Sign in to follow this  
edjr

how many CDs can you buy with 136 million?

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'm struggling to remember the last physical CD I bought. :dunno:

Back in the early 90s, when I was poor and homeless, I brought CDs to this store in Salem MA to sell them for like 3 and 4 bucks. 

13 minutes ago, MDC said:

So you think they shouldn’t have extended him?

No. I don't believe paying a WR that money is a good idea. 

Lets just pretend I think they should have extended him. Why didn't they? Were they playing hardball? It rarely works. I don't think doing it a week before the season started was prudent.  

I realize they were in a no-win situation. But it is the cowboys, no matter what they do, it is no-win. 

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

No. I don't believe paying a WR that money is a good idea. 

Lets just pretend I think they should have extended him. Why didn't they? Were they playing hardball? It rarely works. I don't think doing it a week before the season started was prudent.  

I realize they were in a no-win situation. But it is the cowboys, no matter what they do, it is no-win. 

Jerry isn’t a bad evaluator of talent IMO but he has a reputation for playing hardball with the wrong players and it bites him in the ass. He’s the guy who extended Zeke Elliot before the QB. 

I can take issue with the negotiations but I’m not going to fault them for re-upping their one elite offensive player.

18 minutes ago, MDC said:

Jerry isn’t a bad evaluator of talent IMO but he has a reputation for playing hardball with the wrong players and it bites him in the ass. He’s the guy who extended Zeke Elliot before the QB. 

I can take issue with the negotiations but I’m not going to fault them for re-upping their one elite offensive player.

I think that is the point, you can’t win a Super Bowl with your one elite offensive player being a wide receiver.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I think Dallas has a path to a SB championship this year, yes. They’re a Top 10 NFL team at worst and SF is the only NFC team you can definitely say is better than the Cowboys.

Dak’s contract is up after this season and he’ll be 32. If I were the GM and Dallas has another bad playoff exit this season, I’d let him walk. Pay the young stars like CeeDee and Parsons and go from there. 

You can have a path this season and also not want to lock up a 32-y/o QB long term at $50-60m per.

I get it.  When a team routinely has good regular seasons its hard to change.  But you are settling for it.  Theyve had one of the more talented rosters over the years.   Whether it is CD and other solid WRs.  Or thr great OL they had for years.  Or the defense that was chalked full of talent.   And its not enough.   So now you pay a QB and a WR new contracts to run it back with rosters that will be even harder to fill out to the degree they have had.  

Its a fine line to say well if he has a better postseason we pay him thr bag to well if he loses in the WC we wont.  Thats wishy washy.  

If you dont pay him and he gets to FA yet "has a better postseason" now you are really bidding and he may just say screw you ill go elsewhere and get the bag.  

Clearly better?  I mean I know the Eagles tanked last season at the end but they are clearly better in my opinion.  They showed it for much of the season until they lost themseleves.  GB at the youngest team in league trashed them in Dallas.  Now GB is only maturing and adding.  49ers yes.  Lions are better.   I cant say Falcons for sure, but its possible.  Cowboys will be left holding Dak and Lamb while their defense gets priced out.  Dak couldnt do it with maybe a top 5 roster for years.  Lets see him do it with a middling roster.    

Cowboys didnt time any of this correctly.  They have no other option than to pay Dak.  What are you going to pay Lamb the bag then say after this season..."meh we dont have good picks but we will just wing it at QB this season".   

27 minutes ago, purdygood said:

Jerry want's a Super Bowl before he dies... some wishes don't come true...

He said they were all in this year.  That meant losing a few guys and going with Zeke at RB.  

They are spinning their wheels.  

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

I think that is the point, you can’t win a Super Bowl with your one elite offensive player being a wide receiver.

It is the point.   Having a top WR is nice and all.  But having thr highest paid QB and WR is a bit idiotic use of money.   

Would Lamb elevate a new young QB?  Or does new young QB just have to be good on their own?   If a WR cant elevate a lesser QB thrn why are they so important.  

On the other hand we have seen QB put offenses on their back with middling talent.  

To have thr highest paid QB and WR at 1 time is wreckless.  

Its a homer post.  But I honestly think GB is showing the way of the future if these contracts keep up.  You find you QB and pay him.  While drafting a WR or 2 in mid rounds each year.  Once your stud WR wants a big deal you let him walk.  Or trade him for something before he gets to FA.  

Again it takes drafting sort of well.  But WR is routinely the deepest position in drafts with how the game has gone.  Your top paid QB should be able to elevate young WRs. 

Tua sucks in cold.   But they have a 1st round Waddle and the biggest weapon in thr NFL in Reek.  They scored 7 pts in KC last postseason.  

37 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

You can’t win a SB without any elite offensive players at all, either. 

44 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I get it.  When a team routinely has good regular seasons its hard to change.  But you are settling for it.  Theyve had one of the more talented rosters over the years.   Whether it is CD and other solid WRs.  Or thr great OL they had for years.  Or the defense that was chalked full of talent.   And its not enough.   So now you pay a QB and a WR new contracts to run it back with rosters that will be even harder to fill out to the degree they have had.  

Its a fine line to say well if he has a better postseason we pay him thr bag to well if he loses in the WC we wont.  Thats wishy washy.  

If you dont pay him and he gets to FA yet "has a better postseason" now you are really bidding and he may just say screw you ill go elsewhere and get the bag.  

Clearly better?  I mean I know the Eagles tanked last season at the end but they are clearly better in my opinion.  They showed it for much of the season until they lost themseleves.  GB at the youngest team in league trashed them in Dallas.  Now GB is only maturing and adding.  49ers yes.  Lions are better.   I cant say Falcons for sure, but its possible.  Cowboys will be left holding Dak and Lamb while their defense gets priced out.  Dak couldnt do it with maybe a top 5 roster for years.  Lets see him do it with a middling roster.    

Cowboys didnt time any of this correctly.  They have no other option than to pay Dak.  What are you going to pay Lamb the bag then say after this season..."meh we dont have good picks but we will just wing it at QB this season".   

I’m not sure where we are disagreeing here if at all.

CeeDee is a 25 year old elite offensive player. Dallas should want him on the roster 4-5 years from now regardless of the QB. Dak is 31 years old and has a history of postseason flame outs. Unless things go different this season I wouldn’t want to commit $50-60m per to him over the next 4-5 years. 

Dallas takes their shot this years and if it doesn’t work out, maybe they decide a journeyman bridge QB and project rookie is better value long term than Dak at his price tag. 

Either way, that doesn’t have much to do with whether signing CeeDer was the right move.

36 minutes ago, MDC said:

So why would you pay one elite wide receiver?

39 minutes ago, MDC said:

They signed DAK to elite QB money :dunno:

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m not sure where we are disagreeing here if at all.

CeeDee is a 25 year old elite offensive player. Dallas should want him on the roster 4-5 years from now regardless of the QB. Dak is 31 years old and has a history of postseason flame outs. Unless things go different this season I wouldn’t want to commit $50-60m per to him over the next 4-5 years. 

Dallas takes their shot this years and if it doesn’t work out, maybe they decide a journeyman bridge QB and project rookie is better value long term than Dak at his price tag. 

Either way, that doesn’t have much to do with whether signing CeeDer was the right move.

We do agree mostly.  It all stems from you just disagreeing with me saying they dont have a path to the SB with Dak.  

If Dak flames out this year and they just dont resign him.  Get nothing.  Waste a year of Lamb instead of getting ready for post Dak.  Its a lack of foresight.  They must have an opinion behind closed doors.  They are still waiting to see what hes got in him?  Again these are fine lines in how you are evaluating a QB you have had for years.  

What did seattle get for Russ not long ago?  And Denver got the rights to pay him a new nice extention.   

I sign Lamb if I am turning to a new cheap QB soon.  I do not pay Lamb if I am hooking my wagon to Dak for another handful of seasons.  If I must go that route I am paying Dak and thrn drafting WRs for the next 2 years while using Lamb money to keep defensive players.     

Instead if Dak Daks and flames out in a WC game.  They A. Get to sign him.  B. Get to watch him just freely walk and have a 19th overall pick to work with.  

Jerruh doesnt want to do what is better for the team long term.  He will push back money as well as he can to get a window of WC exits.  

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

They signed DAK to elite QB money :dunno:

Which has nothing to do with whether they should have paid CeeDee, the subject of your thread.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Which has nothing to do with whether they should have paid CeeDee, the subject of your thread.

nice deflection. 

53 minutes ago, MDC said:

8 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

We do agree mostly.  It all stems from you just disagreeing with me saying they dont have a path to the SB with Dak.  

If Dak flames out this year and they just dont resign him.  Get nothing.  Waste a year of Lamb instead of getting ready for post Dak.  Its a lack of foresight.  They must have an opinion behind closed doors.  They are still waiting to see what hes got in him?  Again these are fine lines in how you are evaluating a QB you have had for years.  

What did seattle get for Russ not long ago?  And Denver got the rights to pay him a new nice extention.   

I sign Lamb if I am turning to a new cheap QB soon.  I do not pay Lamb if I am hooking my wagon to Dak for another handful of seasons.  If I must go that route I am paying Dak and thrn drafting WRs for the next 2 years while using Lamb money to keep defensive players.     

Instead if Dak Daks and flames out in a WC game.  They A. Get to sign him.  B. Get to watch him just freely walk and have a 19th overall pick to work with.  

Jerruh doesnt want to do what is better for the team long term.  He will push back money as well as he can to get a window of WC exits.  

I’m not going to get into defending Jerry’s moves with Dak etc. I think they want to hedge on him because like you, they’re not sure if he can ever ride to the occasion. They probably should have drafted a developmental QB this year.

I guess where we disagree is CeeDee. I think you sign him regardless of the QB situation. If they opt to let Dak walk they’re certainly drafting a QB next year and you’ll want to surround him with talent. 

The other option is just totally blowing it up, in which case why sign CD, Dak or Parsons. Just let them all go.

Just now, edjr said:

nice deflection. 

The deflection was turning your thread about CD into a talk about Dak’s contract. 🤦‍♂️ 

21 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

So why would you pay one elite wide receiver?

Because CD is the difference between the Cowboys winning 11-12 games and having a path to a SB vs. being a borderline WC team with no legitimate shot at a title. 

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Because CD is the difference between the Cowboys winning 11-12 games and having a path to a SB vs. being a borderline WC team with no legitimate shot at a title. 

But we already agreed you can’t win a Super Bowl when you’re one elite player is a wide receiver. The media has been telling me the Cowboys have the pass to the Super Bowl for the last 30 years, and we know how that worked out.

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

But we already agreed you can’t win a Super Bowl when you’re one elite player is a wide receiver. 

We did? I said their one elite “offensive” player is CeeDee. 

Just now, MDC said:

We did? I said their one elite “offensive” player is CeeDee. 

And that gives you a path to the Super Bowl?

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

And that gives you a path to the Super Bowl?

CeeDee alone doesn’t. CeeDee plus their other pieces does. 

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

CeeDee alone doesn’t. CeeDee plus their other pieces does. 

What other pieces Ezekiel Elliott, Brandon Coooks?

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

What other pieces Ezekiel Elliott, Brandon Coooks?

I was thinking more of Micah Parsons and the OL. 

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You said top paid.  Mike Evans. Demaryous Thomas. Tyreek Hill.  

14 hours ago, edjr said:

none of them were the top.  keep trying 

In 2020, Mike Evans was #7 in total cash & #30 in cap hit.

In 2015, Demaryous Thomas was #4 in total cash & #3 in cap hit.

In 2019, Tyreek Hill was still on his rookie contract.  He lost in 2020 and the Chiefs didn't make it 2021.  He didn't get "paid" until he went to Miami.

If you're talking cash, Thomas and Evans should count... only Thomas if you're talking cap hit.

In 2024, CeeDee Lamb will likely neither be the #1 WR in terms of cash or cap hit.

51 minutes ago, MDC said:

I was thinking more of Micah Parsons and the OL. 

Although the Cowboys’ offensive line had been among the five best units in the league for years, that position is in jeopardy going forward. The Cowboys let left tackle Tyron Smithand center Tyler Biadasz walk in free agency, and now rookie left tackle Tyler Guyton is set to replace Smith while Brock Hoffman is expected to play center.

The offensive line, right now, is an unproven commodity and Parsons contract has not been extended. I don’t see a path to the Super Bowl.

23 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

In 2020, Mike Evans was #7 in total cash & #30 in cap hit.

In 2015, Demaryous Thomas was #4 in total cash & #3 in cap hit.

In 2019, Tyreek Hill was still on his rookie contract.  He lost in 2020 and the Chiefs didn't make it 2021.  He didn't get "paid" until he went to Miami.

If you're talking cash, Thomas and Evans should count... only Thomas if you're talking cap hit.

In 2024, CeeDee Lamb will likely neither be the #1 WR in terms of cash or cap hit.

In 2019 Hill signed a contract extension making him the second highest paid WR in the league. The chiefs won the SB. 

• Haha 1

Cowboys should revisit the Herschell Walker trade with the Vikes.  This time they can off load Dak Prescott and see if the Q.B. desperate Vikings will give them a decades worth of picks a second time. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

In 2019 Hill signed a contract extension making him the second highest paid WR in the league. The chiefs won the SB. 

The extension was signed before 2019 season... but the extension didn't hit the the Chiefs cap until 2020.  His rookie contract was what was on the books for the Chiefs 2019 season.

It's like Lamb this year.  Dallas' number for Lamb is whatever his rookie contract stated.  This deal won't hit the books until next season.

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tyreek hill got 6 million guaranteed of the 54 million :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Cowboys should revisit the Herschell Walker trade with the Vikes.  This time they can off load Dak Prescott and see if the Q.B. desperate Vikings will give them a decades worth of picks a second time. 

he’d be a real good backup for half the league

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

Tyreek hill got 6 million guaranteed of the 54 million :lol: 

They won back to back SBs after he left.  Go figure right?

1 hour ago, MDC said:

Vikings and Dolphins have no shot at winning it all. Is that because they paid a WR stupid money or their QB isn’t good enough? Both

Last QB the Cowboys picked in the 1st round was Aikman.  Jerruh doesn’t know what he’s doing.

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

They won back to back SBs after he left.  Go figure right?

throw him the damn ball!

26 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Although the Cowboys’ offensive line had been among the five best units in the league for years, that position is in jeopardy going forward. The Cowboys let left tackle Tyron Smithand center Tyler Biadasz walk in free agency, and now rookie left tackle Tyler Guyton is set to replace Smith while Brock Hoffman is expected to play center.

The offensive line, right now, is an unproven commodity and Parsons contract has not been extended. I don’t see a path to the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys had I believe 10 Pro Bowlers last year. It’s not like they’re bereft of talent other than CD. The question is whether they should have resigned Lamb. Try it stick to that.

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Vikings and Dolphins have no shot at winning it all. Is that because they paid a WR stupid money or their QB isn’t good enough? Both

Last QB the Cowboys picked in the 1st round was Aikman.  Jerruh doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Tyreek and Jefferson rank pretty far down the list of reasons why the Vikings and Dolphins won’t win a SB. 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

The Cowboys had I believe 10 Pro Bowlers last year. It’s not like they’re bereft of talent other than CD. The question is whether they should have resigned Lamb. Try it stick to that.

And they still flame out.  Listen I cant talk Lamb without talking Dak.  They go hand in hand.  2 run both back at a higher number with probably lesser rosters than those that exit early....is um....spinning wheels.  

Im for signing Lamb if they are moving off Dak.  But I think they should have traded him already.   Theyve had years of evaluation.  This isnt after his tookie contract stuff.   They will sign him though.  Win lose or draw on the season.  It will be same ol cowboys until the money JJ backs up hits fan.  Then a total rebuild.  Without ever really trying.   They have Zeke running the ball this year.   

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

And they still flame out.  Listen I cant talk Lamb without talking Dak.  They go hand in hand.  2 run both back at a higher number with probably lesser rosters than those that exit early....is um....spinning wheels.  

Im for signing Lamb if they are moving off Dak.  But I think they should have traded him already.   Theyve had years of evaluation.  This isnt after his tookie contract stuff.   They will sign him though.  Win lose or draw on the season.  It will be same ol cowboys until the money JJ backs up hits fan.  Then a total rebuild.  Without ever really trying.   They have Zeke running the ball this year.   

The topic of this thread is Lamb. If they resign Dak to a mega deal I’ll be right there with you.

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The cowboys have been rebuilding for 30 years.