Vikings4ever

Round Eleven-Sixteen Commentary - July Mock 2024

No thread yet.

Dallas is a hell of an offense, Zeke looks all but done. Maybe Dowdle will be able to do something?

Thanks - I searched the results but didn't realize it only went to round 8. 

I'll pick again

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

No thread yet.

Dallas is a hell of an offense, Zeke looks all but done. Maybe Dowdle will be able to do something?

I like Dowdle as a dart throw. I still think zeke will get every chance to be that veteran #1 based on familiarity but if he looks totally cooked in all facets, Dowdle is intriguing 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I like Dowdle as a dart throw. I still think zeke will get every chance to be that veteran #1 based on familiarity but if he looks totally cooked in all facets, Dowdle is intriguing 

he was on my list of possible high upside late round RB to take for this very reason

I think Herbert is an easy pick here. I get why he has fallen out of QB1 territory, but I think the majority of people forget (or never knew) how good of an athlete he is. I expect Herbert to run more than he ever has and top 400 yards rushing for the first time. Hopefully, he will also become a bigger part of the red zone package and run in a few more this year.

Herbert's on my list of high end QB2s/last ditch option QB1s. But he's below Tua/Caleb/Lawrence for me due to lack of weaponry.

2 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

No thread yet.

He could find a decent role and have some fantasy value, but I think his upside is limited.

He should have had a mini break out year last season but he failed to impress. 

He's in a great situation to succeed, so it's worth a shot.

I was eyeing Herbert or Rodgers and Guru made the choice for me.  Rodgers is old, but he's good.  He's got weapons and an upgraded line.  If he can stay healthy, a top 12 finish is certainly doable (and he's my #2).  Plus, I get to stack him with my first rounder...

I wanted each of the last 3 or 4 QB to go.  kinda choked none of them fell to me here, but I took the Carr consolation prize.    Then Dobbins. a low floor high upside RB4 for me.

Williams, Jets may not be ready right out of the shoot, but possibly towards the end of the season he and Rodgers the Camel Rider can connect!

Coleman is the first Buffalo WR taken here, and that after many think Allen is the #1 QB. He can deliver with his size. I now have Buffalo's #1 TE & WR (I hope).

I will not pretend to understand why Odunze is still available in the 12th round. I understand he may be third in the pecking order for targets, but what if he is considered something more than a deep threat in this offense? Or what is his upside if/when Keenan Allen gets hurt? His upside alone is worth the investment.

Rome was on my list for my next pick. If I hadn't been filling other positions, I might have taken him in the 10th or 11th. But as the third WR on a team that's historically been bad offensively, with a new rookie QB... I can't say he's an absolute steal here.

1 hour ago, remote controller said:

There is no way I can have him as the #1 QB overall.

I completely agree. He is still top five IMO, but he falls behind Hurts and Mahomes at the very least.

Went back and forth a couple of times between Thomas and Odunze.  Odunze is the better talent, but I think Thomas will have more opportunity so I went that route.  With Ridley and Flowers out of Jacksonville that leaves a lot of targets up for grabs and, while Gabe Davis will absorb some of them, I think Thomas will get is fair share. In any case, I think he's got high upside which is what I'm looking for at this point in the draft.

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

I will not pretend to understand why Odunze is still available in the 12th round. I understand he may be third in the pecking order for targets, but what if he is considered something more than a deep threat in this offense? Or what is his upside if/when Keenan Allen gets hurt? His upside alone is worth the investment.

potentially 4th behind Moore Allen and Kmet.  Always the risk of an Allen injury, but even so... will Caleb be up to the task. 

I'm not surprised he's going around this point in drafts.

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

potentially 4th behind Moore Allen and Kmet.  Always the risk of an Allen injury, but even so... will Caleb be up to the task. 

I'm not surprised he's going around this point in drafts.

I am firmly in the camp that Odunze is the clear No. 3. I completely disagree Kmet is a major consideration. I expect him to split time with Everett (not that I agree with that, just that I expect Waldron to lean that way).

Orignally had  Josh Palmer in mind for round 12 before I saw he was picked in round 9.  I think Jeudy is a tolerable WR5 in a new environment. The $ leads me to believe he will be option 2 and part of the reason I am down on Njoku this year is that he seemed to do most of his damage with Flacco under center. 

Ty Chandler... meh. At this point, I am just happy he doesn't share a bye week with any of my other 3 backs. Aaron Jones is one of my favorites but he isn't getting any younger and Chandler was solid when given the chance last season. 

I had Jeudy, Dobbs, Thielen, and Chandler on my list for my 13. Miller... eh. Not sure high on him, but he was the best value. And given that we can start 3 RBs, I felt a 5th wasn't a bad investment.

I had Chandler and Miller a top of my draft list for 13……nice value guys this late! Your gain is my loss. I believe Miller will have the job my mid-season.

This draft sure seams like it is taking a long time, unfortunate. But, guess we shall carry on.

yes, slower than past years.   but thats dumb luck.   there actually were more cases in past years where they took more than 2 hours and we had to call/email them.   this year I think more people took the full 2 hours

and like, 2 picks all weekend! I know there was no requirement to select on the weekend but I guess folks were busy then.

21 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yes, slower than past years.   but thats dumb luck.   there actually were more cases in past years where they took more than 2 hours and we had to call/email them.   this year I think more people took the full 2 hours

We're also getting fewer after hours picks. I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but every morning we start off with ralphster's even round pick, and go until his next even round pick.

i dont expect weekend picks, just because my phone is always on me and I check in a few times a day doesn't mean other people should. I checked in a bunch on Saturday when I got back from Jets training camp but not so much Sunday. Was happy to see it wasn't waiting on me when I looked Sunday evening 

In the grand scheme of things, we started on 7/22 and will likely be done on 7/31.  8 business days seems reasonable. 

yeah, but after hours picks and weekend picks are not a requirement.  we cant come down on people for that.

and in past years we would have been done by now it just wasnt meant to be.   I'm now on holidays so when it looks like I wont be around for a pick I'll be emailing a list in.   luckily we are near the end so no big deal.

For comparisons sake, last year we started on the 24th and the first pick of the thirteenth round was on the 31st.  This year we started on the 22nd and the first pick of the thirteenth round was today, the 30th.  So last year it took 8 days, this year 9.  Although this feels like a glacial pace, we're only a day off last year.

If we can get round 14 done today, I know...doubtful, we'd be on the same pace as last year.

I'm working 68 hrs a week right now.  When I get home - usually around 8pm -  I turn my phone off and spend what little time I have w the fam. 

34 minutes ago, ralphster said:

I'm working 68 hrs a week right now.  When I get home - usually around 8pm -  I turn my phone off and spend what little time I have w the fam. 

That is a long week.  surprised you arent just going home and passing out haha.

Drafting on the turn I grabbed the NY Jets D.   I think they were the 4th or 5th ranked D last year and couldnt get off the field due to an inept offense.  I think with an offense that moves the ball they will get late game turnovers from teams desperate to come back.   I think there is the possibility this could be one of the top 2 or 3 defenses this year.

my other pick Wicks is a guy I feel has a very high ceiling.  There is the chance he breaks out next year instead of this year but I am excited about the potential of this guy and happy to use a pick at this point in the draft on him.   

I started the small run on defenses with the Cowboys...

D/ST are always a bit of a crap shoot, but I think the Cowboys have the best fantasy D potentially....

Micah Parsons is among the best pass rushers and overall defensive players. Plus they have guys like DeMarcus Lawrence and some other guys who can apply a decent pass rush.

Trevon Diggs and Baron Bland are perhaps the two best ball hawk CBs in the NFL They have 32 picks and 7 returned for TDs combined in their short careers.

Plus the Cowboys tend to make some plays on special teams too.

I'm sure there will be games where they're awful as a whole, but they should put in some big performances as well.

I had Chuba all teed up and ready to go, only to have remote cut my legs out from under me.  I pivoted to Jaleel.  The Denver backfield is a mess, but Jaleel's "metrics" are far better than any of his competition and he looked good in limited use last year and supposedly looks good in camp so far.  I think he gets usage at the worst and takes the #1 spot in Denver in the best case scenario.  

Hunter Henry excites no one, but at this point in the draft none of the TE's do.  He's solid and put up decent numbers last year while battling through injuries.  Healthy this year, with what should be better QB play and a questionable WR core to compete with, I think he'll put up solid TE2 numbers and, if I'm lucky, can flirt with TE1.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Landry said:

Hunter Henry excites no one, but at this point in the draft none of the TE's do.  He's solid and put up decent numbers last year while battling through injuries.  Healthy this year, with what should be better QB play and a questionable WR core to compete with, I think he'll put up solid TE2 numbers and, if I'm lucky, can flirt with TE1.

He's not gonna put Travis Kelce numbers anything, but Hunter Henry seems to have a tendency to find the end zone...

In a back up TE, that's what you want.

If you have to play him, hope it's a week he catches a TD

2 hours ago, Mr. Landry said:

I pivoted to Jaleel.  The Denver backfield is a mess, but Jaleel's "metrics" are far better than any of his competition and he looked good in limited use last year and supposedly looks good in camp so far. 

well, I think its between him and Javonte for the starting Job in Denver.    either you believe in one or you believe in the other.   If I had drafted Javonte I'd be real excited to get this guy as well just simply because you know one of these guys is likely to be the starter.   but as a late round dart throw I dont mind this guy.  at least the upside is there.

• Like 1

I'm real sorry.  I even had a 3 man list ready after I picked at about 3:30 yesterday, knowing it was my short corner. Then it got busy.  We had our City picnic yesterday and I help flip the burgers.  They asked me to help transport all the food and drinks to the swimming pool, then we started up the grill.  I remembered at about 5:30 and figured I'd pick when I got home around 8:00.  Did I mention it was 105 degrees.  I didn't have a heat stroke but I almost went down.  Luckily Fire/EMS was at the picnic too.  They took care of me, hydrated me, and got me and my car home.  I don't really remember much.  It was an interesting night, but sorry I didn't get my list off before they enlisted my services.

I went with the WR on my list from the best offense, and Bateman is a clear #2 WR after Flowers, though I realize there is a certain TE there also.  My other two choices also have fine TE's but sketchier offenses this year in my opinion.  One other WR was considered but I had his team mate already on board.