Mike FF Today

Round Seven-Ten Commentary - July Mock 2024

I didn't really want to take a QB here, QB is deep this year and I wanted to wait at least another pick... but I couldn't ignore Stroud falling.

If I could have thought I'd get Stroud in the 7th round I would have certainly waited to do it! Great pick V4E....one of the best of the draft IMHO!

• Like 1

I had no intention of drafting Dell (nor did I expect him to be available anywhere close to this spot), but I am happy to scoop up all the value I can in these rounds.

I admittedly spaced on Montgomery being available. Might have picked him at 7.4. Nice selection. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

I admittedly spaced on Montgomery being available. Might have picked him at 7.4. Nice selection. 

Even with Dell still available, Montgomery would have been my pick at 7.08 if he was still available. I was originally going to take Montgomery in the sixth round, but I'm afraid I will have Pitts ranked as a fourth-rounder when I finish my projections.

I am unavailable for the next 45 minutes, but as soon as I return I will make my selection.

Call this my homer pick.  I had 2 others (Qb's) that I could have lived with but really wanted Love in his second year of expected exponential growth.  He has a ton of young weapons and a great schedule.  

Needed to take a WR here, with only 2.   and I felt there was a significant dropoff after this.   

Calvin Ridley may get decent volume here.  hes a low floor high ceiling guy.

as for the QB I didnt feel good about the type of QB that would be left to me 22 picks from now if I didnt take one now.   thought about taking Dak, but I figure with Zeke returning, some of those TD passes from last year will turn into zeke runs in the red zone and CeeDee is now holding out.  so that adds to the risk here.  so I went with Goff

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

I also believe DJ Moore should be able to thrive here.   

so did the guy who drafted him in round 4 :D

• Haha 1

I will wait to make my 8th round pick until Ray re-picks his 7th rounder.

fixed, sorry guys

Good thing I waited as Ridley would have been my pick at 8.02!

sorry. 

but not that sorry.  you've been sniping my picks a lot this draft.   its fitting I return the favor. 

at WR  my choices were getting limited so the odds of it happening actually were pretty good.

So…..your pick of Ridley made me change course….. Brooks should take over the backfield by mid- year and hopefully I’ll benefit with him as my RB3.

3 minutes ago, robb said:

So…..your pick of Ridley made me change course….. Brooks should take over the backfield by mid- year and hopefully I’ll benefit with him as my RB3.

You can feel free to change your Brooks pick :)

I was relieved to find Singletary still there for me.  He was the last one in my tier and I would not have been thrilled with my other options as my RB2.  

Prescott was not a Homer pick, I promise. Depending on the scoring system, Dak was QB2 or QB3 last year. Not much about his situation has changed this year.  I think he’ll finish better than the tenth QB, which is where I got him.  I almost went another direction, but last year four teams took their back up QB in the 9th. I could not afford to end up on the back end of that as my QB1.

BTW:  Brooks is who I was looking at.   Solid pick.

Pollard completely underwhelmed with his big chance last year, and was moved.  If he couldn't cut it with the 5th rated offense that wanted to run more, I can't imagine how he will perform in the 28th rated offense.  

30 minutes ago, remote controller said:

Pollard completely underwhelmed with his big chance last year, and was moved.  If he couldn't cut it with the 5th rated offense that wanted to run more, I can't imagine how he will perform in the 28th rated offense.  

I think the change of scenery could be a very good thing for Pollard.  Plus he should go into this season completely healthy.

Pollard isn't a guy who is cut out to be a workhorse RB.  He''s not meant for that lead role.

He's much better as the change of pace RB that comes in and gets quality touches when the defense is off balance or worn down.

The Cowboys don't have any interest in having a running game, as they've proven by not trying to get a viable replacement at RB beyond a washed up Zeke.

If the Titans have a good duo at RB with Pollard and Spears, I think you could see some of the best of Tony Pollard this season

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

You can feel free to change your Brooks pick :)

Naw..........Mike says I can't, LOL. Guess you wanted him??

Well...This is an inauspicious start to the day. 🙁

ICEMAN

15 minutes ago, ICEMAN said:

Well...This is an inauspicious start to the day. 🙁

ICEMAN

Agree 

I knew it was coming, but seeing all of those RBs go this round hit me each time.  Then Iceman picked Njoku and I had to regroup.  Ice and WW have it out for me this draft!

Was hoping Rice would last a couple more picks. Looks like NFL is content to let the legal process play out first, so no suspension this season seems likely.

Rice….Daniels…..Sutton….all on my list for my next pick. Good picks here in the 9th round!

guess it’s back to the drawing board for me.

It's hard to envision a scenario in any of my redrafts this year where I pick a QB before round 9. I guess that is my usual strategy but there have been seasons here or there where I have felt someone stood out well above what was left at some other positions. I don't anticipate that being the case this year. 

Was not all that pleased with what was left at RB3 for me to choose from. But I figured that might be the case when I opted to fill my flex with Jayden Reed. Hopefully Zeke's familiarity in Dallas, and the offense around him will allow him to be serviceable for a season.

Mike: You received Hawkeye's 8.07 selection.....do you have his 9.06 pick too? If so, you/he is OTC

16 minutes ago, robb said:

Mike: You received Hawkeye's 8.07 selection.....do you have his 9.06 pick too? If so, you/he is OTC

I do not.

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

It's hard to envision a scenario in any of my redrafts this year where I pick a QB before round 9. I guess that is my usual strategy but there have been seasons here or there where I have felt someone stood out well above what was left at some other positions. I don't anticipate that being the case this year. 

Was not all that pleased with what was left at RB3 for me to choose from. But I figured that might be the case when I opted to fill my flex with Jayden Reed. Hopefully Zeke's familiarity in Dallas, and the offense around him will allow him to be serviceable for a season.

Zeke should score double digit TDs and catch 40+ passes. Those numbers alone should make him serviceable.

Although, I wouldn't expect much more than that

I was not entirely pleased with my WR.   they are ok.   but decided at this point to try to shore up the position with 2 players who could potentially break out at the position.   so I drafted two WR at the turn who I felt had the ability to do that for me.

11 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I was not entirely pleased with my WR.   they are ok.   but decided at this point to try to shore up the position with 2 players who could potentially break out at the position.   so I drafted two WR at the turn who I felt had the ability to do that for me.

I really like the Rashid Shaheed pick.

It's nice to have a guy like that, who can make your week on one play

• Like 1

Ray made my decision easier. Took my QB2 since Hurts could get hurt running the ball as much as he does. And, Purdy gives me a QB/WR stack.

The QB contract given this afternoon(can’t say who) didn’t really impact my decision at all. Did think of a different QB tho.

16 minutes ago, robb said:

Ray made my decision easier. Took my QB2 since Hurts could get hurt running the ball as much as he does. And, Purdy gives me a QB/WR stack.

The QB contract given this afternoon(can’t say who) didn’t really impact my decision at all. Did think of a different QB tho.

I was also considering Purdy at my point in the draft too.  but there are still a lot of QB still available and I decided it was worth the risk to wait.    and given that I'm weaker at WR than I'd like I figured shoring that up had to be the priority for me.

It’s no question my RB room is the hole in my line up so I felt I needed to address it.  Chubb is a high risk, but a very high reward.  Both of my staters have double digit bye weeks, so I should have time to wait for him to get up and running. Obviously, he needs to get up and running but if he can return to form he will certainly pay off at his draft position. 

Although Edwards offers virtually nothing in the passing game, he is set to be the Chargers #1 back. He should get all the early down and goal line work for the Chargers.  At this point in the draft a #1 RB is about as much as I can hope for.

Ralphster: I selected Chase Brown in the last round. You’ll need to re-pick.

1 hour ago, robb said:

Ralphster: I selected Chase Brown in the last round. You’ll need to re-pick.

I deleted his pick and shot him an email.