Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

July Mock Analysis

Just a few more picks to go, and I will also try to identify my favorite / least favorite squads and picks.

QB: Jayden Daniels, Kirk Cousins - It's not the Daniels/Tua combo I was hoping for but it is probably a bit more balanced in terms of safety and upside. I am happy with it.

RB: Breece Hall, Alvin Kamara, Ezekiel Elliot, Ty Chandler - Very happy with the 1-2 punch, not thrilled they share a bye week. I do think Zeke will be serviceable this season. Would like more depth here but that's what happens when you go RB in round 1 and then shift your overall attention the receiver

WR: Drake London, Michael Pittman, Malik Nabers, Jayden Reed, Jerry Judy - Pretty happy with this group overall. London gets a Qb upgrade, I think Pittman will be fed, Nabers was an upside play and has every reason to be a target monster in NY given the lack of other viable weapons around him. Reed is someone I have been high on and expect will lead the WR trio in Green Bay. I feel I got him at a slight discount compared to the June Mock. Jeudy is fine depth.

TE: Evan Engram, Cole Kmet - Engram is someone I am warming up to as the process moves along, especially in PPR. I am pretty happy with him once Kelce/LaPorta/Andrews/McBride are off the board. Despite the arrivals of Allen and Odunze in chicago, I still believe Kmet will have a nice security blanket role.

Pretty happy with the potential upside of this team with the following lineup

Daniels
Cousins
----------------
Hall
Kamara
Elliot
Chandler
----------------
London
Pittman
Nabers
Jeudy
Shakir
----------------
Reed (flx)
---------------
Engram
Kmet
----------------

----------------

I like that QB stack there.

Daniels has the potential to set the NFL on fire, and if not, Cousins, on a new team is an excellent insurance policy

I like cousins a lot in this offense.   the only question is the injury.   but hes not a running QB so I think as long as he can move within the pocket and it doesnt affect his throwing motion he will be just fine.

I wanted him but because I was drafting on the end, I was robbed of the opportunity to get him because of the way the draft fell.

I do like the cousins pick though.

QB: CJ Stroud, Tua Tagovailoa - 7th was earlier than I wanted to take a QB, but I couldn't resist Stroud falling. Tua makes a hell of a backup.

RB: Bijan Robinson, Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris, Rico Dowdle, Keandre Miller - Not bad at all. Top end RB1, good RB2 and 3. Dowdle is a nice dart throw at RB4.

WR: Chris Olave, Zay Flowers, Christian Watson, Courtland Sutton, Jahan Dotson, Darnell Mooney - The weakness of my team. Olave doesn't feel much different the next half dozen WRs that went. Flowers I'm happy with, Watson starting for me I'm not. Sutton I like as a WR4, Dotson's fine as a WR5. ETA: Mooney's in a good place to maybe see a resurgence.

TE: Mark Andrews, Dalton Schultz - Solid. Andrews should return to form, Schultz is a good TE2 for bye/injury purposes.

All in all, not a team I'm really thrilled with. But it's also not a team I absolutely hate. Feels real middle of the pack, relying on Sutton at WR3 week to week while praying for an emergence from Watson.

If I had to do it again, maybe I would have changed my 6-9 from Harris/Stroud/Watson/Sutton to Hollywood Brown/Montgomery/Rice/Murray.

QB - Love, Lawrence - Both have great schedules and great talent.  Very happy with this pair.

RB - Mixon, Stevenson, Spears, Allgeier, Hubbard -  Very Mixon dependent.  This is my teams weakness.  I'm happy with Stevenson, but my final 3 RB's need opportunity and then need to succeed when called upon.

WR - Chase, Nacua, Moore, McLaurin, Bateman, Robinson - This a powerful group representing some high powered offenses.  Amazed that I got my first 4 on the same team. 

TE - Goedert, Freiermuth - Both very solid TE's in good situations.

It was a very tough draft position for trying to acquire and yet not reach for running backs.  It's likely why the Wr's are stellar.  

QB - Mahommes, Stafford - Betting on a bounce back from Mahommes this year.  I missed the second QB run and settled for Stafford, who should be serviceable as a backup.

RB - Etienne, Warren, Williams, Lloyd, Herbert - Not much depth.  Semi happy with this group in PPR.  Much will depend on Williams not losing his job. 

WR - AJ Brown, Godwin, Allen, JSN, C Samuel, T Franklin - Feel this group is solid if not flashy.  Was surprised Franklin fell to me - I've got a lot of shares of him in rookie drafts this year.

TE - Laporta, Musgrave - Very happy with this combo.

D/ST - Bears.  Homer pick, but I think they're flying under the radar a little bit this year.

QB:  Dak Prescott, Aaron Rodgers:  Comfortable with these two.  The league doesn't carry into the playoffs, so Dak should put up solid QB numbers (certainly better than QB10, which is where I got him).  Rodgers is getting up there in age, but when healthy he still has the talent to put up starter numbers.

RB:  Jonathan Taylor, Devin Singletary, Nick Chubb, Gus Edwards and Jaleel McLaughlin:  I picked right after remote and as he mentioned, it was a tough place to gather running backs without over paying.  Which is why this is the hole in my line up.  I clearly went hero running back as I was the only team going into the seventh round with one RB.  I'm thrilled with Taylor and think he can easily finish ahead of three or four of the guys taken in front of him.  My #2 is iffy.  I'm higher on Singletary than a lot of people, but will admit he is not in a good offense.  If Nick Chubb can return to form, sooner rather than later, I think I'll be fine.  Edwards and McLaughlin are dart throws that have the potential to pay off.

WR:  Garret Wilson, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf, Dionte Johnson, Brian Thomas, Michael Wilson:   I believe this is the strength of my line up.  I think the first four are sure-fire starters and both M Wilson and Thomas have high upside.

TE:  Kyle Pitts, Hunter Henry:  I expect a bounce back from Pitts now that he's out from under the thumb of Arthur Smith (who had no idea what he was doing) and should have much better QB play with Cousins.  I believe he'll look a lot like rookie Pitts than the last two years.  Hunter Henry is solid, if unspectacular.  He'll put up serviceable numbers most weeks and have a few peak outings.

D/ST:  Miami Dolphins:  They were a top five defense last year, are usually about the 7th Defense off the board this year and are ranked in the top ten most places I looked.  What do I know about defenses?

QB: Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson - Happy with Lamar, but my RB/WR depth suffered because of it.  Watson is not exciting, but hopefully won't need to rely on him.

RB: James Cook, Kenneth Walker, Jerome Ford, Blake Corum, Dameon Pierce - Not super jazzed overall, I was ready to pick Rachaad White in the 2nd round but Ice sniped me (the first of many).  I need Cook to head back towards the mean on TD's, and Chubb to take a while to return.  Corum and Pierce are all dependent on injuries to the starting RB's, but could be the feature back if that occurs.  Happy with Walker as my RB2.

WR: Tyreek Hill, Brandon Aiyuk, Marquise Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Romeo Doubs, Tyler Boyd - Really comes down to Aiyuk returning.  As a 49er fan I was confident he would not miss any games, and I still don't think he actually will, but I'm starting to get nervous.  Marquise and DeAndre are not flashy picks, Doubs is a fine WR5, and Boyd is Hopkins insurance.

TE: Brock Bowers, T.J. Hockenson - All about upside here.  Best case scenario is Brock can produce consistently and Hock comes back and can be used as a Flex.  Worst case scenario is a very low floor, so we'll see what happens.

Overall I am less happy with this draft than the June one.  Felt like I was at the back end of some runs, and ICEMAN and WW seemed to have a bead on who I was ready to pick so I had to scramble a few times.

First of all, thanks for having me! It's been fun participating in this mock draft, would love to do more in the future if needed

My team

QB- Anthony Richardson IND, Will Levis TN.  I got the QB I wanted here in Anthony Richardson. If he's healthy, I think he will be a top 5 fantasy QB.  Will Levis is a bit of a wild card here for a back up. He has what could be an elite offense if he just steps up and does his part. Overall, QB could be my make or break position. If Anthony Richardson is injured again, and Levis sucks, could be a long season...

RB- Christian McCaffrey SF,  Tony Pollard TN,  Raheem Mostert MIA, Antonio Gibson NE, Elijah Mitchell SF.   CMC is obviously the prize piece of this RB group and team overall. it came down to him and Tyreek Hill for the top pick. I picked CMC because of how bad the RB position is overall. CMC is in a class by himself at RB. After him, I figure Pollard and Mostert are two capable candidates to battle it out for the 2nd RB and flex spots in my line up each week. Gibson is a depth pick. Mitchell is a hand cuff.  Overall, this a strong group of RBs.

WR- Mike Evans TB,  Nico Collins HOU,  Amari Cooper CLV,  Jordan Addison MN,  Tyler Lockett SEA,  Ja'Lynn Polk NE.     My top 3 WRs may lack an elite talent but they all fall into the low end WR1/ Solid WR2 range. That makes a solid if not exciting trio of starters. Jordan Addison should make a strong first guy off the bench. Tyler Lockett is a solid last at the end of the bench. Ja'Lynn Polk, I took a sleeper pick on him. He's gonna be their top WR at some point in the future. With the competition he has, It may not take long.

TE- Jake Ferguson DAL,  Taysom Hill NO.   Jake Ferguson, I don't expect him to be up there with Kelce, LaPorta, Andrews, etc. but he's in a good role on one of the best offenses in the NFL. He should catch 4-5 passes for 40-50 yards each week, with about 6-8 TDs sprinkled in. The games he scores a TD he's great, the others he should be serviceable. Taysom Hill, last pick of the draft is a great pick IMO. You never know what you may get week to week with him. He may play QB for a drive and throw a TD, or get 3 rushing TDs from inside the 5, of catch a 50 yard TD. Fun guy to have on my team.

D/ST-  Cowboys.   The Cowboys have an elite fantasy defense, or at least should have one this season. They have one of the best pass rushers in the game, Micah Parsons, as well as others who can get to the QB. In the secondary, they have perhaps the two best ball hawk CBs in the NFL, in Diggs and Bland. I think it's 32 ints, and 7 returned for a TD between the two of them in about 6 seasons combined. The special teams are pretty good and should add a reasonable amount of points to the mix.

hey guys, sorry for getting my commentary on my own picks so late.

my  team

QB

8.01  Goff- Lions

11.12-Carr-Saints

15.12-Bryce Young

I tried to go late on the QB this time around.    Happy to snag Young so late.  The team has invested in the line and brought in another weapon at WR.   If the line is truly improved, I expect he will take a step forward in his development.   Possibly to a point where he may be fantasy relevant.    Goff is solid for where I took him and Carr is a fine backup.

RB

1.12 Henry-BAL

2.01 Barkley-PHI

6.01 Swift-DET-

12.01 Dobbins -LAC

I wasnt  planning on going hard on RB early, but my hand was forced.   WR went more than RB early.  so much so that I felt there were not any WR I really liked at the turn.   I'd rather jump in to start a run at a position than join in at the end of one, so I went where the value was.   Barkley and Henry were (to me at least) the Best RB on the board at the time.   Henry was a bit of a reach, but I wasnt gonna pick again for like 22 picks so I didnt want to presume a good RB would come back to me at the end of round 3.   this is one of the pitfalls of picking on the end.  if you want your guy, you sometimes have to reach.   and Reach I did, but I feel like I have one of the better 1-2 punches at RB this year in the Mock.   also happy to get Swift as my #3.  I'm excited about the Bears offense for the first time..... well.... maybe ever.    I think Swift could be a big part of that.   Dobbins is a fine RB4.  upside is there if he stays healthy.

WR

3.12 Pickens-PIT

4.01 Waddle-MIA

7.12 Ridley-TEN

9.12 Palmer-LAC

10.01 Shaheed-NO

14.01 Wicks-GB

Mixed bag here.   the price you pay for not drafting a WR early.    Pickens provides reasonable upside.  I'm hoping the improvement at QB will allow him to take another step forward.  good potential upside here

Waddle-in my mind one of the best really good WR left on the board.  I was happy to get him at 4.01

Ridley-1000 yard WR moved to Tennessee.  Hoping he has shaken off the rust.

Palmer and shaheed are both high upside mid to later round picks.  Hoping one of them breaks out to make this average WR group above average

Wicks is a late round flyer.    PFF had him as the WR who gets open the most often in the NFL.   those metrics tell me this is a possible breakout candidate, and at this price I'll take a shot.

TE

5.12 Kittle

Really happy to get Kittle here.   full value for a 1000 yard TE.

unhappy with myself for not getting a backup TE given the amount kittle has been hurt in his career.    Hopefully this doesnt bite me in the arse. (it probably will)

D/ST

13.12 Jets

16.01Eagles

I think the Jets may be the best Defense in the NFL this year.  with an offense that can actually stay on the field and not turn the ball over a ton, this defense will not be tired late in games and will not give up points that are really the fault of the offense for turning the ball over.    it was one of the top defenses on a bad team last year, but with a solid offense, they could rise to the top.     really happy to get them

Eagles are ok.   really wanted the bears here.  probably should have taken that backup TE I spoke of earlier for this spot.   my bad.

overall I give myself a B minus.

happy with the RB.   need some WR to step up to make this a super competitive team.   QB are decent but not outstanding  TE and D/ST are top notch.

in a redraft league this is a low end playoff team but not a championship team.   Not without some breakouts.   I did do a fair job of taking players with upside so it can happen.  I'm just not counting on it.