Sign in to follow this  
*** 2024 Summer Olympics ***

57 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Top 5 moment...well I'm going to say George Brett coming out of the dugout and Bobby Knight chucking the chair on the court have be on that list too.

Haha true.  In the spirit of the Olympics and patriotism, this might be one of my favorites:

• Like 1

Greco Roman wrestling is boring.  No legs, WTF?  It seems the strategy is to look like you are trying to do something so they call a stalling point on your opponent.  :dunno: 

6 hours ago, peenie said:

I thought the foot over the line won first, but I guess the rules have changed. It was crazy close.
I watched it last night and thought, for all the jumping around Lyles did before the race, he should've won. 

Really?  You never wondered why they always lean forward at the line?  Nose of a horse, chest of a human.

49 minutes ago, JuneJuly said:

Really?  You never wondered why they always lean forward at the line?  Nose of a horse, chest of a human.

Imagine losing by 0.004 seconds.  That would have to eat at you.  It'd probably be easier to lose by 0.1 or more, something definitive.

Also, in the post-race interview, Lyles said something like "something just told me to lean."  Really?  Would it be that these races are decided by fractions of a second.  Why would you NOT lean?  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Greco Roman wrestling is boring.  No legs, WTF?  It seems the strategy is to look like you are trying to do something so they call a stalling point on your opponent.  :dunno: 

Agree, even most wrestling fans hardly watch Greco Roman, and the US kinda sucks at it anyway.

Did you watch Amit?

13 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Agree, even most wrestling fans hardly watch Greco Roman, and the US kinda sucks at it anyway.

Did you watch Amit?

I remember when that American heavyweight came out of nowhere to beat the unbeatable Russian guy, so I watched it, and was like... wut?  This sucks.

Regarding Amit:  Yeah, quite a domination.  It somewhat surprised me that her opponent, being of Olympic semifinal caliber, couldn't figure out how to free her legs.  But I presume that since she was of that caliber, it was just too good a hold.

I love the way they do the repechage -- if you lose at any point to one of the finalists, you enter a tourney for the bronze.  Having done competitive taekwondo, where we didn't do that, it sucked if you randomly drew a stud fighter early.  :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I remember when that American heavyweight came out of nowhere to beat the unbeatable Russian guy, so I watched it, and was like... wut?  This sucks.

Regarding Amit:  Yeah, quite a domination.  It somewhat surprised me that her opponent, being of Olympic semifinal caliber, couldn't figure out how to free her legs.  But I presume that since she was of that caliber, it was just too good a hold.

I love the way they do the repechage -- if you lose at any point to one of the finalists, you enter a tourney for the bronze.  Having done competitive taekwondo, where we didn't do that, it sucked if you randomly drew a stud fighter early.  :thumbsup: 

The North Korean was losing 8-2 with 33 seconds left in the quarters and may have intentionally injured her opponent before making a comeback.

11 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The North Korean was losing 8-2 with 33 seconds left in the quarters and may have intentionally injured her opponent before making a comeback.

I didn't see anything in that video that looked intentional.  :dunno: 

58 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I didn't see anything in that video that looked intentional.  :dunno: 

Possible it wasn’t intentional, but at around 6 seconds she forces the elbow against the joint.  Kinda like this:

11 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Possible it wasn’t intentional, but at around 6 seconds she forces the elbow against the joint.  Kinda like this:

I didn't see it, and don't know the rules, so I can't really judge.  

Romania was robbed of medals on the floor exercise. I think Brazil rightly earned gold, but silver and bronze should’ve gone to Romania. 

PARIS, France — Gymnastics great Nadia Comaneci was furious after fellow Romanian Ana Barbosu lost her bronze to American Jordan Chiles on Monday when U.S. coaches called for an inquiry that boosted Chiles' score and left Barbosu off the podium and crying on the floor at the Paris Olympics.

“I can’t believe we play with athletes mental health and emotions like this… let’s protect them,” the nine-time Olympic medalist wrote on X.

Barbosu initially thought she'd won a medal in Monday's floor final on the last day of gymnastics events. Chiles was the final competitor, and the initial score posted on the videoboard was lower than Barbosu's, prompting the Romanian to grab her country's flag and begin celebrating.

Moments later, it was announced that Chiles' coaches had asked judges to review the difficulty component of her score. That led to a .1 boost, bumping Chiles to 13.766 — just ahead of Barbosu's 13.700.

When the revised results flashed, the 18-year-old Barbosu looked up toward the giant screen and froze. She was then filmed exiting the venue in tears, devastated.

I can’t believe we play with athletes mental health and emotions like this… let’s protect them #anabarbosu https://t.co/BX2hipxmM5

— Nadia Comaneci (@nadiacomaneci10) 
“At this point, we had nothing to lose, so I was like ‘We’re just going to try," Team USA coach Cecile Landi said of the inquiry. "I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen but when I heard her scream, I turned around and was like ‘What?’”

I believe the session with Amit’s final starts at 12:15 Eastern, but she may not be for a bit after that, reading about 2:50

I didn’t know too much about her backstory, dang there’s a bit of everything.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/facing-family-tragedy-online-antisemitism-us-wrestler-amit-elor-vies-for-gold-in-paris/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEeVDdleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHTW6ZNtozsxqau8ZBq0-gudvJAU2hasNP4SIAiazM2UczFIFSUIw05Xh8Q_aem_9oGBJwKbBlbBdFFo3h29wQ

Grandparents survived the Holocaust

Parents moved to US from Israel

Dad died possibly of covid

One brother was a suspected marijuana dealer shot to death in a robbery attempt.

Today we also have 2 Greco guys both of whom already lost their first match and Sarah Hildebrandt, a bronze medalist from Tokyo.  The overwhelming favorite in her weight from Japan who was 82-0 internationally, just lost her first match to India.

IMO it’s between Hildebrandt and Helen Maroulis (2016 gold medalist going for her third Olympic medal) as the easiest on the eyes.

11 hours ago, peenie said:

Romania was robbed of medals on the floor exercise. I think Brazil rightly earned gold, but silver and bronze should’ve gone to Romania. 

So Romania was “robbed” because the judges initially screwed Childs but later fixed it?

Do you intentionally take the wrong position on every issue, or is it just coincidence?

17 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I didn't see anything dirty in that video.

12 hours ago, peenie said:

Making a wrong a right is not screwing anyone.

24 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

So Romania was “robbed” because the judges initially screwed Childs but later fixed it?

Do you intentionally take the wrong position on every issue, or is it just coincidence?

I this is a subjective sport. If it were not, it would be rated like swimming, with a computer reading. I personally, enjoyed both the Romanians floor performance, especially since both Biles and Chiles stepped out of bounds so many times. I just think it's favoritism. Biles deserved her win, Chiles did not, IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not the only one who disagrees. Did you actually watch? I watched and thought the Romanians did a better job, IMO.

1 minute ago, peenie said:

I this is a subjective sport. If it were not, it would be rated like swimming, with a computer reading. I personally, enjoyed both the Romanians floor performance, especially since both Biles and Chiles stepped out of bounds so many times. I just think it's favoritism. Biles deserved her win, Chiles did not, IMO. 

The sport is subjective in a lot of ways but there is still a consistent scoring system used.  They get points for turns, flips, landings and difficulty.  From what I had read, there was a turn or something that the judges missed and they didn't award her the points for it.  Hard to argue that.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The sport is subjective in a lot of ways but there is still a consistent scoring system used.  They get points for turns, flips, landings and difficulty.  From what I had read, there was a turn or something that the judges missed and they didn't award her the points for it.  Hard to argue that.

You are right. I just read an article that explained it. In fact, really helped me understand better. Apparently, they cannot change the score that is based on how well you think they executed their routine (which is like an opinion thing) but they can change the score based on the difficulty of the move they make. Apparently, they missed the fact that she did a difficult move:

D = Difficulty

Chiles’ original final score was 13.666, with a 5.8 D score.

Based on the skills Chiles’ performed in her floor routine, Team USA coaches submitted an inquiry to lift her D Score 0.1 point. 

The coaches told NBC that the skill called a Gogean, or a split leap with a 1.5-turn, was in Chiles' routine but was not originally credited by judges.

Upon review, the judges agreed that Chiles hadn’t been awarded full credit on her leap and raised her score the 0.1 point to 13.766.

Fair enough...
Okay, she deserved the win, but I enjoyed both the Romanian girl's floor routine better. 

Just now, peenie said:

You are right. I just read an article that explained it. In fact, really helped me understand better. Apparently, they cannot change the score that is based on how well you think they executed their routine (which is like an opinion thing) but they can change the score based on the difficulty of the move they make. Apparently, they missed the fact that she did a difficult move:

D = Difficulty

Yep.  Makes sense.

First 2 American women wrestlers 2 for 2 in making the gold medal match

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Sport is objective, performance is subjective.  Lots of olympic events are subjective.  Entertaining, athletic, impressive, but performance, not sport.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Sport is objective, performance is subjective.  Lots of olympic events are subjective.  Entertaining, athletic, impressive, but performance, not sport.

They still have a scoring system they follow.  Jumps, spins, flips and difficulty all have points and there are deductions for falls and stepping out.  Some of it is subjective but it still has a system like an other competition. 

Today’s Men’s 1500 has been hyped for years.  Kerr vs. Ingerbrigtsen - two all-time great milers with contrasting styles, both at the pinnacle of their careers, one the World champ and the other the reigning Olympic champ, and oh by the way - they absolutely hate each other.  Can anyone beat Ingerbrigtsen?  Is he going to set the world record?

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to history.  A race for the ages.

Hopefully they trip over each other and someone else wins.

I dunno what the cutoff is, but Simone Biles is either a midget or a Hobbit.

Four-foot eight.

Damn, she'd have to climb up to fall down. 🤔

9 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

I dunno what the cutoff is, but Simone Biles is either a midget or a Hobbit.

Four-foot eight.

Damn, she'd have to climb up to fall down. 🤔

Imagine being that short and still being able to jump 12 feet into the air.  Amazing.

3 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Agreed...  Events that depend on a judge for scoring, really doesn't make it worth watching for me IMO...

57 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Imagine being that short and still being able to jump 12 feet into the air.  Amazing.

What is that long box that they hold when they are on the stage accepting their medals

11 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

What is that long box that they hold when they are on the stage accepting their medals

I saw something about that.  Apparently each event has a special art piece for each medal winner.

5 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Umm… that’s a very odd correlation