Ray_T

Round Four-Six Commentary - July Mock 2024

as we are past round 3 and I have not seen a new thread for this I've started one.

my comment better placed here:
wanted either Mixon or Achene, but both got sniped in front of me. I had told myself if that happened then I would take a QB instead. So, Hurts in round 4 appears to be good value and I wouldn’t get any of the other top QBs 21 picks later.

I can't remember the last time I used this strategy but I have my QB, RB, WR and TE with my first 4 picks.  Not sure if it will pay off or not.

Kamara... had my eye on him since making my last pick. Ideally not a great pair with Hall because of bye weeks but couldn't pass him up here.  75 receptions 1100 yards and 6 TDs last season while missing 4 games. I think he fends off the competition for 1 more season.

40 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Kamara... had my eye on him since making my last pick. Ideally not a great pair with Hall because of bye weeks but couldn't pass him up here.  75 receptions 1100 yards and 6 TDs last season while missing 4 games. I think he fends off the competition for 1 more season.

agreed.   

good pick.

Kamara and Diggs were the two options I had at the ready, both got sniped.  I hesitated with Walker since I took him in the June Mock as well, but this is meant to be a standalone mock, and I think he presents a good value here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, worm said:

Kamara and Diggs were the two options I had at the ready, both got sniped.  I hesitated with Walker since I took him in the June Mock as well, but this is meant to be a standalone mock, and I think he presents a good value here.

I was gonna take Kenneth Walker the next pick 😂

He's been the RB2 on my dynasty team for 2 seasons now, going into his 3rd behind Kyren Williams.

I think he has top 5 potential if he can stay healthy for 17 games

Taking 2 Baltimore pass catchers at 4/5 historically would not be good. But it looks like there's finally 2 reliable options for Jackson. I'm not sure the volume will be there, but I'll take the risk.

17 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Taking 2 Baltimore pass catchers at 4/5 historically would not be good. But it looks like there's finally 2 reliable options for Jackson. I'm not sure the volume will be there, but I'll take the risk.

I had a list of about 7 receivers and flowers was in it. But I wanted to go bold with Nabers. There’s no doubt the volume should be there, imo. 

I like Nabers a lot, but already having the #1 rookie WR I really wouldn’t consider him. But, nice pick there!

Ray: I see the Canadian wildfires are all over Alberta and Jasper NP. Are you safe where you are?

I know there is a good chance that Conner would have made it back to me in the sixth or even seventh, but it wasn't worth the risk for a player I love in the "RB dead zone." Conner was the last RB left who I believe has a chance to be a regular RB1 for the 12 or so games he plays.

Was looking at DK when I took Kupp.  He put up solid WR2 numbers last year and I think he is in a better situation, coach-wise, this year. The new O-Coordinator loves to throw the ball (top five in passing yards in the NCAA the last few years) which will mean more opportunities for Metcalf.  

My other thought was Kamara. I think he’ll put up excellent numbers this year.  Nice pick, WhiteWonder.

36 minutes ago, robb said:

Ray: I see the Canadian wildfires are all over Alberta and Jasper NP. Are you safe where you are?

I'm in Calgary.   no risks associated with the fire other than the fact we are breathing in smoky air and the weather being exceptionally hot.

Most of the fires are in Northern Alberta and I live in Southern Alberta so there is no safety concern for me.    I do appreciate your concern.   Thanks for asking.

The Football Guru

I know there is a good chance that Conner would have made it back to me in the sixth or even seventh, but it wasn't worth the risk for a player I love in the "RB dead zone." Conner was the last RB left who I believe has a chance to be a regular RB1 for the 12 or so games he plays.
—————————-/————//////

I almost agree with you…..except I think Z White is the last starting RB who has a chance to be a Top 12 back. He should get all the touches in Vegas, he catches passes and the last half of 2023 showed great promise. I’ll put my White up against your Connor all year, bet on? I’ve got an FF Today plastic cup as my end of the wager!

• Like 1

Well round five went in the crapper for me.  I had a short list that I was sure wouldn’t be depleted by the time it got to me:  Cooper, Jackson, Jones, Nabers, Kirk, Conner and Stevenson (not necessarily in that order).  Oh well.  

I am not one to take a TE early, but I figured I’d zig rather than zag since all my targets were gone.  McBride was TE 3 after he took over the starting role last year and I’d suspect a similar output this year, hopefully better.

15 minutes ago, robb said:

The Football Guru

—————————-/————//////

I almost agree with you…..except I think Z White is the last starting RB who has a chance to be a Top 12 back. He should get all the touches in Vegas, he catches passes and the last half of 2023 showed great promise. I’ll put my White up against your Connor all year, bet on? I’ve got an FF Today plastic cup as my end of the wager!

I think it is possible, although I tend to believe Conner will be more productive on a PPG basis.

I can't afford to part with the one FFT shirt I have and I don't want any more cups :)

Had to take a couple minutes to compose myself.    Mr. Landry and Robb sniped both the guys I was planning on taking.   I love both McBride and Zamir White, but alas it wasnt meant to be.  such is the curse of drafting on the turn.

either way, Kittle is nice consolation prize.   1000 yards receiving last year.  Thats better than nearly all of the WR left on the board. 

Not keen on the fact he gets injured as often as he does, but beggers cant be choosers, the talent level drops off significantly for TE from here on out.

Then I decided to take a risk with Swift.   hes also often injured but playing in an offense in Chicago that could potentially be explosive.   And with the rookie at QB its also possible they will run the ball a lot.   Lots of uncertainty with this player but lots of upside too.   he is my third RB but can play in my flex spot so this feels like a no brainer.

12 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

I think it is possible, although I tend to believe Conner will be more productive on a PPG basis.

I can't afford to part with the one FFT shirt I have and I don't want any more cups :)

I have a FF Today shirt too! Maybe on a PPG it’s Connor….but how many games will he play? It’s total points I look at!

Really like the upside of Diontae. He steps into the WR1 spot in Carolina and should be peppered with targets regularly. The QB in Carolina was suspect last year, but they brought in the QB guru who revived Geno Smith’s career and revitalized Mayfield last year in Tampa.  If the QB play improves, Diontae should easily be better than WR30.  Which is the upside I’m looking for in my fourth WR.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

Really like the upside of Diontae. He steps into the WR1 spot in Carolina and should be peppered with targets regularly. The QB in Carolina was suspect last year, but they brought in the QB guru who revived Geno Smith’s career and revitalized Mayfield last year in Tampa.  If the QB play improves, Diontae should easily be better than WR30.  Which is the upside I’m looking for in my fourth WR.

I will be heavy on Diontae this year without a doubt. I have seen his ADP at WR40 (???), which is ridiculous. I'm sure he will be a top 20 WR for me when I finish my projections.

24 minutes ago, robb said:

It’s total points I look at!

Fair point, especially in a BB format. While I doubt Conner will make it through the season w/o missing a game, I still want his upside in the 12 or so games he plays. If I do my job as a drafter, I should be able to minimize the impact of the games he misses.

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

Fair point, especially in a BB format. While I doubt Conner will make it through the season w/o missing a game, I still want his upside in the 12 or so games he plays. If I do my job as a drafter, I should be able to minimize the impact of the games he misses.

I wanted Conner bad.

I grabbed my #4 Wr because I felt he was the best available. ( Mc Laurin). I like what this offense can offer this year.

McLaurin was also on my radar at 5.4

and I figured Kincaid would not last to 6.9. Very high on him. 

49 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

McLaurin was also on my radar at 5.4

and I figured Kincaid would not last to 6.9. Very high on him. 

absolutely.  you were right about this.  if you wanted him this was the time to take him

4 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

I will be heavy on Diontae this year without a doubt. I have seen his ADP at WR40 (???), which is ridiculous. I'm sure he will be a top 20 WR for me when I finish my projections.

I think he'll be on the rise over the next few weeks. There was some positive coach speak today.

37 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

I think he'll be on the rise over the next few weeks. There was some positive coach speak today.

well,  ADP values are a function of what have you done for me lately?

and he had a QB tossing him the ball and that QB is no longer an NFL starting QB.    While you never know how much is the fault of the QB, the Coach or the WR I am inclined to think that its not all his fault.  Nobody in that offense performed which likely means it is either the coach or the QB.  Neither still have their jobs.

some saw his trade to Carolina as Pittsburgh giving up on him but maybe its a case where everyone needed a fresh start.    He gets this in Carolina and I do think he can turn it around.

but there is risk there too considering he has a rookie QB  so I dont know if there is a 1000 yard season there for him this year or not.   I think he gets close.   but the rest of the offense in Carolina also needs to step up and be better too.

given where he just got picked I'd say its low to medium risk (which is decent at this point in the draft)

6 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

I still never got a shirt despite 3 IBL titles for the site 😢.  Although 4VE also took home and individual title. He probably has a shirt though 😐

Tee Higgins rounds out my starting WRs. He's a proven WR on a good team in a contract year.  If he stays healthy this year he is a steal in the 6th round.

• Like 1

Was hoping for Higgins with my pick. RB is pretty depleted, but Harris should continue to get enough of the workload to justify this spot.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or does this July Mock draft seam like it is going at a glacier speed?? We are on our 4th day and we haven’t even finished 6 rounds. I seam to remember it being 2 to 2 1/2 rounds a day in prior years.

Or, am I simply incorrect in my memory?

I think Mostert and Pollard is a hell of a 6/7 turn to add to CMC.   I was hoping for one of those two with my next pick as an RB3.

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I think Mostert and Pollard is a hell of a 6/7 turn to add to CMC.   I was hoping for one of those two with my next pick as an RB3.

Agree! Now that it is your pick, who will you take instead?