Sign in to follow this  
edjr

how many CDs can you buy with 136 million?

4 years, 136 million/100 guaranteed 

cowboys doing cowboys things

Name some top paid WRs that won a super bowl?

They're free from AOL (or was that DVDs?)

I don't really care, as long as they can keep Micah Parsons and a legitimate QB of some sort. 

It's not my money.

If I were an NFL GM I’d be absolutely ruthless about these things.  It’s true sometimes dudes play up to the pay, but stuff like this seldom pays off with a title.

Besides winning a title, there's a risk of not signing him and going 2 and 15.

what kind of parents name their son Cvm Dump anyway?

4 hours ago, edjr said:

Jerry Rice.  Michael Irvin. Isaac Bruce.  Marvin Harrison. 

42 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Even reading the words “Isaac Bruce” results in a pulled hamstring.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, edjr said:

what kind of parents name their son Cvm Dump anyway?

Well, your parents may not have named you that, but to their dismay, that's what you turned out to be. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Besides winning a title, there's a risk of not signing him and going 2 and 15.

Exactly. The Cowboys are a Top 10 NFL team. They let CeeDee walk and their ceiling is what? 9 wins and an imminent full on rebuild? 

13 minutes ago, MDC said:

Exactly. The Cowboys are a Top 10 NFL team. They let CeeDee walk and their ceiling is what? 9 wins and an imminent full on rebuild? 

1 WR makes an NFL team :lol:  put the pipe down 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

1 WR makes an NFL team :lol:  put the pipe down 

No, but this particular WR is by far the Cowboys best weapon on O. Take him away and opposing defenses need to worry about who? Jake Ferguson and Zeke? Without CeeDee they have zero shot at a SB. 

Lamb is 25 years old and among the best wideouts in football. You don’t just let those players walk.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’ll notice the last was 15 years ago when WR’s were making a pittance.

not one of those took up over 10% of the cap either.  Try again!

1 minute ago, MDC said:

No, but this particular WR is by far the Cowboys best weapon on O. Take him away and opposing defenses need to worry about who? Jake Ferguson and Zeke? Without CeeDee they have zero shot at a SB. 

Lamb is 25 years old and among the best wideouts in football. You don’t just let those players walk.

you don’t pay a WR that kind of money and win the super bowl. doesn’t happen 

Just now, edjr said:

With CeeDee, the Cowboys have a path to a SB. Without him, they’re a middling team with no shot. You think a Top 10 team should let their best offensive player walk and do what exactly? Pay Dak? Blow it up?

I hate the Cowboys and your dumb thread is making me defend this move. :doh: 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

With CeeDee, the Cowboys have a path to a SB. Without him, they’re a middling team with no shot. You think a Top 10 team should let their best offensive player walk and do what exactly? Pay Dak? Blow it up?

did the cowboys have CD lamb in the playoffs last year?  now they are paying him double that :doh:

Just now, edjr said:

did the cowboys have CD lamb in the playoffs last year?  now they are paying him double that :doh:

You think letting him walk would be a better move? Because that was the other option.

1 hour ago, edjr said:

You’ll notice the last was 15 years ago when WR’s were making a pittance.

not one of those took up over 10% of the cap either.  Try again!

You said top paid.  Mike Evans. Demaryous Thomas. Tyreek Hill.  

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Plaxico. Alshon Jeffrey. 

40 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You said top paid.  Mike Evans. Demaryous Thomas. Tyreek Hill.  

none of them were the top.  keep trying 

Just now, edjr said:

none of them were the top.  keep trying 

Alshon Jeffery was the highest paid player on the eagles in 2017. Every wr I mentioned were at or near the top spot at the position the year their team won. Let it go. You lost. 

8 hours ago, edjr said:

Juju

Cowboys are goofs.  Now they will pay a QB who is proven to not be able to get it done.  They are running it back with less of a team than the one last year that got down 27-0 vs GB athome in thr WC round.  

Spin them wheels.  

Im not suggesting letting Ceedee walk.  But they should let Dak walk and try something different.  Paying a top WR means you arent starting over at QB anytime soon.  Running it back with the same guys for next several years.  With a lesser overall roster going forward.  

9 hours ago, MDC said:

With Dak they do not have a path to the SB.

8 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Alshon Jeffery was the highest paid player on the eagles in 2017. Every wr I mentioned were at or near the top spot at the position the year their team won. Let it go. You lost. 

Highest paid on the eagles. :o      KJ Osborn is the highest paid WR on the Patriots. Super Bowl here we come!! :overhead: 

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

With Dak they do not have a path to the SB.

I disagree. But even if the Cowboys don’t think they’re competing for a title, letting a 25 y/o Top 3 receiver walk would be stupid. 

I agree with you on not paying Dak though.

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

I disagree. But even if the Cowboys don’t think they’re competing for a title, letting a 25 y/o Top 3 receiver walk would be stupid. 

I mean you can say they do because hes capable.  But hes proven to not be a winner.  I am not saying let Ceedee walk.  But a CD contract means you are keeping thr band together.  

Im far from a Baker Mayfield fanboy.  But go look whay he did last year.  Pounded thr Eagles.  Thrn had TB tied with thr Lions in Detroit heading into the 4th Q.  

The Cowboys were down 27-0 at home vs the youngest team to make thr playoffs since the league moved off of 14 game seasons.  

Put Baker on the Cowboys last year and they do better in that game. 

Dak is Dak.  If the goal is early exits from the playoffs then keep spinnin those wheels.  He can get you there.  

Im not saying dont pay Ceedee.  But thr whole reason you pay a QB top dollar is the elevate the offense.  You can sit and throw top WR money at a guy then top QB money at a guy.  Its a misuse of money.   People are too stuck on fantasy football to understand this.  

Few ways to skin a cat.  But paying a maxed out wildcard QB top dollar and thinking pairing him with the highest paid WR will result in good rosters and a chance to win a SB are sorely mistaken.  

The Dolphins have 2 excellent WRs.  Reek is the biggest weapon in all of thr game.  They scored 7 points last year at KC.  (I know it was cold, it gets cold in January if you are planning to play games in January)

Don’t pay Wide Receivers

https://medium.com/@znels18/dont-pay-wide-receivers-ba0ac6520c57

Now that the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl after trading away arguably the best Wide Receiver in football, I can finally shout this from the heavens:

If you want to win Super Bowls, don’t pay Wide Receivers

Being distraught after my beloved Green Bay Packers traded away Davante Adams in the spring of 2022, I was on a mission to find out what went wrong. How is it that, after almost a decade of Hall-of-Fame-level Quarterback talent and Hall-of-Fame-level Wide Receiver talent, that Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams NEVER won a Super Bowl together?

The answer lies in the context of the salary cap.

Whether it’s the media or an average fan, most people think that wide receivers are incredibly important to an offense’s success. I certainly did until about a year ago. They see the exciting plays and the stats that they rack up for their fantasy football team, and it perpetuates this narrative that a quarterback needs “weapons” to be successful. While the talent at your receiver position isn’t as “unimportant” as the running back position, you absolutely do not need an elite wide receiver to have a good offense.

I know it goes completely against conventional wisdom, but if one of your receivers turns into a stud who will command too much money when his contract is up, it is in your best interest to trade him and get as much value as possible. Paying someone ~$30m/year comes at a cost to the rest of your roster, and his contract will ultimately hold the team back if you also have a QB on a high salary. GMs should continuously stockpile and develop young/cheap wide receiver talent in order to have a continuous conveyer belt of guys on lower salaries who can go out there and effectively play the wide receiver position until they become too expensive. Fill any holes with reliable veteran receivers on value contracts, and your offense won’t skip a beat.

It’s an incredibly difficult and unpopular decision to make, but this is without a doubt the best way to save money and differentiate yourself from the rest of the league, because wide receivers are currently the third highest-paid position in football. Fans and the media will rip you for it because they don’t know any better, but they’ll shut up pretty quickly if you keep winning games. And that’s exactly what the Chiefs did in 2022.

Given the WR talent we’ve seen in the NFL recently, it’s interesting to note that most of the “elite” WRs of the 21st century do not have a ring — and if they do, they were either still on their rookie deal, or a smaller/vet min contract later in their careers. For example, Odell Beckham Jr, Antonio Brown, and Anquan Boldin got a ring on a vet minimum deal. Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, and Chris Godwin were on their rookie deals when they won their rings.

History clearly shows that you’re not going to win Championships if you have a quarterback and a wide receiver on a big contract. No QB and WR duo that were both making a lot of money in the same season have won a Super Bowl together since the salary cap was introduced. In fact, no quarterback making more than 12.5% of the team’s salary cap has EVER won a Super Bowl, and a big reason for that is most QBs on high salaries are paired with WRs on high salaries, because conventional wisdom tells you that the quarterback needs a premier receiver to be successful. But there is no correlation between WR spending and success in the NFL.

Tight ends on the other hand, are incredibly valuable. Not only can they be a huge receiving threat, but they also contribute to the blocking scheme and are way cheaper than WRs. The AAV of top-end tight ends are nearly HALF of the AAV of top-end receivers. In 2022, TWENTY FOUR Wide Receivers had a contract with a higher AAV than Travis Kelce. Having a quality TE allows you to control the middle of the field, and it really helps to have a massive body as a target in short-yardage situations, especially around the goal line. You don’t need to spend a high pick to get one either. Basically all of the top-tier tight ends in the NFL were taken outside the 1st round.
This whole theory all comes down to positional value. Paying a skill-position player a lot of money comes at the expense of the rest of your roster. Is an elite WR more valuable than a “good-but-not-great” linebacker, #2 corner, and a guard? Individually, absolutely. But together? Absolutely not. Paying 3 good players making $10m at “less valuable positions” is much more beneficial to your team overall than paying 1 WR $30m.

The 2022 season is a perfect example of this, as many teams with a higher-paid QB had to make a decision on their elite WRs. Some of them were traded, while others stayed. Let’s see how that turned out:

The teams with higher-paid QBs that decided to pay a star WR are: the Rams, Bucs, Browns, and Raiders. The Rams and Bucs both had to skimp out on offensive line to pay Cooper Kupp and Chris Godwin, and neither of them could generate any offense. They finished 27th and 25th in offense, respectively. The Browns and Raiders went all-in and gave Amari Cooper and Davante Adams huge contracts, but had to skimp out on defense as a result. They finished 20th and 26th in defense, respectively.

The teams with good QBs that decided not to pay a star WR are: the Chiefs, Cowboys, and Packers. The Chiefs finished with the best offense in football and WON THE SUPER BOWL. The Cowboys finished with the 3rd-best offense in football. The Packers were the only one I was wrong on (f*** me, right?), but their struggles were far more than just Davante Adams’ departure.

It’s pretty clear that if you have a QB on a high salary, investing in an expensive receiver is not a smart idea. Obviously the Bills, Eagles, and Dolphins are benefitting from acquiring Stefon Diggs, AJ Brown, and Tyreek Hill right now, but all three of their quarterbacks are still on their rookie deals. If you have a quarterback playing well on his rookie deal, you’ll have enough cap space to essentially build your team however you want. These teams will look a lot different once those quarterbacks sign their extensions and they have to make sacrifices in other areas.

For Packers fans like myself, this comes as a warning message. This is precisely how we had three decades of Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers and only came away with 2 Super Bowls. Once they started making significant money, skill position players were always prioritized over things like defense and offensive line, and through my research, I’ve found that those two things are much more important to a quarterback’s success than anything. That, combined with great coaching is exactly why Tom Brady got 6 rings with the Patriots. They had a phenomenal coaching staff, invested in their defense and o-line, always had a good tight end, always had good special teams, and never paid receivers or running backs.

You don’t need to be perfect to reach the Super Bowl, you just have to be better than 15 other teams, and this strategy puts you in the best position to do that year after year.

:overhead:

22 minutes ago, MDC said:

Guess I am confused with your position.  You say you disagree with me saying they have no path with Dak.  Yet say you agree on not paying him.  

Well if you believe you have a chance to win a SB ....you should pay him.  

He has proven otherwise thus far on very good rosters.  

Packers have one of the better WR corps as a group in the league.  Ill say top 10.  Yet they are thr cheapest group in league and possibly by a wide margin. No one will get massive stats, thus not commanding a record contract.  If one does play hardball and wants more than hes worth, they let him walk.  As they have 2 or 3 other guys along with TEs who can shoulder the load.  And will keep drafting them.  

As much as I love Adams.  Ill take the current group of 4 good WRs with differnt skillsets.....over Adams, Lazard, and MVS.  But hey Adams scores fantasy stats!   

Cheaper.  Better.  

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

Im with Ed on this one.  Mainly when you have one of the highest paid QBs to pay along with said WR.  I know people see top QB and top WR and think "oh shlt whos gonna stop these guys!".  Yet they get stopped each year.  But fantasy football!!!

19 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im with Ed on this one.  Mainly when you have one of the highest paid QBs to pay along with said WR.  I know people see top QB and top WR and think "oh shlt whos gonna stop these guys!".  Yet they get stopped each year.  But fantasy football!!!

Exactly. Fantasy football is not real football. Again, how did the 'boys do last year in the playoffs with Dak and CD? Jerruh Jones is so far past the prime he never had. 

A great QB makes his WR's better. Doesn't need to break the bank for WRs. brady/maholmes. Dak isn't one of them

16 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Guess I am confused with your position.  You say you disagree with me saying they have no path with Dak.  Yet say you agree on not paying him.  

Well if you believe you have a chance to win a SB ....you should pay him.  

He has proven otherwise thus far on very good rosters.  

I think Dallas has a path to a SB championship this year, yes. They’re a Top 10 NFL team at worst and SF is the only NFC team you can definitely say is better than the Cowboys.

Dak’s contract is up after this season and he’ll be 32. If I were the GM and Dallas has another bad playoff exit this season, I’d let him walk. Pay the young stars like CeeDee and Parsons and go from there. 

You can have a path this season and also not want to lock up a 32-y/o QB long term at $50-60m per.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

I think Dallas has a path to a SB championship this year, yes. They’re a Top 10 NFL team at worst and SF is the only NFC team you can definitely say is better than the Cowboys.

Dak’s contract is up after this season and he’ll be 32. If I were the GM and Dallas has another bad playoff exit this season, I’d let him walk. Pay the young stars like CeeDee and Parsons and go from there. 

You can have a path this season and also not want to lock up a 32-y/o QB long term at $50-60m per.

Dak Prescott has won two playoff games, losing five others. He appeared in playoffs in 2017 (NFC Divisional), 2019 (NFC Wild Card and NFC Divisional), and 2023 (NFC Wild Card and NFC Divisional), He emerged victorious in the NFC Wild Card tournament in 2019 and the NFC Divisional tournament in 2023 

:(   Maybe next time you go to Dallas to see a game you cam talk some sense into Jerruh. 

Why did the cowboys wait to sign CD if they absolutely needed him? Did they think the price was going down? :wacko: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

:(   Maybe next time you go to Dallas to see a game you cam talk some sense into Jerruh. 

Why did the cowboys wait to sign CD if they absolutely needed him? Did they think the price was going down? :wacko: 

You first Ed: Should the Cowboys have let CeeDee walk instead? You still haven’t answered. 🤔 

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

You first Ed: Should the Cowboys have let CeeDee walk instead? You still haven’t answered. 🤔 

Walk where? Did he not already have a contract?

11 minutes ago, edjr said:

Walk where? Did he not already have a contract?

So you think they shouldn’t have extended him?