a regular draft.

thats a testiment to the knowledge of the drafters.    its a higher level of competition than we often see anywhere else.

21 minutes ago, ralphster said:

Did we ever set up a best ball league with our picks from last year?  If so can anyone drop a link please and thank you?

for last year?  we did.   the link to it is in the 2023 july mock round 12-16 commentary 

but the link is reposted here

Fantasy Football: 2023 FFToday: July Mock (myfantasyleague.com)

guess vikings beat me to the punch

Thanks gentlemen

Injuries really took a toll on my team last year, but I drafted a buncha clunkers to boot!

17 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

The big difference I find is that the players I Identify as breakout guys who will be a value at their ADP are also identified by most of the guys here.   so you quite often get sniped on a player that would often fall to you in a regular draft.

thats a testiment to the knowledge of the drafters.    its a higher level of competition than we often see anywhere else.

Yeah, people often toss around some of the same ideas on the same board, so it's more difficult to sneak up on anyone.

Also on here, where everybody is up to date, not nearly as likely to have someone who takes a QB in the 2nd round, or take a 10th round player in the 3rd or anything crazy like that.

I like Jacobs in this area. Pittman likely would have been my pick if WW took JJ, but RB's likely to be completely meh by my next pick so I'm happy to get my RB2.