Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

Sonya Massey - black woman shot by white police officer in her home

9 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

Dumb video.  Average people make lousy evaluators of how to execute “Justice.”  this is how we got the dumb idea to defund the police and have social workers go out on calls. Leave it to the professionals to execute Justice.  If they abuse the power, we have mechanisms to hold them accountable.

I think this was a video about compassion and standing up for people in need. Remember, a woman was murdered in front of her neighbors because no one called the police because they thought someone else would do it (bystander effect). I had a similar class and it taught me to take action when I witnessed abuse. I am forever grateful. 

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm not just talking about the ones we see, I'm also talking about the ones we don't see online but either sympathize or do the same thing in their classroom.  that's easily plenty more.  25% is the minimum.

I guess my thing would be- if someone sympathizes with the kids but doesn't necessarily talk about it with them- does that count in your number? Even still- 25% you are talking over 800 thousand people- and there are more conservatives in the teaching profession than you think I'd imagine

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

I watched the video again too and I tried my best to put myself in his shoes and not see him as the villain. I did note that she didn't just turn off the boiling pot of water, she picked it up. Was it boiling spaghetti and she was planning to drain off the water into a colander that was in the sink? Why did she move with the pot of boiling water and did that movement make him think she was going to throw it at him? When she rebuked him, did he think she was calling him a demon and thought she was going to throw the water on him? 

This still doesn't absolve him from murder, I'm just trying to get into his mind. He was way too aggressive towards her. 

Even if she was mentally ill, she didn't deserve a bullet. What if she was drunk? I mean, people don't always act perfectly normal. 

I'll say it again as I've stated over the years, we need a first responder that doesn't involve guns. We don't need police with guns to pull over a car that ran a stop sign, has a taillight out or is driving over the speed limit. We don't need police with guns to help a family with an adult that is having an episode or mental breakdown, we don't need police with guns to respond to a noise complaint or an intruder that isn't currently intruding. 

The part I bolded is the important part to me. I can understand the argument that sometimes things are too close to make a call. But here this guy overreacted and the minute he pulled his gun- the situation was going to end badly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

I watched the video again too and I tried my best to put myself in his shoes and not see him as the villain. I did note that she didn't just turn off the boiling pot of water, she picked it up. Was it boiling spaghetti and she was planning to drain off the water into a colander that was in the sink? Why did she move with the pot of boiling water and did that movement make him think she was going to throw it at him? When she rebuked him, did he think she was calling him a demon and thought she was going to throw the water on him? 

This still doesn't absolve him from murder, I'm just trying to get into his mind. He was way too aggressive towards her. 

Even if she was mentally ill, she didn't deserve a bullet. What if she was drunk? I mean, people don't always act perfectly normal. 

I'll say it again as I've stated over the years, we need a first responder that doesn't involve guns. We don't need police with guns to pull over a car that ran a stop sign, has a taillight out or is driving over the speed limit. We don't need police with guns to help a family with an adult that is having an episode or mental breakdown, we don't need police with guns to respond to a noise complaint or an intruder that isn't currently intruding. 

What are those officers suppose to do when one of those routine traffic stops turns violent?

Just now, peenie said:

You're wrong here.  Do you know how many cops get shot and killed during traffic stops?  It's one of the most dangerous aspects of their job.  The answer isn't to remove the tools they need to do their job.  If they didn't need them we would have already done that.  It's to better identify those who shouldn't be cops in the first place, properly train and educate them including on using restraint whenever possible, and holding those who don't live up to those standards accountable.  And in this case accountability is being had. 

All that being said, there will ALWAYS be an incident here or there.  it's not statistically possible to have a perfect anything.  So, we minimize it as much as possible but realize that things will still happen on occasion.   And it would help if there weren't so many people not acting properly in their interaction with police.  These guys put their life on the line every time they put that uniform on.  We need to understand that and make their job easy when we interact with them.  Don't give them reason to think they're in danger. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

What are those officers suppose to do when one of those routine traffic stops turns violent?

The same thing police officers do in other countries where they don't allow them to even carry guns. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

You're wrong here.  Do you know how many cops get shot and killed during traffic stops?  It's one of the most dangerous aspects of their job.  The answer isn't to remove the tools they need to do their job.  If they didn't need them we would have already done that.  It's to better identify those who shouldn't be cops in the first place, properly train and educate them including on using restraint whenever possible, and holding those who don't live up to those standards accountable.  And in this case accountability is being had. 

All that being said, there will ALWAYS be an incident here or there.  it's not statistically possible to have a perfect anything.  So, we minimize it as much as possible but realize that things will still happen on occasion.   And it would help if there weren't so many people not acting properly in their interaction with police.  These guys put their life on the line every time they put that uniform on.  We need to understand that and make their job easy when we interact with them.  Don't give them reason to think they're in danger. 

We will just have to disagree on this topic. If China and the United Kingdom manage, I think we can too. 

1 minute ago, peenie said:

The same thing police officers do in other countries where they don't allow them to even carry guns. 

Which is what?  People are unpredictable and police need to be armed and protected.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Which is what?  People are unpredictable and police need to be armed and protected.

Toll booth operators don't carry guns and they interact with car drivers, and they even have money. Somehow, they manage to do their jobs without weapons. Meter maids aren't walking around with guns and they give out tickets all the time without much incident. What about people who tow cars! If they aren't being shot dead, then our special unarmed police will be just fine without them. I'm not saying regular police, I'm saying, make a special task force that only gives out tickets for things like speeding, going through stop signs, have a broken window or taillight out. Those people don't need to be armed. 

13 minutes ago, peenie said:

We will just have to disagree on this topic. If China and the United Kingdom manage, I think we can too. 

China is your example. So you would prefer to live in a authoritarian dictatorship to eliminate police carrying guns. I guess that’s another reason, why you vote Democratic. That goes right along with your opposition to school choice

as far as the United Kingdom goes, I’d rather get shot then have acid thrown in my face.

28 minutes ago, peenie said:

Police don't need guns for those situations? Holy moly. They encounter people with guns that committed a crime and will have no problem offing a cop, especially if they were not to be armed.

12 minutes ago, peenie said:

Toll booth operators don't carry guns and they interact with car drivers, and they even have money. Somehow, they manage to do their jobs without weapons. Meter maids aren't walking around with guns and they give out tickets all the time without much incident. What about people who tow cars! If they aren't being shot dead, then our special unarmed police will be just fine without them. I'm not saying regular police, I'm saying, make a special task force that only gives out tickets for things like speeding, going through stop signs, have a broken window or taillight out. Those people don't need to be armed. 

You're pretty far off base here.  First of all, you have no idea if those other people are carrying.  Second, a job like working a toll booth is not dangerous.  A criminal doesn't care about a toll booth operator or meter maid.  They freak out when they see a cop though.

The tow truck guy wasn't as bad of an example but I bet most of those guys have a gun concealed on them or in their truck.  That's just common sense.

23 minutes ago, peenie said:

No we won't.  There are significant differences between our country and the two you mentioned, and even in England something like 10% of cops are armed.  In the U.S. cops need to be armed.  That's not debatable.  And you'd have trouble finding cops if you took away their guns.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You're pretty far off base here.  First of all, you have no idea if those other people are carrying.  Second, a job like working a toll booth is not dangerous.  A criminal doesn't care about a toll booth operator or meter maid.  They freak out when they see a cop though.

The tow truck guy wasn't as bad of an example but I bet most of those guys have a gun concealed on them or in their truck.  That's just common sense.

I'm going to guess a toll booth collector interacts with some very irrational people regularly. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

I'm going to guess a toll booth collector interacts with some very irrational people regularly. 

It's no where near the amount a cop does.  They probably deal with fewer people than ever before with technology now.  Also, how do we know they are not carrying?

22 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

It's not about irrational.  It's about dangerous.  I'm sure there have been violent incidents involving a toll booth operator but I bet they're pretty damn rare.  I mean, why would someone attack a toll booth operator?

9 minutes ago, Strike said:

It's not about irrational.  It's about dangerous.  I'm sure there have been violent incidents involving a toll booth operator but I bet they're pretty damn rare.  I mean, why would someone attack a toll booth operator?

People are idiots....that's why

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

Liberals are people in this sense for sure. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Sure, but unless you've got some evidence they're targeted in some way I'm gonna just quit this tangent.  Seems like you just picked a random occupation.  What next?  Mcdonalds drive thru clerk interacts with a lot of irrational people.  If you can't see the difference between those occupations and being a cop I don't know what to tell you.

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sure, but unless you've got some evidence they're targeted in some way I'm gonna just quit this tangent.  Seems like you just picked a random occupation.  What next?  Mcdonalds drive thru clerk interacts with a lot of irrational people.  If you can't see the difference between those occupations and being a cop I don't know what to tell you.

Where exactly did you stop reading this thread?

Peenie said: "Toll booth operators don't carry guns and they interact with car drivers, and they even have money. "

Hawkeye disagreed with him and said: "Second, a job like working a toll booth is not dangerous.  A criminal doesn't care about a toll booth operator or meter maid. "

So I responded and said: "I'm going to guess a toll booth collector interacts with some very irrational people regularly. " (NOTE- that isn't saying the job is dangerous. That isn't advocating for them to have guns or for police to not have guns because of that)

You chimed in to say: "t's not about irrational.  It's about dangerous.  I'm sure there have been violent incidents involving a toll booth operator but I bet they're pretty damn rare.  I mean, why would someone attack a toll booth operator?"

I responded with: "People are idiots...that's why" as an answer to your question of why would someone attack a toll booth operator.

Again- I'm not advocating anything gun wise in one way or the other. I was just commenting on the idea that I'm sure toll booth collectors confront whackos everyday. You for some reason took this to mean I'm saying we should arm toll collectors and accused me of picking a random occupation even though it was specifically mentioned for a number of posts- BY yourself included. Also, note- I'm not saying it is more dangerous than being a cop or really even close to the danger level. 

• Sad 1

Any chance Peenie came to the realization that she was very wrong with her opinion?

16 hours ago, Strike said:

Well, in 2022, it seems 43 were shot, doesn't say how many were killed. Maybe you can tell us.  

Shot in the line of Duty 2022

2022 SUMMARY DATA • A total of 331 law enforcement officers were shot in the line of duty during calendar year 2022 in 267 separate shooting incidents, including 42 incidents where multiple officers were shot.

• A total of 62 law enforcement officers died in 2022 as a result of being shot in the line of duty. Fifty-nine law enforcement officers died after being shot in 2022; 272 officers survived. In addition, in 2022, three officers succumbed to complications of gunshots wound that occurred during incidents that took place prior to 2022.1

• City or municipal law enforcement officers accounted for nearly two-thirds (60.7 percent) of all shooting incidents in 2022.

• Disturbance calls (49 incidents) and traffic stops (43 incidents) accounted for 35 percent of all shooting incidents and resulted in 111 officers shot.

• A total of 126 law enforcement officers were shot in 89 separate ambushes. Thirty-two of those officers died

6 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Well, in 2022, it seems 43 were shot, doesn't say how many were killed. Maybe you can tell us.  

There was a chart farther down, it was 8 who were killed at traffic stops.  "It's one of the most dangerous aspects of their job.", cause I'm guessing as a percentage of traffic stops to shootings, the numbers are pretty low.  

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

There was a chart farther down, it was 8 who were killed at traffic stops.  "It's one of the most dangerous aspects of their job.", cause I'm guessing as a percentage of traffic stops to shootings, the numbers are pretty low.  

As are the numbers of unarmed blacks killed by cops.  More people are killed by lightning each year.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:29 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Most departments issue tasers. On a side note, this is worse than the George Floyd incident, yet it’s not getting near the attention. Weird. 

That makes sense, but I was thinking of something that doesn't jolt the target with electricity. An object that wouldn't break the skin, but would cause enough pain to put anyone not amped up on PCP down temporarily. At that point they could restrain the person and go from there. 

3 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

That makes sense, but I was thinking of something that doesn't jolt the target with electricity. An object that wouldn't break the skin, but would cause enough pain to put anyone not amped up on PCP down temporarily. At that point they could restrain the person and go from there. 

They were trying bean bags at the end of my time. I guess it didn’t take. Also CS pellets. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They were trying bean bags at the end of my time. I guess it didn’t take. Also CS pellets. 

I always think of Johnny Knoxville when this subject comes up.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:17 AM, lickin_starfish said:

This is murder.

End of thread.